Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about Daily Express and its Nostramdamus headline.

(61 Posts)
passingstorm Sat 12-Nov-16 12:30:47

I haven't read it all, but it came up on Facebook. Nostramdamus prophesied Trumps victory and now the world could end. Sick of all this doom and worry. Is it true?

ThisIsReallyNotMyName Sat 12-Nov-16 12:31:43

You have to seriously ask about a daily express headline hmm

maxfielder20 Sat 12-Nov-16 12:32:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ArmySal Sat 12-Nov-16 12:34:07

Give over.

FameNameGameLame Sat 12-Nov-16 12:38:41

The end of the world would be relatively quick and painless compared to what you're putting yourself through worrying about these things. You can't change US politics right now any more than you can change the future at all. Just make sure you live every day and make it count. smile

FameNameGameLame Sat 12-Nov-16 12:39:12

But no it's not true. Of course it's not true nobody can predict the future.

SwedishEdith Sat 12-Nov-16 12:39:50

Yes, it's true.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 12-Nov-16 12:40:17

He also predicted that zombies will be real, that humans will live to be 200 and that humans and animals will speak telepathically by now.

Can't say I'm going to take it too seriously, especially as what he said is so vague it could apply to a million things, no more real than a horoscope.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 12-Nov-16 12:43:03

And the Express reckons every winter will be Snowmaggedon.

JosephineMaynard Sat 12-Nov-16 12:44:46

The thing about most successful "prophecies" is that they can be interpreted in any number of ways. They're generally worded very vaguely, so vaguely that people only decide the prophecy meant xyz way after xyz happened.

Its a bit silly to waste time worrying about it, really. It's not like Nostradamus said anything as clear and unmistakable as "When Donald Trump becomes ruler of a very powerful country, the end of the world is nigh" is it?

Petronius16 Sat 12-Nov-16 12:46:06

Yes, the world will end. In 200 million years or tomorrow (doubtful I admit).

lottieandmia Sat 12-Nov-16 12:49:16

Omg - really don't read these silly things.

There are people who have been saying the end of the world is nigh for years and years. Remember 22nd December 2012?

There are people who interpret Revelation in various ways that say the antichrist is coming. Some people actually believe he antichrist is prince William.

Just don't read that stuff. Are you feeling anxious anyway? I find that if I am these things are more likely to worry me.

TheWoodlander Sat 12-Nov-16 12:51:38

Nostradamus also predicted the end of the world in 1999 - from the "King of Terror from the sky."

His work is famous for being able to pick out stuff from reams of ramblings, and fit them to modern day events. It's easily done.

kungfupannda Sat 12-Nov-16 12:53:11

It's a bit vague!

I mean, if it said something like 'An orange-hued mad man who hath the name of a fart' then I might be more convinced...

ItShouldHaveBeenJingleJess Sat 12-Nov-16 12:56:06

kung grin

Owllady Sat 12-Nov-16 12:59:26

Nostradamus used to burn 'herbs' which he'd inhale which led to him having 'visions'

Owllady Sat 12-Nov-16 13:00:07

And so does the editor of the express by the sounds of it

bertsdinner Sat 12-Nov-16 13:10:40

It's a load of bollox. Nostradamus is supposed to have predicted the end of the world ("king of terror", people thought meant nuclear war),in 1999.
When it didnt happen it got shunted down the road to another year.
The predictions of Baba Vanga are all in the press too but she got a few things wrong.
I think "soothsayers" have probably been predicting the end of the world since the stone age.

DesolateWaist Sat 12-Nov-16 13:11:18

great, shameless, audacious brawler will be elected governor of the army

Could mean absolutely anything.

DesolateWaist Sat 12-Nov-16 13:12:12

Oh, and it has been used to describe damn near every president since I can remember.

Huldra Sat 12-Nov-16 13:14:37

It's true, all true, will none think of the children!!!! DOOM we're all DOOMED.

MiracletoCome Sat 12-Nov-16 13:15:40

I reckon it could be true like when they predict that it is going to be -40 every other day in the winter.

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Nov-16 13:17:02

I read Nostrodamus. It was a bunch of vague shit that could apply to many people in the hundreds of years since he wrote it.

A bit like horoscopes.

ego147 Sat 12-Nov-16 13:18:31

The Daily Express and its headlines.

Alconleigh Sat 12-Nov-16 13:18:34

You should worry about the Daily Express for many reasons. None of them relate to Nostradamus though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now