To stop being generous for my own good?

(3 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Sat 12-Nov-16 15:38:50

Long story short.
I am a doula and have an extensive "library" of baby equipment that I have bought over the years. Which I loan out to low income/single mums that I have supported antenatally or during birth.
I new Mum has joined a FB group I am on and although I have never met her I answered her request to "borrow" a travel cot for one week.
I went to her home and lent her my brand new and unused travel cot. She is a hair and make up artist and offered a blow dry to me in return.
I have now been booked in TWICE to have my hair blown dry for my night out and TWICE she has cancelled me at the last minute.
She has also had my travel cot for a MONTH!!!
So obviously I am not feeling happy as I wanted to look nice tonight and have asked for my cot back on Monday.
From my FB messages :-
Thats a shame I had a night out planned.
Hope you feel better, can I pick the cot up soon please - maybe Monday if you are around? thanks

I know I just don't feel well enough. Yes ofcause Monday is fine I have to go out at 12 so before then or a bit later in the afternoon would be fine. Let me know when you next going out and I can do your hair then

Am I just too generous for my own good? I help someone out- not even a doula client and hardly an apology and no offer to bring the cot back to me!
Lets hope she doesn't let a "paying" client down at last minute because she just doesn't feel well sad sad

Squirmy65ghyg Sat 12-Nov-16 15:48:37

I don't think it's got anything to do with you being a doula. If you don't want to lend your stuff, don't lend it. If she's not well then it would be stupid to get your hair done.

FleurThomas Sat 12-Nov-16 16:23:13

Tell her. Make it clear that you were doing her a favour and you aren't a charity & that her stealing a cot from you will have negative repurcussions
On your paying clients. Then tell everyone else going forwards to pay for your services - no handing out freebies anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now