Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that my GP doesn't want to give me the pill?

(211 Posts)
AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:41:37

I realise he's just doing his job and I probably am BU but I just need to vent and hopefully get some advice.

I have taken the pill on and off over the past 11 years with no problems however my dad has suffered two blood clots over the past couple of years. Because of this the GP is now reluctant to prescribe me the pill as he feels it's too risky.

I'm annoyed but now I have no clue what my options are. I have just recently entered a new relationship and I don't want to rely on condoms alone. I had the implant a few years ago and hated it - mood swings, depression, heavy and painful periods, etc. So that's out.

So what does that leave? Mini pill, coil (no thanks!) or injection (which is what GP is pushing me to have). I've read up on the injection previously and it just sounds horrible.

Arrggh, I want my pill, damn it! angry sad

StarlingMurderation Tue 15-Nov-16 15:43:39

Don't the implant and injection just have the same hormones as the pill? Or are they lower dose?

Blueskyrain Tue 15-Nov-16 15:44:50

Try Cerazette?

qwom Tue 15-Nov-16 15:45:57

Vagina ring? The hormones stay in the area, the same with the merina coil... You need to change it every 3 weeks

AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:46:12

I think they are the same hormones, yes. That's why I don't want it.

If I find smear tests painful (or rather I find the speculum painful) them a coil fitting is just going to be agonizing, isn't?

AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:46:38

^then

RhodaBorrocks Tue 15-Nov-16 15:49:09

If you didn't react well to the implant I'd steer clear of the injection. Unlike the implant you can't remove it if you don't get on with it and are stuck feeling lousy for 3 months. The hormones are very similar. Go with the mini pill.

I had to stop taking the pill because of family history of stroke and because I get migraines with aura. For a while I took the mini pill but after I had DS I switched to the implant and luckily had no side effects.

qwom Tue 15-Nov-16 15:50:29

Coil will be sore, plus the cramping after...

Ask your doc about the vaginal ring. The hormones stay local to it so should be less mood swings and it won't hurt...

lovelilies Tue 15-Nov-16 15:50:40

I put off having a coil for years. Decided to try it and so far (only 2 months) it's been fine!
Insertion was super quick, quicker than a smear test. And they gave me some local anaesthetic.

lovelilies Tue 15-Nov-16 15:51:33

I have the copper one with no hormones, so no side effects. Not even cramping or anything grin

Poppyred85 Tue 15-Nov-16 15:51:41

I'm assuming you mean the combined pill? In which case YABU to be annoyed! What would you say if a friend had a blood clot after their GP prescribed the pill knowing they had a close relative who had had 2 blood clots and therefore were going against all safe prescribing advice? I imagine you'd be upset and angry at that doctor. So how is this any different? Your GP is doing their best to look after you!! However if you're annoyed at the situation because you don't know what options are available then either see them or another GP again to discuss, visit a family planning clinic or visit www.fpa.org.uk which has lots of info on what options there are.

JassyRadlett Tue 15-Nov-16 15:51:46

What is the GP quoting as the risks of the pill?

Graphista Tue 15-Nov-16 15:52:10

Feel your pain. I'd been on the pill for 20+ years not only with no problems but as a treatment for symptoms of a gynae issue. Soon as I hit 40 my practice refused to prescribe!

What followed was months of new treatments for the gynae issue several of which caused major problems due to side effects and allergies - ridiculous!

NICE guidelines are just that GUIDELINES they're not set in stone!!

AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:52:25

Never heard of a vaginal ring before. Will have to look that up.

Sweetpea15 Tue 15-Nov-16 15:53:08

Everyone reacts differently to the injection. My mother in law hated it and I love it. I was awful on the pill too, but with the injection I'm fine.

Wolfiefan Tue 15-Nov-16 15:53:10

Make an appointment to discuss your options? If there's a risk of blood clot in not surprised your GP is reluctant to prescribe.

qwom Tue 15-Nov-16 15:53:26

I had copper coil fitted, cramped for a day after fitting and my periods were irregular and painful. Had it taken out after 15 months

JassyRadlett Tue 15-Nov-16 15:54:11

Sorry, ignore me, I can see it was because of your dad's health - I assume it's something that can have a hereditary link.

Meadows76 Tue 15-Nov-16 15:54:17

Coil will be sore, plus the cramping after... . Will it?

I have had 4 and never experi need anything other than minor cramping

AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:55:14

Just that I have a much higher risk of a blood clot if I have a close family member with a blood clotting disorder.

FeckinCrutches Tue 15-Nov-16 15:55:21

Damn that doctor trying to keep you safe hmm my daughter has been prescribed Cerazette because of my history of blood clots.

Ebbenmeowgi Tue 15-Nov-16 15:55:54

I found the coil a lot less uncomfortable than a smear, it was really quick! Was some cramping after but my periods were absolutely normal (as in no extra pain), plus you can keep them in for years.

AVirginLitTheCandle Tue 15-Nov-16 15:56:20

I should add that I'm only 25, am not overweight and am healthy. It's just the fact there is a history of blood clots in my family.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 15-Nov-16 15:56:38

After half an hour of trying to insert the coil they had to give up.
It was NOT fun.
I love the implant. I'm on my 2nd one.
No periods. Only downside for me was weight gain.
How old are you now?
I would go back and insist on getting the pill again.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 15-Nov-16 15:57:04

My friend had the injection and loved it.
However, it's not good for your 'bones' I believe!!???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now