Did you fail a subject in uni and did it matter in the real world?

(41 Posts)
AteRiri Tue 15-Nov-16 23:06:45

Just that question really.

Couchpotato3 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:08:07

Failed 2 subjects in first year and one of them again in second year. The one I failed twice I ended up teaching eventually. Go figure!

harderandharder2breathe Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:04

Failed a module of one of my A levels, still got a C overall though

123bananas Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:24

Yes 1 half module in my first year. Mental block on the day for some reason, I had revised. Didnt matter as I could lose 1 half module and still pass, got a 2:1. Didnt use my degree in my subsequent career much anyway.

catlover1987 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:49

I failed a subject and it didn't matter as I had enough credits to graduate. In the real world, I'm not sure my degree has even mattered!

AnaG1ypta Tue 15-Nov-16 23:15:11

Yes. A module of organic chemistry. Got a condoned credit due to migraine and otherwise perfect A/A* record.

Now teaching Science and still hate hard Chemistry questions...

HorseDentist Tue 15-Nov-16 23:16:01

I failed the entire course!
I was in the final year and had a breakdown. Submitted a half arsed attempt and wasn't well enough when resubmission closed.
It hasn't mattered one tiny bit. I have a great graduate level job.

FlyingElbows Tue 15-Nov-16 23:16:21

Economics, makes zero sense to me. I hated university anyway so I jacked it in at the end of second year.

sallysparrow157 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:24:31

I failed a couple of subjects in my first year - anatomy because I just didn't study enough and gastro because it was a horrible exam with negative marking - the average mark across the year was 23%!! I was generally quite crap in uni, didn't fail anything else but was never a star pupil.
In my grown up job, I work in a pretty challenging speciality, when I applied for my subspeciality training post there were only 7 jobs in the country and I got a job at first attempt, then got my dream consultant job and was headhunted from another unit at the same time!

Before I massively fucked up my anatomy exam I'd never failed anything (apart from my driving test) in my life, failure was getting a b rather than an a. The realisation that adult life is fucking hard sometimes and that you need to work to achieve was a very very valuable lesson in humility and the importance of hard work

LackOfAdhesiveDucks Wed 16-Nov-16 03:04:57

I failed a class in my 3rd year of uni. Did it make a difference? At the time, yes, because it was a prerequisite for all my courses in 4th year. I had to get special permission from my professors to waive the prereq on the basis that I was otherwise a very strong student with almost all Bs and As. Does it make a difference now? Only in a positive way. I'm a maths teacher and I now know what it's like to work really hard to understand something and still not get it (I found secondary school extremely easy). I think the experience makes me better at my job so I'm happy it happened (but at the time it felt like the end of the world!).

AteRiri Wed 16-Nov-16 07:22:34

Thank you for the responses. I'm afraid I bombed an exam (I studied hard for it, but my logic was wrong - it's a programming test) and it does feel like doom.

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 16-Nov-16 07:30:19

I failed a couple. Almost failed the entire thing due to illness and personal problems! Ended up with a 2.2, but people are usually more interested in my degree subject rather than grade (many people I tell have no idea what it actually is confused). I've been unconditionally accepted for a Masters next year, so I think if the potential is there, it can be seen regardless.

Alabastard Wed 16-Nov-16 07:31:56

Didn't go to uni. Makes no difference.

Pengling Wed 16-Nov-16 08:08:57

I failed both exams in one subject and only scraped a pass in it because my coursework was ok. I tried hard, but really shouldn't have taken that subject! Overall I came out with a first, then got a PhD and now do academic research, so in one sense it didn't matter at all. In another sense my working life would be easier if I had more of an aptitude for that subject but I get by.

Maltropp Wed 16-Nov-16 08:12:40

Failed property law at uni, got it remarked and given a pass at the pass mark. Ended up as a property lawyer!

I failed a module in 3d animation. I didn't care at the time and it didn't stop me from graduating with a first. Life has it's ups and downs. It's how you brush yourself off and move on that matters. In my case I switched pathways, dropped any module that wasn't essay or exam based, so nothing practical, changed my title and redirected myself towards things that I am better at, more interested in, and work harder for.

fruityb Wed 16-Nov-16 08:19:05

Failed a unit in women's writing that was appallingly taught and had the most ambiguous essay title ever. Most people who took it bombed it. Now teach English lol

honkinghaddock Wed 16-Nov-16 08:24:41

I failed some of the modules of my degree but still came out with a 2.1 overall as a few modules could be discounted when calculating the overall classification. 10 years later I did similar modules with the OU and got equivalents to 1sts.

GrinchyMcGrincherson Wed 16-Nov-16 08:26:59

I failed one in first year but had enough credits from the rest to advance. I just binned it off and carried on. It was a foundation module.

I know people who bombed later and just did resits and Some who didn't need to as the other scores were good enough to bring up the bad one.

DrDreReturns Wed 16-Nov-16 08:29:51

I failed an exam in my first year, then failed it again in the summer resit. I finally passed it at the third time of asking. Has made no difference at all to my career.

PurpleDaisies Wed 16-Nov-16 08:31:04

Yes but I still got a first overall. Bloody migraine in the exam and me not telling anyone (plus not having revised enough).

It happens and it's rarely a disaster. You may well not have done as badly as you think.

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 16-Nov-16 08:34:41

I failed one exam in first year. I can still remember the "very disappointed in you" look in my director of studies eyes. She had interviewed me at admissions and it was her subject I failed, so she clearly thought she shouldn't have let me in in the first place!

The next year it clicked and I totally aced that subject.

Graduated with a 2:1.

Put it behind you and focus on what you need to do next.

thecraftyfox Wed 16-Nov-16 08:50:55

Failed a module "Political Geography of Europe since 1945" in first year. My own fault as I barely attended lectures. Did no more geography after that and focused on EngLit, social policy and politics. Was very ill and had to repeat 2nd year. Continued to be ill and had to take 2 years out midway through 3rd year. Handed in a dissertation to a department which technically no longer existed. Got a 2:1 and surprised everyone!

FinallyHere Wed 16-Nov-16 08:58:57

As lots of PPs have pointed out, failing something can teach you things that will be very useful. It depends on what you do next. If you give up and not trying, well, that's it. If you work out what went wring and what you need to do differently, it can be very, very useful.

The question often get used in interviews for roles in Technology 'tell us what went wrong and what did you do about it'. I have loads of examples I can draw on. Things rarely go right all the time, successful people acknowledge that and use the experience to do better next time.

All the best, you will go on to do great things.

Statelychangers Wed 16-Nov-16 09:01:37

I failed one part of my finals - I was allowed to resit it and graduated with a 2:1 - have never used my degree though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now