Talk

Advanced search

To be anxious about this meeting

(19 Posts)
Crazy789 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:31:42

Need a bit of s reality check : been in my admin job 6 months probation comming up . My manager hasn't had time to train me since a few sessions when I First started .she was having ago when I couldn't do things so I asked a colleague to help me . It's got back to her . She asked why I didn't come to her - I said because she was busy( more couldn't be bothered didn't have the patience ) she has now told me as I was leaving we have a meeting on Friday . I'm so anxious but suffer badly with anxiety . I'm sure it will be a bollocking of how I'm not doing well enough - any advice how to handle it ?

Crazy789 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:37:51

Also should add I'm dyslexic have told my manager - and she just said they best not let me near the filesconfused

blackhairbrush Mon 14-Nov-16 19:42:41

Dyslexia is a recognised difficulty under the Equality Act 2010 so if you have a diagnosis, you should be offered reasonable adjustment and support.

redexpat Mon 14-Nov-16 19:47:07

Dont panic.
Email and ask for the agenda for fridays meeting.

Before you go in Have a think about what is going well, what you feel is going less well, and come with some suggestions of how to improve things.

Take notes during the meeting.

Ask for specific examples if you are criticised. Ask how they would prefer you to do those tasks. "So in future if abc happens, you would prefer me to do xyz".

If your manager is crap, you may need to push for specific measurable goals, so familiarise yourself with the smart model.

Have you got any questions for your boss?

When the meeting is finished write up the notes and email them to your boss as a confirmation of what was discussed.

Am a bit confused by your op. Who couldnt be bothered and who has no patience?

Crazy789 Wed 16-Nov-16 07:34:48

Hi my manger has no patiance , is quite abrupt and makes it clear she doesn't have the time . We have new owners so not sure if they are pushing the meeting . I emailed her Yeasterday morning and Iv had no replie sad

Crazy789 Wed 16-Nov-16 09:32:40

I'm now wondering should I text her and ask if she got it . My anxiety is so bad setting ibs off - wish I could deal with things easier

redexpat Wed 16-Nov-16 13:18:00

Send the email again, with a read notification on it. This way you will be notified when she reads it.

redexpat Wed 16-Nov-16 13:20:00

I would also get hold of the staff handbook and read up on performance management etc.

redexpat Fri 18-Nov-16 22:13:49

How did it go?

Crazy789 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:18:43

Basically she said she hasn't had time to teach me all that was needed to be learnt so probation was extended for 2 months . She said she thought I would learn it regardless as its initative . Explained again my dyslexia to which she asked how could I read if I'm dyslexic confusedknew this would happen so took my statement / report in left her to read it . Bit anxious such a woman has it as its so personal but no other choice . Feeling battered today - Thankyou all for your support

Crazy789 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:19:36

And Thankyou black hair and red ex you really calmed me down

redexpat Sat 19-Nov-16 11:59:00

Are you in a union? If not I think it would be a wise investment as she seems to be not very good at managing and not very well versed in disability. I think you are going to have to be v proactive. So start by sending a mail thanking her for yesterdays meeting and summarising the basic points and what was agreed.

If you have questions in future about how to do elements of your job, wait until you have 3 things then email. You must take notes while she is doing this so that you dont have to ask again.

Do you have a manual or instructions of how to do the job?

redexpat Sat 19-Nov-16 11:59:47

I meant you must take notes when she answers.

Crazy789 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:03:58

The business doesn't have a union they use. I'm getting myself a note book and I was thinking of writing the points in and ticking them off when I can do them and are confident . If she isn't offering help I was thinking of emailing so there is a paper trail ?

Bluntness100 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:07:43

Don't send her another email, or a text, just prepare for uour meeting in terms of all the positives, what uou have achieved and brought to the company. Your posts are very negative, but there is a positive side, you didn't know things so sought help under your own initiative then completed the tasks, that sort of thing,

I'd maybe be thinking now about all the good things you've learned and done in uour time there.

JellyBelli Sun 20-Nov-16 11:08:53

Contact ACAS for advice.
The Acas helpline number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday 8am-8pm, Tuesday 8am-6pm, Wednesday to Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1pm.

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Bluntness100 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:10:01

Sorry, just to add, taking her on and blaming her isn't going to help uou keep the job, in fact the opposite. You need to think of all the good you've done.

Maybe even draft a positive email saying all the things uouve learned and how much she's helped and other colleagues, as well as things uou intend to do next.

DonaldStott Sun 20-Nov-16 11:17:37

Crazy you can join the GMB union. Anyone can join online. You will be allocated to a particular branch depending on where you are in the country etc., and will be entitled to advice an representation. But I would say join asap, as they cannot represent you on any issues preceeding the date you joined.

Crazy789 Wed 23-Nov-16 11:24:31

There is a lot of positive in that I like my colleagues and the job . Im going to ring the union help line - rung acas and they were helpful . They have advised I keep a diary . She said we do training on Monday she turned up 3 hours later than she said she would be in . Then said she was to busy and didn't have time . So I guess I am negative . I was in as extra Tuesday to busy again to train me , I asked for help with a task she had listed as I needed more training on - and she complained I couldn't do it . I'm not sure how to be positive with that !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now