Talk

Advanced search

to ask if a school would be made aware of previous social service involvement?

(37 Posts)
Wonderingwoe Sat 12-Nov-16 17:47:46

Just that really -
Would they be made aware when a child joins if they had been involved historically? But not currently?

Seekingadvice123 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:50:42

Depends really. How long go are you talking?

PotteringAlong Sat 12-Nov-16 17:52:47

Depends on when and why really.

Skittlesss Sat 12-Nov-16 17:53:04

Is it within the same area?

GraciesMansion Sat 12-Nov-16 17:54:12

In our local authority, yes they would be. It all gets logged on one system.

lalalalyra Sat 12-Nov-16 17:54:33

It depends on the situation.

If the previous school were aware of it then it could be noted on the school records.

Boundaries Sat 12-Nov-16 17:55:35

They should be. In practice, not always.

BratFarrarsPony Sat 12-Nov-16 17:56:10

more than likely it would be on the school records , so yes.
Why do you ask?

JustCallMeKate Sat 12-Nov-16 17:56:21

Our school is always aware if the child is transferring school within Scotland as we have their GIRFEC chronology sent over. If a child is transferring from outwith Scotland then I always call their previous school to have a chat anyway. If there has been SW involvement in the past it's always mentioned.

SnugglySnerd Sat 12-Nov-16 17:56:55

I think they probably would, yes. I have a pastoral role in a school and we seem to get quite a lot of background on students. It might depend on the area though.

EveOnline2016 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:59:11

The previous school will pass on all information and that may be the SS involvement as well.

SavoyCabbage Sat 12-Nov-16 18:00:43

We were by the health visitor.

monkeywithacowface Sat 12-Nov-16 18:02:19

In my previous experience yes.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 12-Nov-16 18:06:13

Yes.

Sometimes "problem families" move areas and schools in an attempt to stop services connecting the dots about what's going on. In recent years the government has rightly made more effort to stop this being possible.

everythingis Sat 12-Nov-16 18:09:25

Not necessarily if the case is closed but if its referred in by the new school the new historical concerns would be shared

Wonderingwoe Sat 12-Nov-16 18:09:47

No I mean child had them involved when a baby as an accident in the home
Case closed very quickly
Now about to start school next year - will they be informed even though it was all closed very quickly?
If so how would it be passed, how would social services even know what school the kids go to?!

BratFarrarsPony Sat 12-Nov-16 18:10:52

in that case possibly not. Not sure to be honest.

PurpleOneWithTheNutIn Sat 12-Nov-16 18:19:39

I've had brief involvement i.e. checks done by ss after I took my son to hospital when he was about 3 or 4 with a dislocated shoulder. Ss closed the case, no concerns. I don't know if schools have been informed but if they have I've never known about it. Same local authority area.

Seekingadvice123 Sat 12-Nov-16 18:24:46

We have had students who have had SS involvement in their early years which was not disclosed to us when they started school. On the occasions it has been it has been part of a CAF process.

1pink4blue Sat 12-Nov-16 18:32:05

We had ss involved when my ds had been injured in the home the case was closed quickly and no further involvment with ss and he has just started nursery in a school where his older brother goes and the school have never mentioned it.

PhilODox Sat 12-Nov-16 18:34:31

Often not in that kind of case. Sometimes they know because of staff moving from job to job.

BratFarrarsPony Sat 12-Nov-16 18:35:36

The school won't 'mention it' to you if they have that information btw. It is just kept on file.

MrsKCastle Sat 12-Nov-16 18:47:51

What are your concerns Wonderingwoe? If the school are informed, the information will sit in a file somewhere and it won't make the slightest difference to how you and your child are treated. Most of the staff dealing won't even know. Even current child protection issues are only shared as necessary.

PotteringAlong Sat 12-Nov-16 18:52:14

It wouldn't be passed on by social services themselves. If the information is in the school file then the new school will have it. If the old school didn't know then social services won't inform the new school if there is no ongoing involvement.

Crunchymum Sat 12-Nov-16 19:20:05

Must have been a serious incident? My dd pulled the ironing board and hot iron onto herself at about 17mo. Immediate A&E visit and a call from HV tram a month later.

No SS involvement, although I was half expecting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now