Talk

Advanced search

Marine tank wife

(30 Posts)
princessladylou Tue 15-Nov-16 18:37:44

I am standing here with my head in my hands, well my phone ATM but I am starting to feel second best to a bloody fish tank!!!

My husband loves his marine tank, and I understand it's a expensive hobbie and needs a lot of maintaince but hello, wife over here!!! Sod the fish tank and romance your bloody wife!!

If there are wife's/ partners/ girlfriend on here who's other half is totally engrossed and spends all his money on a fish tank - I feel your frustration!

MissVictoria Tue 15-Nov-16 18:40:14

Are they at least pretty fishies? I have the worst nightmares about this massive fat black puffy eyed monster fish, where i'll walk past it's tank (and for who knows what reasons sometimes kids paddling pool) that it lives in, and it jumps out and goes down my clothes. Not had it for a while, wonder if it's now on the cards for tonight :P

Greengoddess12 Tue 15-Nov-16 18:45:39

Dh was a fisherman op and used to take his dad to competitions. That's once a month all day Saturday while I juggled 4 kids Saturday activities. hmm

Since my lovely fil died he's never been again and confessed he only went as fil was lonely.

Fil left a massive fish tank and dbil had it. No more fishy tales.

Op dress as a mermaid that should distract him.

princessladylou Tue 15-Nov-16 19:09:32

This is what I contend with!

LottieL Tue 15-Nov-16 19:13:59

Looks nice though!

BadKnee Tue 15-Nov-16 19:36:10

It's beautiful OP! (

TribbleTrouble Tue 15-Nov-16 19:46:38

That's so lovely!! There are worse hobbies aren't there.

Laiste Tue 15-Nov-16 19:52:45

Oh XH and i had a fish tank for a while. Not marine, but quite a big one. Never again. IME it was always humming too loudly or vibrating because the motor for the filter had shifted against something and to be honest it only looked good for about 20% of the time. Rest of the time was just a count down to the next clean out.

Your DHs tank looks impressive OP. It looks like he's playing a guitar to the fish in that pic grin

I feel for you - genuinely the reason XH is an X is a lot to do with his bloody hobby. (it wasn't fish)

Julie30 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:52:53

I feel your pain!! At one point, my DH had 9 tanks, all of which took bloody HOURS of maintenance!! He would think nothing of driving to his favourite fish shop (3hour round trip) and spent god knows how much on fish 'stuff'!! Weekends could be ruined by it! Thankfully now we have DC, he has had to massively cut back!!

purplepingu Tue 15-Nov-16 19:54:15

I could have literally written your post OP.

DoubleCarrick Tue 15-Nov-16 19:56:07

As a kid, when visiting my dad, the only way me and my brother could get him up in the morning in time for football was to tell him that one of his prized marine fish were dead grin he was always awake and up within seconds!!

Dionysuss Tue 15-Nov-16 20:03:10

Ooh I have tank envy envy

I had a lovely set up like that once upon a time.....until dh came home pissed late one night and fed it a kebab. I awoke to a tank of death, covered in a layer of donner fat. Fish dead, filter system buggered. I don't have the heart, or money to start again.

HuskyLover1 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:18:09

He fed them kebabs? Fuck.

Ippyskippy Tue 15-Nov-16 20:31:48

Kebab!
Shit that beats my toddler feeding the fish washing up liquid because the "tank needed cleaning".

roseteapot101 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:40:26

i think men need hobbys it seems a common thing for some men its computers,some its video games,some its guns if your in usa,for some its trains,gardens for mine its table top gaming/writing .At least he knows how to balance hobbys/life though he will spend hours working on it but we always have time to take or watch tv together

shock Dionysuss

Firecrackerangel Tue 15-Nov-16 20:41:37

Wow I thought it was just me! The hours of maintenance, all the useful fishy and biochemical knowledge I have now acquired hmm the hours lost to marine shops...

But after years of arguments I have finally won. He loves me more than the tank!grin

Sciurus83 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:42:45

It is lovely though!

Owllady Tue 15-Nov-16 20:43:29

What is it with men and fish? grin

liz70 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:56:21

"I had a lovely set up like that once upon a time.....until dh came home pissed late one night and fed it a kebab. I awoke to a tank of death, covered in a layer of donner fat. Fish dead, filter system buggered. I don't have the heart, or money to start again."

Did you LTB?

Firecrackerangel Tue 15-Nov-16 20:59:57

I'm sure if I'd have done that, my husband works have left me grin

Firecrackerangel Tue 15-Nov-16 21:00:31

*would

ShowOfHands Wed 16-Nov-16 07:41:44

i think men need hobbys

I think most people need hobbies. My DH has a few but so do I. We had to shift the hobby/other things balance on having dc which is only to be expected.

Maudlinmaud Wed 16-Nov-16 07:48:50

I like the tank op it's so pretty. Dh also has "hobbies" I think you are lucky on this one, fish don't bark!

RowenaRavenclawsLostDiaphragm Wed 16-Nov-16 08:15:10

Yes, I am also one of those wives.

My DH actually designed our extension to include a marine tank built into one of the interior walls.

It's pretty huge so the noise drives me insane as well as the fact he constantly uses all my kitchen appliances for the damn thing. Goodbye bowls, tongs, tea towels, measuring jugs etc

fishonabicycle Wed 16-Nov-16 08:35:04

Mine is obsessed with a game cat Clash of the clans ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now