Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a separate room for dc when booking holiday?

(91 Posts)
movingforward2016 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:30:39

So I am looking for a holiday in Dominican Republic but all the hotels have two beds in one bedroom. I am going on holiday with my dd and my boyfriend (who is not her dad) so feel it would be more comfortable for both of them if there was two separate rooms but all hotels seem to provide only one room with two beds!

Even if he was dds dad I still think she should have a separate room as it's not like we could go without any action for two weeks, how do other families manage on this type of holiday? Seems off to expect a child to sleep in the same room as a couple weather their two parents or not for two whole weeks!

Thatwaslulu Mon 14-Nov-16 10:37:09

How old is your child? Our DS is 16 and still shares a room with us in hotels.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Nov-16 10:37:22

Yes it is normal to have to share a room with your children unless you are willing to pay for a second room. We have occasionally found places with a separate sleeping area but they are rarer. Last year our room had stairs up to a mezzanine area which is where dh and I slept but we mostly just all sleep in the same room

YesILikeItToo Mon 14-Nov-16 10:37:29

Just buy what you want! If it's not what you want look elsewhere. We sometimes share with dd and sometimes we book a suite and get a bed or sofa bed put in the sitting room. She's too young for her own room, when she's older I'll book two rooms, and I won't use a hotel that won't let me book two rooms.

Meluzyna Mon 14-Nov-16 10:37:34

You do't say how old your daughter is: if she's under 12 then you cannot expect the hotel to put her in a room away from you: two separate rooms might not even be on the same corridor..... If 12 or over then of course she should have her own room - but there will be a singles' supplement for it. Change hotel or change destination if they cannot provide what you need,

HRarehoundingme Mon 14-Nov-16 10:37:35

How old is DC?

Are you proposing she has her own room or interlinking room?

NerrSnerr Mon 14-Nov-16 10:38:34

How old is she? Could you just pay for 2 rooms or is she too young?

dementedpixie Mon 14-Nov-16 10:39:46

Why should an over 12 have their own room?? if you want an extra room you will need to book 2 and pay extra for them

CocktailQueen Mon 14-Nov-16 10:39:51

Of course it's not standard for DC to have a separate room to their parents - unless you want to pay for two rooms!!

Our dc are 9 and 13 and we all share a family room in e.g. a Premier Inn.

Having said that, I wouldn't book a 2-week hotel holiday sharing a room with the dc - we all need space - so we book holiday homes/villas etc. instead.

Is that an option for you? Or some hotels may have adjoining rooms. How old is your dc?

irregularegular Mon 14-Nov-16 10:42:22

So book another room (if she is old enough), or a suite with a separate sleeping area, or a 2-bed apartment (we always book apartments or houses for stays of more than a couple of nights). I don't understand the outrage?!

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 14-Nov-16 10:44:18

Sometimes in those massive (but not necessarily hugely expensive) type resort hotels, a 'room' is a bit more like an apartment. E.g. two separate bedrooms with a shared bathroom but just one room door IYSWIM.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 14-Nov-16 10:45:22

Yes this is normal - if you don't like it find somewhere that can offer adjoining rooms, a suite or get an apartment and be prepared to pay what that extra space will cost you.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 14-Nov-16 10:46:32

How old is DC? If old enough, can they have their own room, and just request it's next door to yours?

If not, you'll need to shell out for a family suite with separate bedrooms, or book somewhere self-catered (an apart-hotel, perhaps).

donajimena Mon 14-Nov-16 10:47:26

I'm going away in August next year with my OH and all our children. I'll be in one room with my brood and him in another with his.
We've previously done villa holidays but they need a bit more activity on hols now so we just have to suck it up!
You need to book a suite or villa. Some hotels have adjoining family rooms.

Ostrobogulous Mon 14-Nov-16 10:48:32

If you're booking online most sites just have the option to add a second room. If the site you are using doesn't, then you can just look for the same accommodation on another website and select "2" in the number of rooms.

I'm not sure if I'm missing the point though. Why can't you just book whatever you want like someone said upthread?

MauiWest Mon 14-Nov-16 10:49:46

I don't understand your problem. Do you mean there are no suites available, so you would need to book 2 separate rooms and you are uncomfortable with your kid not being in the same apartment but in a complete separate room? How old is your dc?

If old enough, just book as many rooms as you need. All the hotels can't be fully booked. You don't mean that the hotel should give you a free room for your child, do you?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 14-Nov-16 10:52:22

Pay for another room then if sex is so important.

puddock Mon 14-Nov-16 11:00:59

You say it seems "off" to expect children and parents to share a sleeping room for a fortnight, but you do realise that millions of families do this all year round, right? (And without forgoing "action" too...)

If that doesn't work for your family, you book two rooms or a suite or whatever works for your personal preference or budget. Nobody's trying to impose it on you!

ZoeTurtle Mon 14-Nov-16 11:09:09

You can't go without sex for two weeks? grin

YABU - this is standard. You'll need to pay for two rooms.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Nov-16 11:14:48

Your DD is in Y5, so 10ish (I advanced searched to find out), and you think it's OK for her to be in a room on her own in a hotel? A room that might not be next to yours...

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Nov-16 11:15:03

I've seen it on here that sex happens when the DCs are at the kid's club if staying in a hotel.

Maybe a hotel isn't the right type of accomodation if you want more space/privacy. Although if you are looking at AI in the Dominican Republic, that means a hotel really. You'll just have to see whether the holiday you want is available at a price you can and want to pay.

There will be interconnecting rooms or suites available for AI hotels in the DR but these will obviously cost more than one standard double room.

romanrainsalot Mon 14-Nov-16 11:19:21

YABU.

if you want privacy for some action, buy a suite that has two rooms in.

Why do you want the hotel to give you a free room for sex?

user1478551766 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:21:27

If you want 2 rooms, you book and pay for 2 rooms. I don't understand what your problem is here?

MauiWest Mon 14-Nov-16 11:23:12

You can't go without sex for two weeks?

HAHA. Well....grin

Joke aside, I think hotels rooms are only suitable for families with a baby or with teenagers (who can safely sleep further away if you don't get 2 adjoining rooms) for more than an overnight stay. My family needs space for a decent holiday, I can't imagine being locked in the same room for a week or two. Sounds horrific, are you all sleeping at exactly the same time?

BadgersBum Mon 14-Nov-16 11:23:48

If there's a lock on the bathroom door, you have a separate room. Wait for DD to fall asleep and creep off. (Just don't pull the sink off the wall like one of my friends did!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now