Advanced search

WIBU to ask what happens if...

(26 Posts)
RubyWho Tue 15-Nov-16 09:15:37

You're looking to move out of your rented property (lease has ended).
Agency fees are all £500-600+.
You'll know you'll fail the credit check anyway because, life.
Can't extend your overdraft, can't get a loan or CC, can't stay with family.
Rent is not a problem (can afford it now and will be able to afford once moved), but the fees and associated costs make moving an impossibility.
No entitlement to benefits of any kind.

What do you do?
(Not a troll, just a very sad, worried long time lurker and occasional poster).

LetsAllEatCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 09:29:03

Is extending your lease not an option?

FestiveFanny Tue 15-Nov-16 09:31:26

Have you contacted the local housing office?

There is help for deposit schemes and discretionary housing payments.

indigox Tue 15-Nov-16 09:33:49

Property with a private landlord - removes the fees and credit check, for a property with a letting agency look into a guarantor?

GashleyCrumbTiny Tue 15-Nov-16 09:36:29

Could you borrow from family? Not ideal but maybe an option. What can you realistically cut back on to try and put away some savings? I'm guessing this wouldn't yield enough in the time frame you have but might get you part way there. Can you negotiate paying the agency fees in installments? Clutching at straws and it's a long time since I've rented!
flowers for you.

UnsuccessfullyAdulting Tue 15-Nov-16 09:41:45

Gumtree has flats to rent privately, not through agencies etc. You obviously have to be careful and be happy that the landlord is genuine etc, but this may be an option. Some landlords may prefer to rent this way to avoid paying agencies themselves. However, again this means there won't be a mediator between you and the LL so you do need to be assured of their genuinity.

PurpleDaisies Tue 15-Nov-16 09:44:22

I think there's a government scheme that helps people with rental deposits/fees. Contact your local authority and they may be able to help.

GoldenBlue Tue 15-Nov-16 09:52:26

Ask for help from citizens advice. Likely recommendation will be that you shouldn't leave voluntarily at the end of the tenancy but should wait to be evicted, then the council will have a duty to house you. Being in that position may help you to get support for deposit etc from the council.

Sounds a horrid situation, hope you're ok

x2boys Tue 15-Nov-16 10:41:01

i was in a similar situation but had a few months leeway to sort it out fortunatley where i live there are not massive waiting lists for social housing so we got a house within about six/seven months im guessing thjis is not an option?

RhodaBorrocks Tue 15-Nov-16 10:43:17

You can get a loan for deposit and fees from your local credit union.

Or else you wait it out and go down the eviction route to get temporary council accommodation, buy it's a stressful process for all involved.

Arfarfanarf Tue 15-Nov-16 10:44:27

I'd go to shelter for advice.

RubyWho Tue 15-Nov-16 11:27:10

Thanks all, I'll try to answer where I can.

Loan from family or a guarantor isn't an option; I don't know anyone who meets the criteria (except for my Mother but she failed a credit check too so worrying all round).

Council's advice was to stay on friends sofa's for the foreseeable. I'm in a joint tenancy and everyone else is moving on, so I don't know about digging my heels in until she evicts.

I'll speak to Shelter and look into a Credit Union. Thanks all.

RubyWho Tue 15-Nov-16 11:27:59

Social housing lists not an option sadly; I'm in the SE, not a chance, I'm not a priority i don't think.

Crazeecurlee Tue 15-Nov-16 12:52:12

Can you try renting from a person rather than an agency? A little less secure but if you can't pay the fees then maybe it will help. Try spareroom or gumtree? Most require references but not necessarily credit checks.

indigox Tue 15-Nov-16 12:56:59

If you don't have a child, renting a room/flatsharing may be your easiest option?

FameNameGameLame Tue 15-Nov-16 12:59:22

Council's advice was to stay on friends sofa's for the foreseeable.
I have no great advice. However your post has made me very grateful for my home and geography.

Could you sell some stuff on eBay/gumtree/similar? Are you creative - is there anything you could make coming up to the Christmas period could generate a bit of an extra income? Could you offer to look after friends kids while they do their Christmas shopping this year?

mum2Bomg Tue 15-Nov-16 12:59:26

If you can afford the rent then try and find a private rental and avoid agents. It's worked for me for 6yrs in three different properties.

mum2Bomg Tue 15-Nov-16 13:00:13

Or find new housemates for the new tenancy?

Ncbecauseitshard Tue 15-Nov-16 13:03:36

Can you be a lodger? Generally cheaper and no agency fees. Look on spare room.

RubyWho Tue 15-Nov-16 17:46:18

Lodging isn't really a viable and long term options, as I have shared residency of two DC. At the moment I rent two rooms in a large house, hence how I am able to share and have the DC with me.
We can't find new tenants for the tenancy as it will be ending due to the LL wanting to sell.

SolomanDaisy Tue 15-Nov-16 18:50:39

Ask the council if they run a deposit guarantee scheme. They're designed to help people like you access private housing. Do you get the child benefit for the children?

FannyWisdom Tue 15-Nov-16 19:54:52

How long have you lived in the area? Is that why you can't register for social housing?

RubyWho Tue 15-Nov-16 20:24:09

Lived here a few years, I wouldn't qualify for housing as my earnings are too high (advice when I was also applying for HB earlier this year). I'm also not a high priority case. All advised by the LA.

FannyWisdom Tue 15-Nov-16 20:37:17

You aren't high priority yet but when you are evicted you will be.

I'm not certain how big your LA catchment is but would you move area to a lower demand authority that doesn't means test?

hefzi Tue 15-Nov-16 20:58:43

I was in a similar position before I moved to where I am now, and rented from a small ad in the back of the local paper: standard one month up front, but no agency fees, move-in/out fees, credit check, credit check fees, guarantor fees etc etc I wasn't familiar with the area, so just scoped out which night the local paper had the majority of small ads, commandeered a taxi and worked my way round.

It wasn't great, but I needed somewhere to live asap (was living in a hotel) and knew I wasn't likely to pass the credit check from an agency for various reasons, but was happy to connect the LL with the letting agents in my last home to check up that I'd paid rent on time etc etc (He didn't take me up on this) I also didn't have the £1500 on top I'd have needed for going through an agent. I am looking to move next year, and will probably try a similar strategy, though I have actually manage to trouser enough to go through an agent if necessary: didn't have the best experienced of being in a managed house previously, though, initial outlay aside.

Many areas also have free property papers you could scope out, though there are often mainly agents in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now