Talk

Advanced search

to get dd a mooncup?

(36 Posts)
marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 15:24:17

DD is 15. She started her periods at 11. She uses towels atm, but she doesn't like them. She has tried tampons quite a few times, but she says they're too hard and they hurt, and I had to remind her to change them. She's been looking around and has requested a mooncup (the lunette/meluna one I think). I've told her that 1) they're a bit fiddly and take some getting used to and 2) as a virgin it will be even harder for her to get used to it. She is very confident with herself, isn't squeamish about touching herself etc, and really wants to try one. AIBU to get her one? Anyone else's teens use one? TIA

LawrenceSMarlow Sat 12-Nov-16 15:37:31

I wouldn't say being a virgin in itself would make anything more difficult, I was a virgin for the first ten years of using mine (late bloomer!), but I had used tampons for years so was used to where everything was.
Some of the other brands can be a lot softer than actual mooncups so would recommend googling "menstrual cup comparison chart" or something to have a look at the different ones.
If she has asked for it then definitely give it a go; some people just don't get on with them so it can be a potentially costly experiment, but for lots of people they are life changing!
My tip: wet cup/ fingers with water before inserting (probably obvious but it took me ages to work it out!)

LawrenceSMarlow Sat 12-Nov-16 15:39:04

Could also consider washable pads depending on the reasons your DD doesn't like normal ones.

marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 15:39:53

Thank you Lawrence. She's been asking for a while but I put it off til she was 15. She's requested the meluna or lunette one so I'll have a look around. I've never tried one myself, so I may try too.

marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:10

She doesn't like pads because they're dry, and she can feel it there all the time. She also doesn't like changing them (quite heavy flow), or the waste they create.

SliceOfLime Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:22

Have a look on the earthwise girls website for asvicbon the various different types, it's very helpful. I think they sell washable pads too.

SliceOfLime Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:31

*advice on!

asmadasmax Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:44

MeLuna do a small soft cup that may be easier for her to use. I have it because of a prolapse and wish I'd bought one sooner.

Hastalapasta Sat 12-Nov-16 15:43:28

The Diva cup is very soft, but you do have to ensure that the cup is properly round once inserted, if it stays folded at the bottom you will not have the suction. Comes in a double pack too... Good luck.

marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 15:46:03

Thanks everyone.

Hastala, how big is the diva cup? She wanted a MeLuna one because she saw it has the grip things on it, so it would be easier to remove.

MrsHandles Sat 12-Nov-16 15:47:08

Firstly, yay for her for looking away from pads and tampons!

Secondly, I started using a mooncup around two years ago and I'd never go back to anything else. It sounds like she's already had a look around and seems to be informed, why don't you look to and perhaps give one a go also?

Your DD sounds confident and so comfortable in her own skin - awesome! grin

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 12-Nov-16 15:48:05

Get her some KY Jelly to go with it.

Makes it easier to get it in. I struggle without it and I'm no virgin.

Natsku Sat 12-Nov-16 15:49:00

I have a Lunette one and its really good. Agree with the suggestion to wet it in water before inserting, that makes it a lot easier. Tell her it may take a few cycles to really get used to it, and to try other folding methods if she really can't get the hang of the usual one.

Albadross Sat 12-Nov-16 16:04:52

I found Mooncup really hard, but there's Femmecup that lasts a year and is cheaper so you can try it before committing to twenty quid's worth

JennyPocket Sat 12-Nov-16 16:06:55

Has she tried all the applicator tampons? I could never get on with Lil-lets, but fine with Tampax Pearl. They are a slim shape and the applicator is soft to use.

FleurThomas Sat 12-Nov-16 16:08:51

I find even the thinnest tampons and mooncups really uncomfortable as I have a really tight pelvic floor. Not sure if suggesting mooncups to a girl who hurts with tampons is a good idea tbh. Maybe she should just Keep trying smaller tampons?

amusedbush Sat 12-Nov-16 16:09:10

I switched from a Mooncup to a soft Meluna but it's a nightmare to pop open and I've found myself getting quite panicky at work when I couldn't get it to open for love nor money. The Mooncup is too big for me (I can't even pee with it in it's so big blush) but it opens easily and I'm loathe to spend money on anything else in case I have issues with it.

Flingmoo Sat 12-Nov-16 16:09:48

Despite having given birth, I found even the smaller sized Mooncup absolutely massive and I was having to put far too much of my own hand up there to actually insert it properly. shock Despite wanting SO MUCH for it to work.

Washable pads are worth looking into. You can get them with all sorts of lovely patterns. There are lots of YouTube videos with information about them too. I don't find them gross you just pop them on a hot wash and they come out perfectly clean again.

MouseholeCat Sat 12-Nov-16 16:12:04

If she's asking for it, go ahead. I've not spoken to anyone in RL who doesn't love their menstrual cup, and a few of my friends started using them in their teens.

I can highly recommend the Youtube channel Precious Star Pads for teen-focussed reviews of all the different cups on the market.

Definitely would start with one of the softer styles- I use a Mooncup and it's quite rigid compared to other brands. It's perfect for me, but I'd have struggled with it when I was younger.

lightupowl Sat 12-Nov-16 16:24:12

I discovered cups way too late and will certainly suggest that my teens try them. Your dd won't lose anything if she doesn't like it. But if they suit her it will save her endless hassle and money over the years.

Sofabitch Sat 12-Nov-16 16:26:33

My DD has been using one since she was 13. She still switches about between several. But on the whole she prefers the moon cup. I think changing it at school can be a bit fiddly for them as they don't always have the confidence. But its worth a try

CoraPirbright Sat 12-Nov-16 16:33:15

I have a Diva cup & it's aces. It's def something that I will suggest as one of the methods when my dd gets her periods. However I have a question - for those with young teens, how does a cup work if the hymen is intact? Doesn't it make insertion trickier?

marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 17:00:05

Thank you everyone. We're still looking but are thinking on trialling a small classic MeLuna cup for dd. Not sure about me though.

I'd like to ask the same question as Cora - does having a hymen make insertion harder at all?

LetsAllEatCakes Sat 12-Nov-16 18:17:23

Depends if her hymen is still intact. Mine wasn't after trying tampons and heavy riding.

marvelousdcomics Sat 12-Nov-16 18:39:26

I'm pretty sure hymen is still intact, although I wouldn't be sure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now