Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help taking the piss out of MLM?

(98 Posts)
thevulvabrigade Sat 12-Nov-16 10:34:32

A woman from school on my friends list joined Forever Living a few months ago and I knew it was only a matter of time until the round robin PM came inviting everyone to join her. Now it has. I've been invited to some "online Christmas Event" and I'm debating whether to join in and take the piss out of them all. Any ideas? Should I share Timeless Vie memes? Anything else I can do?

JellyBelli Sat 12-Nov-16 10:35:39

Answer 'Isnt ''Forever Living'' a misnomer?''

PupPupBoogie Sat 12-Nov-16 10:36:05

How about offering her support instead of ridicule as you will know is you actually read the timeless vie links that a lot of these women realise theyvery been conned really quickly yet are too embarrassed to admit it in case people ridicule them.

Giratina Sat 12-Nov-16 10:38:58

I hate forever living but you'll look like a dick if you join just to take the piss. Just ignore it.

maisiejones Sat 12-Nov-16 11:00:50

Anything else you can do? Grow up would be my advice.

AlexaTwoAtT Sat 12-Nov-16 11:04:23

Grow up. Agreed.

FameNameGameLame Sat 12-Nov-16 11:09:16

Approach her and explain approach her and explain why it is a con instead of being a dick?

Or stay out of it instead of being a dick?

Or consider why she is so desperate that she needs to resort to get rich quick schemes, instead of being a dick?

Maybe you should start an AIBU to ask how you can stop being such a dick?

Soubriquet Sat 12-Nov-16 11:09:21

Just refuse the invite

If she keeps pressuring you, say you "don't support pyramid schemes"

Though I said that once and got a response of "pyramid schemes are illegal. MLM isn't a pyramid scheme or it would be banned wouldn't it?"

I just left it and now we have an unspoken agreement not to talk about it

HRarehoundingme Sat 12-Nov-16 11:13:58

'I strongly object to the term ‘pyramid’ being used to describe my legitimate business. A ‘pyramid’ scheme involves a single person at the top making the most money in the company, with people on each level below them earning a progressively smaller size of the profits until you get to the entry-level mugs at the bottom. My business is ‘multi-level marketing’ – it is an entirely different setup with people on each tier earning an amount that is relative to their position in the triangular-based layout with the narrowest part at the summit.’

TaliDiNozzo Sat 12-Nov-16 11:25:46

Can't tell if HR is a bot or joking?

I think you need to remain quiet rather than taking the piss. MLM pyramid schemes are financially dangerous and you may find when she's seen the light (which hopefully she will) she will need support from people. People who escape the cult-like atmosphere of these schemes are often embarrassed about how they were taken in, taking the piss is probably not going to help.

Soubriquet Sat 12-Nov-16 11:33:16

Must be a MLM fan

They are pyramid schemes like it or not

The person at the top gets all the money without lifting a finger.

The people are the bottom get tiny handouts

MaidOfStars Sat 12-Nov-16 11:37:53

That was a very witty post from HR. Note the quotation marks. S/he's mocking those who claim MLM is not a pyramid scheme.

Soubriquet Sat 12-Nov-16 11:38:36

blush sorry if that's the case

MaidOfStars Sat 12-Nov-16 11:44:50

Poe's Law smile

HRarehoundingme Sat 12-Nov-16 11:51:39

Totally tongue in cheek - used to be on the mlm bot thread in previous name change.
grin

Soubriquet Sat 12-Nov-16 11:53:27

Poe's law?

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 11:55:56

Why would you? Don't you have real life to be getting on with?

ivykaty44 Sat 12-Nov-16 11:56:32

Decline invite and move away but just try to think kind thoughts

Cagliostro Sat 12-Nov-16 12:00:48

TBH I'd just refuse the invite saying it's not your kind of thing.

Although I would find it tempting to post this video of one of my favourite King of the Hill episodes, Bill of Sales (can't find it on youtube anymore though)

Cocklodger Sat 12-Nov-16 12:06:51

Leave her alone.
Either offer some support when it goes tits up or cut her off.

debbs77 Sat 12-Nov-16 13:44:20

Leave her alone. Whether it is a scam or not, regardless of anyone's opinion, she is at least trying to make a living and deserves praise not ridicule

TaliDiNozzo Sat 12-Nov-16 14:05:01

debbs, she doesn't deserve praise. Not taking the piss is one thing, but it would be wrong of the OP to go as far as encouraging her friend to be involved in something like this.

The OP's friend will not make a living from this, she will lose money (probably a lot of it) and probably lose friends because she will become a cult bot and people will get sick of hearing it.

I agree the OP needs to take a step back and ignore at the moment, but she certainly should not give anything resembling praise to this person.

CaesiumTime Sat 12-Nov-16 14:20:23

I feel really sad for her - she has false hope, will lose money and friends. Hope you can be there to support her when it all falls embarrassingly apart.

amysmummy12345 Sat 12-Nov-16 14:24:49

I've got an instagram friend who's become a scentsy "consultant" I'd never heard of them before but she's flooded my feed with overpriced candles and oil burners, is this company a MLM?

MrsRobinson79 Sat 12-Nov-16 14:28:21

Does anyone have any advice on how to genuinely help someone who is in one of these mlm's. My friend is doing very well with hers according to all leaderboards etc - and she has a huge team below her - over 50 people. She's done all this through very hard work etc and she is lovely - not at all pushy with her sales. But I don't think she making very much money... Even though she has such a big team. I know she's looking for a part time job to supplement her income. Has anybody got any experience of this? What was it that you realise that it's not worth the effort you were putting in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now