Talk

Advanced search

School funding

(8 Posts)
ilovechocolate07 Tue 15-Nov-16 11:39:55

We've been asked by both of our children's schools for a voluntary £15 (or more, or less depending what we can afford) to help with funding this year as the budget is tighter than ever before. I'm happy to contribute time, we help a lot with (very successful to the tune of 20k raised last year) PTA events and are likely to contribute to this too but are they being unreasonable asking this? I haven't researched recent funding cuts so happy to learn from posters in the know. I have worked in schools in a difderent area for years and we never asked for this so perhaps it's a geographical thing. How bad is it?

ilovechocolate07 Tue 15-Nov-16 11:41:04

Meant to say different area, sorry.

TeaBelle Tue 15-Nov-16 11:43:02

I am 30 and my parents paid a voluntary contribution when I was at school. I don't think their request, worded ad you have suggested, is in any way unreasonable and the amount they are asking is also not unreasonable.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 15-Nov-16 11:44:43

It's £15, why wouldn't you pay it if it means the school doesn't struggle and your DCs education won't suffer?! confused

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Nov-16 11:50:53

It can be a geographical thing - for example a small rural school will receive far less funding than a huge city school.

But it can also depend on how well the schools manage their budgets and what they decide to spend the funding on.

My local primary has a free breakfast club (very deprived area). It costs the school a lot, but the positive impact it's had on the school and families, is amazing.

ilovechocolate07 Tue 15-Nov-16 11:52:51

I have said we're likely to pay it. Just wondering what people's take on it is. Is it a location thing or just dependent on the school?

ilovechocolate07 Tue 15-Nov-16 11:56:01

The schools would like i pads and I think that they would like to spend money on maintaining the pools.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 15-Nov-16 12:04:37

It's a sad fact that schools budgets are being slashed and I think anything they can do to make up the difference is ok as long as it's clear that it's voluntary and the children of those who can't or won't pay won't be disadvantaged

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now