Talk

Advanced search

To Think My Gym Instructor Is Pedalling Bollocks?

(75 Posts)
SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 14-Nov-16 21:40:27

Just started at the gym, had an induction last week where I expressed my interest in the strength machines (weights machines, rather than free weights), and was offered a free personalised training schedule.
Turn up today and the chap had me doing cardio as I need to improve on that first before I go on to use the strength machines, apparently, and then he went on to talk to me about eating an alkaline diet. So plant-based (fair enough, I could do with upping my veg intake), no red meat, little dairy, with lots of alkaline water which I can also use as a moisturiser as it's so hydrating.
I just ended up nodding and smiling at him, but surely water is hydrating enough as it is, otherwise the human race has been pondering round dehydrated forever. He also told me that it helps prevent cancer as cancer can't survive in an alkaline environment, and he's got a special tap at home on his kitchen sink that can make his water as alkaline or acidic as he liked, so he uses pH level 1 acidic water to clean his house with as it doesn't need cleaning product.

He's talking nonsense, isn't he?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 14-Nov-16 21:41:23

Yes

Suppermummy02 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:42:13

wtf?

LemonRedwood Mon 14-Nov-16 21:42:22

Sounds like bollocks to me confused

FinnMcCool Mon 14-Nov-16 21:42:58

Yep.
He'll be trying to sell you magic stuff soon.

Ginkypig Mon 14-Nov-16 21:43:34

He is talking absolute shit!

That is all!

SquinkiesRule Mon 14-Nov-16 21:45:00

Yep Bollocks

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 14-Nov-16 21:45:03

I was really looking forward to going to the gym and toning up, but him and his woo has put me right off going. He's going to be there at the same time as I'm going and it's too small a gym to hide from him.

Bugger.

QuiltedAloeVera Mon 14-Nov-16 21:46:01

Different gym?

Areyoufree Mon 14-Nov-16 21:46:13

cough bollocks cough

StStrattersOfMN Mon 14-Nov-16 21:47:05

He has a magic tap that makes water alkaline or acidic? 😂

Milklollies Mon 14-Nov-16 21:47:27

I would've said to his face- that's a bunch of bollocks.

Mamabear14 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:47:32

A woo friend of mine does all the alkaline diet to prevent cancer etc. She looks so ill all the time, I want to shove a steak in her mouth.
Also I am fat 5ft2 and size 14, just joined the gym and had a pt session, I did 4 different weight machines as well as cardio and I'm super unfit. So that's balls too.

LimpidPools Mon 14-Nov-16 21:48:25

Pedalling bollocks = interesting new fitness fad grin

ElephantMug Mon 14-Nov-16 21:48:27

Yes that's rubbish. I don't see why you can't do strength work either. My mum does and she's pretty old and unfit. Most of the strength machines are pretty straightforward. I'd probably be tempted just to have a go, if he weren't going to be there...

bloodyteenagers Mon 14-Nov-16 21:48:33

Keep going to the gym.
If he continues with his woo bollocks, be blunt - when you have a phd then come and talk to me. Until then take your unproven bollocks elsewhere.

PurpleDaisies Mon 14-Nov-16 21:49:02

1) pH altering taps don't exist
2) pH 1 is the same pH as battery acid-I highly doubt he's cleaning his house with that
3) the body has mechanisms to keep its pH constant so it works properly. If you eat more alkaline things your kidneys will just correct any imbalance back to normal

He's talking rubbish.

wintersdawn Mon 14-Nov-16 21:49:12

He's talking crap I'm afraid.
I've just had 4 PT sessions at my new gym to learn free weights and other than a 5 min warm up haven't been near a cardio machine at all. I'm not fit and need to lose weight. There are a couple of moves I've been recommended to avoid until i strengthen my core but that work will be through weights not cardio.

Don't lose hope play around on YouTube there are some really good tutorials around on basic weight moves. Watch a couple for each movement and you'll soon find someone you like to follow.

Sciurus83 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:49:24

Good grief. He is spouting complete codswallop. Anything with a pH of 1 is highly corrosive and would only be handled with appropriate equipment by experienced persons. It's not coming out of his magic tap and he's not using it to clean his house. Back away slowly from this nonsense!

StStrattersOfMN Mon 14-Nov-16 21:49:27

I want to know more about his magic tap

millionsofpeaches Mon 14-Nov-16 21:50:10

Well pH1 is as acidic as it gets and water ain't acidic! If he's getting pH1 liquid out of his tap he needs to speak to the water company!
Water is usually neutral, about pH7.
Yes he is talking out of his arse.

PurpleDaisies Mon 14-Nov-16 21:50:27

I want to know more about his magic tap

I think most labs would too!

StStrattersOfMN Mon 14-Nov-16 21:50:49

Ph 0 is battery acid. I really can't see him cleaning his house with acid that would probably melt his Marigolds.

yellowfrog Mon 14-Nov-16 21:51:07

Total bollocks

Topseyt Mon 14-Nov-16 21:51:37

Utter and complete bollocks.

I highly doubt that I would be able to stick being in the same room as such a twat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now