Talk

Advanced search

Armistice remembrance

(121 Posts)
Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 11-Nov-16 11:05:49

I am saddened that whilst we stood in remembrance, the traffic carried on and people seemed to ignore the time..

BusyBeez99 Fri 11-Nov-16 11:06:18

They always do and always will. In our small town we stand in the roads and force them to stop

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 11-Nov-16 11:09:03

I would need a few volunteers to stop the traffic outside my house...
It is a very busy road..

PS, good on you

Bejazzled Fri 11-Nov-16 11:16:37

The pictures broadcast by the BBC are very poignant. Prince Harry was quite emotional- in mumsnet speak, he 'seemed to have something in his eyes'

The additional minute silence for the tram crash tragedy was very sad.

Chocolate1985 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:17:32

We had a tannoy at work explaining there would be a silence was pretty annoyed to hear at 11 plenty of people talking and laughing it's really not that hard to be quiet for two minutes !

Akire Fri 11-Nov-16 19:21:41

I was in supermarket the staff stopped but there were still people who had just been served walking out of store with trolleys, can understand accidental working in and being unaware of day/time but if you are already there when it's announced it's just annoying.

ElizaSchuyler Fri 11-Nov-16 19:22:10

Do you really expect traffic to pull over on major roads. That could be quite dangerous surely.

If there is an organised ceremony then you can always apply to the police to have it closed off for that period of time.

If you stood in front of me on a public road where there were no restrictions I'd not be happy & would probably beep at you.

WaxyBean Fri 11-Nov-16 19:23:30

The traffic stopped in the City outside the a Royal Exchange this morning -very poignant and moving.

soundsystem Fri 11-Nov-16 19:27:31

I was going to post something similar. I was in the cafe at work today at 11am, there was an announcement so people knew it was happening/what the time was. I was a bit shocked by the number of people who carried on with what they were doing, just without speaking! So tapping away on laptops, choosing items for lunch, etc. I don't think it's that hard to actually stop what you're doing for two minutes!

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 11-Nov-16 19:27:56

I work in a call centre. We had two minutes silence and those on calls told the customer ahead of time that we were doing so. We asked whether they would like to stay on the line during that time or we would phone them back directly after. It's not possible to simply stop in every situation though. Busy that just sounds so ridiculously dangerous and ott.

backupbackup Fri 11-Nov-16 19:28:45

Are you expecting traffic to stop dead? hmm

Grilledaubergines Fri 11-Nov-16 19:31:11

Having the traffic stop is an accident waiting to happen and would be chaotic. In certain scenarios it's not possible. I always stop what I'm doing and observe but I'd be fucked off with someone attempting to stop me driving. That in itself is a bloody dangerous and stupid thing to try and do.

maddiemookins16mum Fri 11-Nov-16 19:35:36

It's simply not practical for every single person or vehicle to stop. Many people still stop to remember in their own way. I stopped by the frozen pizzas in Iceland this morning as many people carried on, some oblivious but it doesn't mean that on Sunday they won't watch the TV and pay their respects.

SporkLife Fri 11-Nov-16 19:43:57

Standing infront of vehicles to make them stop is silly it's often impractical and dangerous to stop in the car in the middle of the road, doesn't mean people won't have a moment of reflection later, I was asleep through the silence, paid my respects later in the day.

PootlewasthebestFlump Fri 11-Nov-16 19:44:08

I worked in a local council office once, dealing with the public. Everything stopped at 11 for the silence and people present were really good and stood heads bowed...but one year someone rand dead on 11 and it rang and rang because the phones were on a loop and continued to ring right throughout the silence. I wanted to leap over the desk and cut them off but didn't dare.

I don't think it's much to ask to stop and think, but if you're driving then no. Doesn't mean people aren't thinking though.

user1478551766 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:46:18

I can't imagine why you would think the traffic everywhere should just stop?

Some people think that there is one set way to think and behave about these things: you must wear a poppy, you must stand still and silent, you must go to church blah blah blah.
For a lot of us its all meaningless. Lest we forget, indeed.....is this the freedo so hard fought and won?

SauvignonBlanche Fri 11-Nov-16 19:49:35

I think expecting all traffic to stop is ridiculous.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Fri 11-Nov-16 19:50:57

I didn't stop work. I still remember, I just don't think I need to be seen doing it.

FuzzyCustard Fri 11-Nov-16 19:53:33

I was driving and pulled over to the side of the road for 2 minutes. Not in a dangerous place, of course.

ChippyMinton Fri 11-Nov-16 19:57:47

YABU.
If I were driving I would still observe the silence, listening to the radio.
And the Armistice Day observation is a relatively recent occurence, in addition to Remembrance Sunday which most people traditionally observe.

BackforGood Fri 11-Nov-16 19:58:06

I can't imagine why you think the traffic should stop either.
Many people observe a 2 minute silence at Remembrance Day Services on the Sunday nearest 11th. It's a relatively new thing asking people to stop on the actual 11th, and not always practical / realistic.

PrettyBotanicals Fri 11-Nov-16 19:59:23

Some people think that there is one set way to think and behave about these things: you must wear a poppy, you must stand still and silent, you must go to church blah blah blah. For a lot of us its all meaningless.

If you cannot give two minutes thought once a year to those who sacrificed what they did for us, so that we now live in freedom, and you genuinely believe it's meaningless then I am truly saddened on behalf of so many brave men and women.

Are you perhaps very young?

IneedAdinosaurNickname Fri 11-Nov-16 20:00:09

I was on the phone to my bf and just before 11 told him I'd call him back after the 2 mins silence. He was confused so I said "you know. For rememberance day"
He said "which one" and then claimed that as it wasn't 9/11 he had no idea what I was on about and that he used to wear a poppy as a child because "they look nice" hmm

FloodMud Fri 11-Nov-16 20:04:03

Are you perhaps very young?

Don't be so bloody patronising. And standing in the middle of the road to stop cars? Fucking mental.

user1478551766 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:06:07

If you cannot give two minutes thought once a year to those who sacrificed what they did for us, so that we now live in freedom, and you genuinely believe it's meaningless then I am truly saddened on behalf of so many brave men and women.Are you perhaps very young?

I'm rather old. And not British, so perhaps you should think about the fact that not every country fought in the war(s), or may have been on another side.
You clearly don't know very much about what the first world war, in particular, was about. I am truly saddened that you think it was fought so that everybody should do as you tell them to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now