To put myself on antidepressants?

(7 Posts)
Twalls Wed 16-Nov-16 10:50:34

I think I maybe depressed although I can't honestly say I feel "upset". I have next to no energy, have given up everything hobby and interest wise, can't even be bothered to pop to the shops. I'm just working and laying in the sofa in between. My appetite is nos next to zero - I am having to force myself to eat one meal a day. As a result I'm rapidly losing weight. I'm normally a chocoholic yet I've had the same bar in the cupboard for days and I simply can't be arsed with it. I've spoken to dr on the phone who says I'm just slightly anaemia (had all bloods done last week) and there are no clinical reasons for me feeling like this. I just want to cry but I don't really know why. I'm at work now, hiding in my car because I just can't face it. Again, I don't know why.

I can't get to see the doctor because I'm always at bleeding work. Dr has said I can go in at 2 today but I'm stuck at work until 5 and the surgery is at the other end of the city so not like I can go in my lunch hour.

I have some old sertraline in the drawer. I'm tempted to just take them.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 16-Nov-16 10:54:55

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. It does sound like you have symptoms associated with depression, I really relate to the lying on the sofa giving up hobbies part.

However please don't just take the tablets - I know you've had them before but you really need to have antidepressants under the care of a doctor. I know you've said you can't get in but work has to come second to this just once. I know it probably feels too hard to leave work right now but if there's anyway you can just go I really think you need to.

If not, can you identify a time tomorrow and ring up for an emergency appointment?

Etak15 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:57:17

If your anaemic you need to get some iron supplements they will make you feel better for a start but If you've had antidepressants in the past then your GP should have identified that when you went with all above symptoms and discusses it with you, didn't gp or you mention your history of depression and discuss if this could be the prob this time around? I think you should go into work either explain that you have an urgent appt and go to the appointment and discuss things further with GP.

almondpudding Wed 16-Nov-16 10:58:55

I would not take the sertraline on the basis that your doctor might prescribe you something different. You would then have the hassle of having to take a few days off the sertraline to clear your body for the new medication.

Just go and see the doctor ASAP.

EveOnline2016 Wed 16-Nov-16 11:00:32

Go to the doctors. Work will understand and say it's to discuss recent blood test if you don't want to let on about MH problems.

Wookiecookies Wed 16-Nov-16 11:06:03

Sympathies to you OP.

I am in A very similar predicament currently (except for loss of appetite as I tend to gain weight- great!). I am already on anti d's for severe PMDD symptoms, but at the moment I seem to be all over the place and it doesnt seem to correlate with my cycle this time. I cant be arsed with anything at all and I wish I could just snap out of it. Total brain fog right now! My Anxiety is also off the scale.

I think you need to go to the docs, dont take the tablets as they may not be right with your symptoms or the right dose for you. I do suffer from severe vitamin D deficiency over winter, so I am wondering if that may have dropped again hence my symptoms (which reminds me, I should take my bloody tablets) . Did your doc check your vit D levels?

JellyBelli Wed 16-Nov-16 11:13:15

Dont take old meds, go see your GP. they need to know you are taking them. If does sound like you are depressed but your GP can also check you for anemia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now