Talk

Advanced search

to find it depressing that two year olds qualifying for free childcare are the latest victims of Facebook bashing?

(78 Posts)
JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:38:12

Twice today I've seen two friends like posts calling for the government to scrap funding for childcare for the poorest two year olds - because it's expensive for working parents.

Funded places for two year olds are supposed to begin to address social and educational disadvantage aren't they? One of the friends who apparently approves of the sentiment that low income families shouldn't get extra funding is a senior teacher. Quite apart from the fact that she can well afford childcare if anyone can, as both she and her DH choose to work more than full time, I would have thought she'd be aware of the reasons behind pupil premium in school. The other is a SAHM who doesn't need to work and pays peanuts for a couple of mornings' playgroup. How can they begrudge disadvantaged two year olds a few hours of early education a week?

It feels to me like selfishness is becoming more and more the norm. I was a free school meal kid and hate to think that basic provision is becoming so resented.

greathat Sun 13-Nov-16 22:40:17

The "free hours" are putting some nurseries out of business though, as what the government pays doesn't cover overheads. I don't think its the 2 year olds being bashed...

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 13-Nov-16 22:41:49

Some people desperately need to be angry about something.

Others are outraged about someone getting something free. Even a child.

At least two year olds can't read about it online and get offended.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:42:04

Oh it is in the posts I've seen. The ones whinging that full time childcare can cost 'working parents' (as opposed to feckless layabouts, I suppose) £600 a week. No mention of overheads.

limon Sun 13-Nov-16 22:43:57

Yanbu.

BossWitch Sun 13-Nov-16 22:45:13

I think the problem is the way that the free hours were promoted in the last election. Cameron et al made it part of their helping hardworking families sales pitch, thereby implying that the free childcare was there to benefit working parents, the squeezed middle etc. If you see the free hours as intended to help parents, it's easy enough to get yourself into thinking 'but why help unemployed parents with free childcare, they don't need it, I'm paying a fortune' etc. If you look at it from the 'this is to give a leg up to kids from deprived, dysfunctional families' you can't argue with it. At least, not without being a total twat.

Highlandfling80 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:46:55

Yanbu. It isn't childcare. It is early education.

SaucyJack Sun 13-Nov-16 22:50:41

It doesn't delight me to honest that the kid over the road gets to go to nursery, and my DD doesn't.

Only difference between our families is that DP works and they don't.

I've never voted Tory, and I never will..... but as I say, I'm not delighted by it.

littlesallyracket Sun 13-Nov-16 22:52:12

I had a colleague who used to moan about things like this all the time. Basically, every time she perceived that any disadvantaged child was getting 'something for nothing' she'd whine about having to pay tax for other people's kids.

I pointed out to her that I had no kids, and yet my taxes were paying for her three children's state education and healthcare - but I wasn't about to moan about that state of affairs because I wasn't, you know, a total arsehole... she was a bit quieter about such matters after that.

Bolshybookworm Sun 13-Nov-16 22:53:05

YANBU
ALL children qualify for 15 hours free childcare the term after their 3rd birthday, regardless of a parents income. I expect this puts far more pressure on nurseries than the relatively small number of children who qualify at 2 years old.

We have been financially crucified by childcare fees for the last 5 years. However, I still pay my taxes and am happy to support parents who can't afford them because, quite frankly, I'm not a selfish asshole. It's important for our economy that we support parents so that they can stay in work/get an education. Would Facebook moaners prefer that they end up on long term benefits?

JosephineMaynard Sun 13-Nov-16 22:53:24

Yes, I think some people are forgetting that this is provided in order to try and help children from deprived backgrounds and give them a better chance, rather than giving unemployed parents things they don't need.

JellyBelli Sun 13-Nov-16 22:56:58

YANBU.
I've just seen someone tell people not to claim tax credits. On a parenting forum angry
I'm sick of all the negative comments about how people should work full time not part time, like they have a choice and do it just to piss other people off. Or about using the NHS, tax credits, benefits et al. Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Astro55 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:57:59

This has been happening for some time - it's doesn't seem fair really.

The issue I have is that the nursery fees were affordable before the government got involved with working tax credits so the nursery a and childminders jumped in the band wagon and uped their prices - the government them insisted that all take exams and qualify and introduced the early education program - just more firms to complete - they did a good job - adding layers to the management trail -

Thus costing working parents a fortune -

Realising poor kids were being disadvantaged they started offering free child care - or early education to balance the equation - adding more layers

It's bonkers

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 13-Nov-16 23:00:11

It's not classy to moan about other people getting access to services, however the other side of the coin is that childcare is so expensive. I can understand dome one looking at their £600 nursery bill and misplacing that anger.

It depends if they're serial dicks, I suppose.

Dexterjamesmummy Sun 13-Nov-16 23:00:14

I was told by the manager of our children's centre that the free hours for 2 year old was introduced because a lot of children were going to school without knowing the basics. For me that definitely put a different spin on it, I don't begrudge those children getting to go to nursery at all in fact I'm glad they do.

fakenamefornow Sun 13-Nov-16 23:07:29

Actually I always that this is a bit odd, the parents aren't working so don't need it, if the child needs it then that suggests that any unemployment parents are automatically doing a bad job. I don't think they are and I don't think unemployed = bad parent. I know it's a very complex picture though. Anyway, do you just have to be unemployed to qualify for this or are their other factors considered? Health visitor referral for example.

If I was unemployed and was then told that because of it my 2yo courage some free early education, well, it seems some criticism of my parenting. Unless the idea is to free people up for job interviews? Although if both parents are unemployed that wouldn't be an issue.

CozyAutumn Sun 13-Nov-16 23:12:06

Yanbu.
People need to realise that these free hours are not "childcare" so that "lazy unemployed parents" can palm their kids off.
These free hours are actually early years education for children who may be disadvantaged by living in a low income family.

My ds2 got discretionary funding when he was 2 but we didn't qualify for the free funding based on the usual criteria. He got this funding because he had a global development delay (eg speech delay/social communication skills) Guess what... place helped him a lot.

I am 100% all for free funding for 2 year olds. People really need to take out whatever is up their arse and stop moaning, get that chip off their shoulder and maybe educate themselves a little bit as to why these places for 2 years olds exist. People are just so ignorant.

Twogoats Sun 13-Nov-16 23:14:06

Ideally, everyone would get it.

multivac Sun 13-Nov-16 23:17:07

The Facebook message currently trending wants free childcare for everyone but "the workshy".

It's deeply depressing.

passmethewineplease Sun 13-Nov-16 23:20:07

YANBU.

My two year old gets the funding partly due to his slow development and DP earning under a certain amount.

His HV, speech therapist et al were all asking about nursery. It's helped him massively.

I am very grateful he's had this opportunity and really don't see it as free childcare.

Even when we weren't "entitled" to it I didn't begrudge bloody two year olds.

Yes childcare is expensive but their anger is misdirected.

Hopefully the free 30 hours will help some people.

AntiHop Sun 13-Nov-16 23:25:13

You qualify based on your parent's income. So many parents who qualify are working, in low paid jobs.

Tarla Sun 13-Nov-16 23:28:19

The issue I have is that the nursery fees were affordable before the government got involved with working tax credits so the nursery a and childminders jumped in the band wagon and uped their prices

I'm a childminder. I know lots of other childminders. I also know lots of nursery workers and some former childminders who have opened nurseries of their own. What's this bandwagon jumping and upped prices? I'd bloody love a payrise! You can't charge more than what the market will bear, for a childminder in my area that amount is £3-£4 per hour, for a nursery it's £4-£5 per hour. Nursery staff are usually only paid minimum wage with basic terms and conditions. Childminders, by the time you factor in their unpaid work (accounting, setting up, tidying up, record keeping, etc), usually earn less than minimum wage.

The current crisis with childcare costs is not due to providers jumping on the bandwagon and upping their fees, it's due to wages not keeping pace with the cost of living.

Piscivorus Sun 13-Nov-16 23:35:02

I saw one of these FB threads earlier complaining about the cost of childcare and someone complaining that parents on benefits got more childcare free than working parents did. My initial thought was that sounded wrong too until someone pointed out it would be for social reasons, poor environment, etc. Maybe other people just need educating on that too.

HelenaDove Sun 13-Nov-16 23:58:56

Jennifer that dosnt surprise me tbh. ive seen similar sentiments shown by teachers who post on here.

JosephineMaynard Mon 14-Nov-16 00:01:48

fake - where I live, 2yr olds are also entitled to free childcare if they're in local authority care, adopted out of local authority care, have a statement of special needs or a EHCP, or are receiving disability living allowance.

So not down to parental income in all cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now