Talk

Advanced search

To think trump has broken most of his pre-ellection pledges so far and there should be a revote? still very 😭😭😭

(60 Posts)
jdoe8 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:04:24

He's backed down on just about everything that he was voted in to do! OK yes this usually happens, but over years. This has just been a few days. Surely he has broken some rules and there should be a re-vote?

RobinHumphries Sun 13-Nov-16 20:22:55

Well he did say it was going to be brexit plus plus plus and so far he is keeping that promise!

TheSnowFairy Sun 13-Nov-16 20:24:05

Brexit weren't much slower (think NHS) - the appalling thing is that he was (and they were) believed in the first place hmm

Pallisers Sun 13-Nov-16 20:30:50

Remember George H Bush and "read my lips: no new taxes" (there were)

If there was another election every time a politician backtracked on his promises, we'd live in a permanent election cycle. And frankly, I think the USA would rather live with Trump than go through another one of those. I know I would.

Trump is the democratically elected president of the US. I don't like it but I accept it. Just like half of the people would be sucking it up if Clinton had been elected.

Most people didn't see this coming but that's the thing about democracy, it is messy and unpredictable.

And I do hope he backtracks on many of his promises. Better than implementing them all.

Although interestingly enough for the maverick who was going to smash the establishment and the elites, one of the first things he IS going to do is weaken the laws put in place to stop the elite establishment bankers going doo-lally again and triggering another 2008 crisis. Ah well. to be expected. I doubt we'll ever know where he really got his money/support.

EveOnline2016 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:51:28

There will be in 4 years time.

He was fast at learning to be a politician lol

Snoozeandloos Sun 13-Nov-16 20:55:43

I think there should be some rules about not being allowed to promise things you have no intention of delivering on.

The whole thing just becomes a farce otherwise, they could all just make up anything they liked and then what?

noblegiraffe Sun 13-Nov-16 20:59:26

What are we going to build? A fence! Who's going to pay for it? Us!

Purplepicnic Sun 13-Nov-16 21:02:50

Election promises are not legally binding. He won't end up doing half of what he said.

BreconBeBuggered Sun 13-Nov-16 21:07:16

Let his voters decide how to deal with him. I'm sure they're all reasonable people.

pennycarbonara Sun 13-Nov-16 21:11:05

It's what politicians do; they break promises. (So much for his lack of political experience.)

Also like this from a PP:
Well he did say it was going to be brexit plus plus plus and so far he is keeping that promise!

On the subject of anti-Trump protests:
I can understand having demos about Brexit because the referendum is treated as binding when it didn't have to be - but Trump is not an ambiguous and unique situation like the referendum. It is a clear election result using their electoral college system. Is this some kind of product of the social media age where even that has to be protested? Or am I missing the point that it's just a bonding and solidarity exercise for the Democrats who are shocked by the result?

dudsville Sun 13-Nov-16 21:11:51

You can't judge politicians on what they say during elections. You have to look at the choices and decisions they've made in their lives up to now. He's being true to himself as far as I can see.

allegretto Sun 13-Nov-16 21:14:29

Penny - I don't think it's wrong to protest a result, even it was a democratic result. You can still fundamentally oppose the values a person has. Hitler was democratically elected and people opposed him - should they have just said, "oh that sounds fair, then".

Piscivorus Sun 13-Nov-16 21:14:57

For heaven's sake. You can't just keep redoing elections and referendums until you get the result you want. Voters have a duty to inform themselves and most know that all politicians lie so don't swallow it hook, line and sinker

Get over it

SoupDragon Sun 13-Nov-16 21:14:57

Just like half of the people would be sucking it up if Clinton had been elected.

Apart from Trump who claimed he wouldn't accept that result. I would have liked to have seen that.

Redglitter Sun 13-Nov-16 21:15:19

Oh what a shock to see the who the OP of this post is hmm

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 13-Nov-16 21:16:56

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

SilentBiscuits Sun 13-Nov-16 21:17:16

The wall/fence thing is totally ridiculous and will never get funded.

Andy Borowitz (the comedian/satitist) wrote an article for the New Yorker saying "Country with crumbling roads and bridges look forward to new wall" or something. He is totally deluded and he won't be able to do most of the stuff he wanted to.

ReallyTired Sun 13-Nov-16 21:17:53

Surely it's a relief that Trump has actually gone back on his more stupid promises. He realised that obamacare wasn't such a stupid idea, he realised that it cannot jail Hilary just to please voters.

If he ignores his election promises he might do ok as a president.

ITCouldBeWorse Sun 13-Nov-16 21:20:13

I agree - I am delighted he is backtracking on his bonkers ideas. Because they were dangerous and bonkers.

SilentBiscuits Sun 13-Nov-16 21:20:22

I understand the protests. Clinton beat Trump by 630,000. The system is clearly flawed.

Redrocketship Sun 13-Nov-16 21:20:36

Obama went back on lots of promises too, they all do. It's hardly grounds for another election

CaptainBrickbeard Sun 13-Nov-16 21:22:33

Penny, the protesters are just making it clear that there is a lot of opposition to him in the country. They aren't expecting a re-do, but the right to peaceful demonstration is a very key part of democracy.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 13-Nov-16 21:23:34

There seems to be an awful notion at the moment that, regardless of how important the decision is, if you get it wrong or it doesn't go your way, you can just redo it.

That's not the way life works. You get one shot at these things, they require thought and attention. Everyone has to stand by their decision. There's no, "let's give this one a shot and rewind if it doesn't work".

It's astounding that it's taken two major political events and we still aren't understanding that.

RortyCrankle Sun 13-Nov-16 21:23:46

Well he isn't actually President until January. Give him a chance to actually BE President before shouting about him failing. And of course there won't be a revote, that would be absurd. I'm guessing you wouldn't be so keen on a revote if dodgy Clinton won? No, thought not.

Pallisers Sun 13-Nov-16 21:27:35

I understand the protests. Clinton beat Trump by 630,000. The system is clearly flawed.

But it is the system laid down in the constitution. It isn't the first time the popular vote departed from the electoral college.

Protests against his policies are fine by me - as Captain said, the right to a peaceful demonstration is key to democracy. Any protests or movements that have the aim of overthrowing the results of this legitimate election are not ok by me.

By the way, doesn't anyone wish that Cameron had reneged on his promise to hold a referendum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now