Talk

Advanced search

To think that a baby's sole purpose in life is to steal your sleep

(38 Posts)
MrsMcAvoy Wed 16-Nov-16 00:25:38

Currently sat on the floor of my 9 month old DS's bedroom while he rolls around his cot whinging. I REFUSE to bring him into bed with me. Someone tell me he will go to sleep soon...

ReallyTired Wed 16-Nov-16 00:30:36

No a child's purpose in life is to empty your bank account, create mess and generally rule your life.

Sleep deprivation is awful and nine months is a hard age. Do you want to swop your insommanic for my grumpy teen who refuses to do as he told?

spacefrog35 Wed 16-Nov-16 00:35:50

I hope it gets better. My 7 month old DD is currently doing exactly the same wine

EveryDayIsASchoolDay Wed 16-Nov-16 00:36:44

Good luck op. My ds used to need to be swaddled to get him off to sleep. Luckily he sleeps like a dream now.
It's very trying times. Definitely wouldn't start taking him into your bed. Rod for your back.

MrsMcAvoy Wed 16-Nov-16 00:45:05

Reallytired I'm not sure actually, at least mine can't answer back when I tell him off so no I think I'll decline the swap!

He's now decided to stand up and stare at me through the bars in the cot. And because I'm ignoring him he's blowing bubbles. It's going to be a long night

Cellardoor23 Wed 16-Nov-16 00:46:14

I feel your pain. My 6 month old is currently fidgeting about refusing to go to sleep. I have tried everything. It seems to be getting later and later everyday. It probably doesn't help that he's teething either.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 16-Nov-16 00:56:01

They save all that sleep for when they grow up into lazy teenagers.

RoadrunnerMeepMeep Wed 16-Nov-16 01:01:53

My baby wakes up every single night, usually more than once. She's 14 months old and we're currently sitting on the sofa waiting for her to drop back off. I concur, they're all about the sleep deprivation. Luckily my ds started sleeping through around 9 months.

ReallyTired Wed 16-Nov-16 01:02:30

Children are quite nice between the ages of four and twelve. Then they are hit by a dim ray and lose the power of rational thought and speech. Just like Kevin the teenager.

I think that nine months to about two and half is really tough because they are mobile, lack any sense and you get lots of sleepless nights with teething. Some people find potty training stressful and that can last until four if you are unlucky.

It gets easier in someways but harder in others. My teen is safe on stairs and doesn't need nappies. There are different dangers like the Internet.

Alorsmum Wed 16-Nov-16 01:03:40

You are so not being unreasonable

NovemberInDailyFailLand Wed 16-Nov-16 01:05:55

I have a 20 year old and a one month old, so the worst of both worlds. One is stealing my sleep and the other is draining my bank account.

MrsMcAvoy Wed 16-Nov-16 01:12:37

I thought I'd managed to get him off to sleep but nope, he's sat up crying now. Ffs. I do completely understand why parents end up just bringing them into bed with them.
He clearly just wants me to be awake forever. He can get ready if he thinks he's ever having a hungover lie in when he's a teenager!

firsttimemum15 Wed 16-Nov-16 01:17:20

If he went with you though and you all got sleep is it a problem?

No judgement as i totally understanf where youre coming from

MrsMcAvoy Wed 16-Nov-16 01:26:40

That's the thing, I don't really get any sleep as I'm quite a light sleeper and every time he shuffles it wakes me up. Plus I daren't roll over or move in case I wake him up confused

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 16-Nov-16 01:34:54

I think you might be onto something here...wink

I once told someone that parenting a baby is like a neverending quest for sleep. I stand by it. 4 years later

chollawallabollaholla Wed 16-Nov-16 01:40:28

I accidentally woke mine whilst trying to roll him back on to his back (why does he insist on sleeping on his face shock). Big mistake!

MrsMcAvoy Wed 16-Nov-16 01:41:24

I was just thinking of all the nights I used to have a right paddy and cry for my mum for no reason when I was little...sorry mum confused

abigwideworld Wed 16-Nov-16 01:41:53

My baby is two weeks old. YANBU

Aliveinwanderland Wed 16-Nov-16 02:32:15

3 week old who tonight has decided he will only sleep on me and cries whenever I put him down.

Last night he was brill, 3 blocks of 3 hourly feeds. Tonight he wants to feed constantly and isn't sleeping between them. I'm exhausted!

Chocolatefudgecake100 Wed 16-Nov-16 02:39:18

My babys weeks old currently staring at me and smiling (yes hes smiled from young not wind i can tell the difference) whay you smiling at? Go to sleep ughhhh he will need a feed again soon

Absofrigginlootly Wed 16-Nov-16 03:03:58

I presume this thread is meant to be lighthearted? If so, yes nice been (am) there too... My 2 year old is currently going through the 2 year sleep regression and I'm sooo tired.

However, in case this might help you:

neuroanthropology.net/2008/12/21/cosleeping-and-biological-imperatives-why-human-babies-do-not-and-should-not-sleep-alone/

^^written by one of the worlds leading researchers in infant sleep on why babies aren't meant to sleep through and sleep deeply and why they want to be next to their mums
smile

Absofrigginlootly Wed 16-Nov-16 03:04:37

*i have been

Not sure where that random 'nice' came from?! blush

LolaStarr Wed 16-Nov-16 03:06:04

YANBU. My baby thinks every 1.5 hours is acceptable for feeds through night. She is only 2 weeks old though so I suppose I'll let her off!

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Wed 16-Nov-16 04:09:22

It doesn't get better, 5 yr old ds1 and 1 yr old ds2 are tag teaming dh and I😬

Aliveinwanderland Wed 16-Nov-16 04:23:15

Lolastar every 90 minutes is Beth acceptable at one week! I was doing every 30 minutes at one point with DS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now