Talk

Advanced search

Completely disastrous Sunday

(14 Posts)
stripystars Sun 13-Nov-16 12:24:26

Ds1 upstairs crying. Me waiting for lunch to be ready in the kitchen fuming. Ds2 moping around me. What magical memories they are making.

Started off fine with me playing Monopoly with ds1, but even that was flawed as ds2 wouldn't join in (has enjoyed many times before) because ALL HE WANTS TO DO now is listen to MLP songs.

They started playing with figures etc while I was in the shower but it quickly descended into screaming and howling as they disagree on every little thing. Then a bit of one of ds1's toys came off and disappeared, heightening the tension further. Basically 2 hours of whining ensued.

We had decided on Friday we would go for a walk today , but ds2 refused and wanted the park, while ds1 didn't want that - wanted to go to the woods. We set off, but ds1 whined so much I said we were going home, which we did and are here now.

I really don't know how I could have avoided this, next week they'll be at their Dad's and this weekend has now been a wash out - yesterday wasn't great either. Ds1 has a party this pm and there's homework to do, so that's it for a fortnight really.

Just venting sad.

Grilledaubergines Sun 13-Nov-16 12:44:51

Everyone has rubbish days, don't sweat it. And not every moment needs to create a memory. Just carry on with the day as best you can.

BabyGanoush Sun 13-Nov-16 12:47:48

The weird thing is they may well remember it as a fun day

There's no telling with kids grin

Anyway, totally normal part of life flowers

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 13-Nov-16 13:14:48

Sounds like a normal day in the Chainsaw household...

thecatsarecrazy Sun 13-Nov-16 14:03:09

Sounds normal to me. My ds2 has had the hump all weekend because his tablet is broken, he's bored, has nothing to do. He wants to play on my phone. He's currently watching gremlins. Wasn't keen earlier but he's stuck with it.

haveacupoftea Sun 13-Nov-16 14:07:02

Maybe you should ask your children why they are upset and crying? Sounds like you're putting the family under a lot of pressure to have A Nice Day for some reason. Have a bath and relax.

Pumpkin2010 Sun 13-Nov-16 14:09:22

This also sounds pretty standard with us. The days that are 'good' are when I don't have to separate my 2 eldest from each other (physically).

This weekend DH is working 12 hours both days, I have a stinking cold & my eldest have done nothing but bicker & fight. I'm in PILs & have come to sit in the conservatory with the doors closed while the baby sleeps.

Days like that you just need to let them do what will make them quietest happy while you stand in the kitchen eating a packet of chocolate digestives, for your own sanity!

c3pu Sun 13-Nov-16 18:14:54

My two don't argue all the time - some of the time they are asleep 😂

So long as it's not like that every weekend I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding the park/woods argument, sometimes you've just got to pick an activity and tell the whining one to shut up while the rest of you have a nice time... Then try and choose something they want to do at a later time, and no doubt tell the other whinger to put up it lol. Can't please everyone...

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 13-Nov-16 18:24:59

I have had a shit weekend
Ds1 birthday and he has behaved like a selfish twat
I want to howl
Ah well back to work tomorrow sad

Timeforabiscuit Sun 13-Nov-16 18:31:28

Eldest cries because shes tired, overwhelmed, sickening, or is deeply feeling the innate injustices of her world (like she gets told off if she slaps her sister).

The whole business of magical, memory making weekends is a false set up by advertising execs, it is not an implicit judgement.

I COULD say the crap is part of the tapestry of life, I prefer a glass of wine and the good chocolate once their in bed.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sun 13-Nov-16 18:33:48

Yep, vent away. Also sounds normal to me flowers

Temporaryname137 Sun 13-Nov-16 18:35:30

Ah you poor thing. They won't remember it that way. I know DB and I used to drive my mother mad but we look back on it all as great fun.

Nice glass of wine and a hot bath or something soothing for you though, it must be v stressful to listen to.

goddessofsmallthings Sun 13-Nov-16 18:55:41

At some future date when your dc look back at their childhoods, they'll remember the continually sunny days, the happy romps in the woods and at the park, the fun times they spent playing board games with you, and the delicious Sunday lunches you made them.

Today, and many like it, will become the stuff of magical memories for them because their younger years have not been afflicted by abuse.

Pour yourself a wine after they've gone to bed and take comfort in knowing that when they experience the trials joys of parenting they'll wonder how you did it. smile

ParadiseCity Sun 13-Nov-16 19:01:10

Sod the memory making. Or if you REALLY feel you need to salvage one happy moment get out some digestives, icing and whatever sweets/sprinkles you have lurking at back of cupboard and let them decorate biscuits. It will only take 5-10 mins but you can take pictures for Smugbook/posterity and there is this weekends official memory. Hugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now