Cancelled wedding...money etc

(39 Posts)
littleme2016 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:09:09

So August 2016 me and my fiance were due to get married after 8 yrs together. In June 2016, I found he had been cheating and he began acting strangely...really paranoid etc, talking about drugs, wouldn't speak to me. Went to live with his family. I took decision to cancel wedding, it wasn't right to go ahead with it given his mental state and what I had found out. After over 2 months of no contact and cancelled meetings at his end. We met twice, he refused to discuss any of the difficult things, and just basically wanted things to go back to how they were before. He also blamed me for a lot of it. I wasn't happy and ended it in Sept 2016. He took it pretty well it seems and has promptly deleted me off Facebook etc...despite previously saying he'd like to stay friends if this scenario arose.

I am still upset and hurt but I have a strong support network around me. I am glad this came to light before we got married and no kids involved etc

I'm left with the outstanding issues of the finances....we got a small amount of deposits back which I transferred to his account (which he complained about how little it was...we cancelled with 2 months to go...we were lucky to get anything)

As the honeymoon was in his name...he took the decision to move this to next year without my input...so obviously I won't be getting my money bk on that. If we cancelled, we would have got a bit of a refund but he didn't want to do that. I don't know what the situation is now that we won't be going full stop...whether we get refund or not.

Anyway, there is an account in my name whereby we were saving for the wedding... essentially there is £1000 each. I really want no contact with him and it's evident he doesn't want contact with me.

What do I do about this money? Where do I stand on the honeymoon? I've also found a CD of his, what do I do with that? And would I BU to get rid of photos/cards etc at this point? I want to but don't wanna regret it either. I've still got the engagement ring. He hasn't contacted me about any of it. And I know it's petty but hes still got photos of me and him on his Facebook which I'm really not happy with...

Sorry for the essay but I have so many questions about etiquette and my friends and family are biased towards me obviously.

Thanks in advance.

monkeysox Fri 11-Nov-16 21:11:05

Keep it.

rumpelstiltskin43 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:14:01

Definately keep it.

happypoobum Fri 11-Nov-16 21:15:19

Keep it all. Block him on facebook/phone/email. Move on - far better things out there for you.

expatinscotland Fri 11-Nov-16 21:15:33

Keep it!

user1471463681 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:16:06

Keep it. His behaviour negates any politeness/fairness on your part.
Hope you're ok, sounds like you dodged a bullet but must be bloody tough.

LeftRightUpDown Fri 11-Nov-16 21:17:20

He has the holiday and you have this.

Seems an even split to me

cheminotte Fri 11-Nov-16 21:18:09

Keep the money. Bin his stuff.

inlectorecumbit Fri 11-Nov-16 21:20:12

Keep the engagement ring-if you want, you can always get it made into something else in the future.
His share of the money in the bank l would be looking on it as my share of the honeymoon that he is going to get the benefit of.
His FB is his FB l really don't think you can do anything about the photos on his page-- just delete him and you won't see themor what he is doing.
Your photos and his CD -l would bag them up and put them in the loft /basement/anywhere out of the way. You can decide about them months or years down the line when things are less raw for you.

inlectorecumbit Fri 11-Nov-16 21:21:57

themor !!! l don't have a clue what that should be blush

Izzabellasasperella Fri 11-Nov-16 21:22:38

Keep the ring. If he has moved the honeymoon it sounds like he is going to use it.Had you paid half? If so I'd keep the wedding fund money too.
Well done for getting out and staying strong.

Eevee77 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:33:36

Bin the CD. Keep the money and the ring. And thank god you never got married!

EweAreHere Fri 11-Nov-16 21:38:35

Keep it. You send him deposit money back, and he's taken it upon himself to take over the holiday.

Keep it and have a nice life. You're well rid by the sounds of it. x

ConvincingLiar Fri 11-Nov-16 21:45:28

You're entitled to keep the ring. I'd sell it. How much is the honeymoon worth? I'd consider keeping all the cash in lieu of the honeymoon. Unless the cd is exceptionally rare, he can buy it again. Maybe check Amazon/eBay before keeping/charity shopping.

ChickenVindaloo Fri 11-Nov-16 21:46:34

Don't get rid of the photos. Keep the money and the ring.

ChickenVindaloo Fri 11-Nov-16 21:49:07

2nd hand engagement rings don't fetch much.

If you like the ring, keep it to wear in future (on right hand if you like). When it's less raw.

mydietstartsmonday Fri 11-Nov-16 21:49:24

Keep it!

gillybeanz Fri 11-Nov-16 21:55:31

Keep it and he can have the honeymoon as a holiday.
Take yourself somewhere nice and peaceful, or go with a friend and party.
It's time to just walk away, he has made his decision and tbh sounds quite ill as though something just snapped. The drugs certainly won't help him.
Sorry this has happened to you, but you have your life in front of you and it will be good again.
Please don't try to work him out, you probably never will thanks

w12newmum Fri 11-Nov-16 21:56:57

what inlectorecumbit said

SpunkyMummy Fri 11-Nov-16 22:01:27

Well, how expensive was the honey moon?

Seeing as he moved it he seems like he wants to use it. So, this and the rest of his behaviour... he seems really horrible.

I think you should keep the ring and the money.

MimiSunshine Fri 11-Nov-16 22:02:00

So far it seems he's had the returned deposits (unless you meant you transferred to him half of what you had returned) and the honeymoon (you won't be getting anything back from that) so just keep the ring (it's a gift to you) and the money

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 11-Nov-16 22:05:44

Keep the money in lieu of the honeymoon. Have a holiday of your own! Sell the ring, bin the rest.

AcrossthePond55 Fri 11-Nov-16 22:09:13

Not sure what the law is in UK, but where I am in the US by law the engagement ring must be returned if the bride to be calls off the wedding, regardless of the behaviour of the groom to be. So just be sure where you stand legally before you sell or change the ring into another piece of jewelry.

As far as the bank account, I'd say you're entitled to half plus the money you put into the honeymoon.

Any 'mementos' and the CD I'd put in a bag or box and put in the loft or a closet or cupboard. Leave them there for aa few months, out of sight out of mind.

VanillaSpiceCandle Fri 11-Nov-16 22:11:26

Agree with others. And surely the honeymoon which he will be benefitting from is worth more than the cash.

I don't think it's worth contacting him over photos on Facebook given how he's acted. You could report the photos to Facebook and see if it will remove them. Then block him so you can't see them any more.

grumpymummy72 Fri 11-Nov-16 22:26:09

Don't sell the ring unless you have to, you won't get much for it. I turned my first engagement ring, after the dust had settled, into a simple diamond pendant that I now wear most days with no bad memories attached.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now