Talk

Advanced search

Would of; could of; should of - why? Just WHY? Makes my teeth itch, AIBU?

(237 Posts)
LadyStoic Tue 15-Nov-16 21:36:35

I'm convinced I never saw any of the abominations above on MN a decade ago, even a fecking year ago. Now popping up like a persistent bloody virushmmangry

Just me or should I get my coat?

Oh, and another thing, if folks must use it, why the fuck do they I swear we are being infiltrated spell 'hon' as 'hun'?

<dons that flame proof coat>

Wolfiefan Tue 15-Nov-16 21:37:51

People pronounce could've as could of. So they write it like that. Gives me the rage!

fluffiphlox Tue 15-Nov-16 21:41:41

I'm with you but there's plenty on here who think spelling is a rather freeform art.

ChickyDuck Tue 15-Nov-16 21:48:02

If you want to type how you pronounce, try should've, would've, could've!!

BIWI Tue 15-Nov-16 21:49:07

... along with 'your' instead of 'you're'

BossWitch Tue 15-Nov-16 21:51:12

I've said this before and been flamed for it, but here I go again...

People. Are. Thick.

dons tin hat and fireproof clothing

LadyStoic Tue 15-Nov-16 21:53:10

But I don't <wails> even UNDERSTAND why? Surely, other than anyone for whom English is a second language, we all went to school? confused

And why now and not even a couple of years ago eh?

Is some kind of conspiracy by the huns from the 'other' place IMHO. I might e-mail David Icke and enquire grin

ArmySal Tue 15-Nov-16 21:57:14

Multiple threads every single month on the subject make my teeth itch more.

MarklahMarklah Tue 15-Nov-16 21:57:52

For the same reason people say "break lights" are on their cars, or that there is "alot" of noise, or they've been to X location "aswell". For the same reason that people say they're "not aloud" to smoke indoors, or that they have seen "unexceptable behavur".

You can blame autocorrect, but I think people freestyle spelling.

I completely agree, by the way. I find it incredibly frustration. My generation have been privileged to have an education. My parents were not so lucky - they had their schools bombed, they had to relocate to other areas and face disruption/classroom sharing daily.

Topseyt Tue 15-Nov-16 21:58:42

I totally agree with you. I too think it has got immeasurably worse recently.

I'm afraid it does make those posters seem less intelligent, even though that might in some cases be an unfair impression.

MarklahMarklah Tue 15-Nov-16 22:00:16

Gah! Autocorrect caught me out!! Frustrating. Frustrating. Not frustration. It causes frustration because it is frustrating!

havingabadhairday Tue 15-Nov-16 22:11:50

I read a fanfiction once by someone who made it very clear she wanted no negative feedback or corrections. She'd spelt 'taut' as 'taught' all through it.

It is quite funny when people can't 'bare' something, or when various fandoms disagree about what's 'cannon'.

0phelia Tue 15-Nov-16 22:13:22

YANBU
NOT AT ALL
AND I HATE POSTS ALL IN CAPS.

minionsrule Tue 15-Nov-16 22:16:07

So me saying Shoulda, woulda, coulda would really piss you off then? Sorry , there was a song along these line some years ago and I just use that phrase now........ <gets coat and puts hood firmly up>

DonaldStott Tue 15-Nov-16 22:19:01

I cannot bear to see 'rediculous'

WaitrosePigeon Tue 15-Nov-16 22:19:12

I saw proberbly the other day...

PNGirl Tue 15-Nov-16 22:23:32

Some people genuinely think it is "of" and the more people see it written down, the more people think it must be correct. I can hear it in the voice of 2 people I know - definitely an "of". I sometimes (maybe once every 10 times) can take it no longer and have to correct it. It's the number one worst offence to me!

passingcloud Tue 15-Nov-16 22:28:14

People who say 'I text so-and-so'. Texted. Texted is the past participle. FFS.

Badhairday1001 Tue 15-Nov-16 22:28:26

Why do you even care?

passingcloud Tue 15-Nov-16 22:29:00

Because it's irritating.

Badhairday1001 Tue 15-Nov-16 22:31:35

Is it? I must be very relaxed, I don't care at all.

KathArtic Tue 15-Nov-16 22:42:08

You could have made your OP clearer!

DrFoxtrot Tue 15-Nov-16 23:04:17

YANBU sometimes I think there's no hope and it will become acceptable to use 'of' instead of 'have'.

BolivarAtasco Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:55

I care too and it makes me cross that people care so little about written communication. And I do judge people for using terrible grammar and text speak. If that makes me a bad person then so be it. At least I won't be the one writing an incompehensible job application using 'ur' instead of 'your' because a load of idiots have told me it doesn't matter.

ClopySow Tue 15-Nov-16 23:18:07

"Teeth itch" is pretty annoying too, to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now