To get fed up of my DP going to ExWs house regularly because of kids?

(631 Posts)
Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 22:51:57

I've been with my DP 5 years - and mostly good but for one niggle - he's always going to ExWs house because of their kids!

He takes his two daughters to Uni every morning - they live at their mum's - so he goes around every morning. Fair enough.

When their mum goes away they sometimes come to ours, they are very welcome, one used to live with us. But more and more they don't want to, and so DP goes to their house to see them and check they are OK. If they want their computer sorting, or a lift. Again, DP goes to theirs, they are often not ready, so he gets asked to go in, he does.

I do get that he needs a relationship. I do get that they are living at their mums. But why does it always have to be there?

I've tried to entice them to ours for the weekend, taken them out for dinners, all so that they can have some Dad time in his own house, or just him and them. His ExW has been starting to ask him more and more favours which involve him going to her house. They have a half sister now, who they hardly ever see because of this new 'norm'.

I'm just getting a bit fed up, but if I don't want to say anything directly as DP will just feel like I want to stop him seeing his daughters. Which I don't. I just wish it were more at our house!

Crunchymum Thu 10-Nov-16 22:53:50

Why does he take them to uni every day?

PickAChew Thu 10-Nov-16 22:55:58

Well, you did choose a DP who had kids...

But whyTF are his ADULT children not more independent? It's not like they need to be taken to primary school.

Heratnumber7 Thu 10-Nov-16 22:56:41

They probably like having him at home because it feels like they are a "proper family" again.

I'm not sure what you can do tnough.

Rainydayspending Thu 10-Nov-16 22:59:03

"Normally" at that age they'd be looking to move out soon, so the problem that you have should be short lived. But normally at that age in life you don't need a lift everyday.
Why did one live with you then leave?

kerryob Thu 10-Nov-16 22:59:53

Every morning is a lot, that's pretty much every day then! How much time does he spend at home with you? What happens if you need him in the morning?

If they're at uni surely they're old enough to get themselves in!

Rainydayspending Thu 10-Nov-16 23:00:51

Heratnumber7 could you define proper family, because that sounds a seriously messed up line of thinking.

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:02:15

They are quite stay at home types, I think they are living at their Mums for a few years yet. And yes I do think that they should be more independent. However I kind of keep those views to myself as DP and his ExW go a bit bananas about any outside views!

Also, I suppose, each family to their own. The only thing is, we are now an extended family. They have a half sister. I've cared for one of them full time for 4 years. And DP is my partner, not their mums! It just feels like it is going backwards!

GardenGeek Thu 10-Nov-16 23:05:11

'Kids' at uni who need their computers fixing hmm

Sorry to say this but as mid-20s I can tell you our age group could fix a computer 10 times faster than nearly any adult. Including me vs. my dad whos worked in IT his whole life. We were literally born into it, its instinctive to us, more so than cooking or cleaning tbh. So that sounds like BS.

Also needing a lift to uni?!?
a) seriously uncool
b) pathetic level of independence

This probably isn't helpful so sorry but this all sounds totally odd!

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:06:15

There was some bad feeling from the daughter who left towards me. I wonder if I'm being 'punished' as it were? I was pretty upset, but couldn't express it to anyone. I know it must be difficult having a step mum, but we got along fine at first, but I took each daughter separately on a weekend, and took the other one first, so the other one got resentful! She started to ignore me and her half sister, then one day I asked her to say hello at least to her half sister and she got angry, said that 'I wasn't her mother and couldn't tell her what to do'. And then moved back with her Mum.

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:09:05

Yes, not only computers fixed, but the daughter who used to live with us, has all her Uni books bought for her by DP, phones him to get lifts for her boyfriend, gets her Mum to wash all her clothes and cook, and has never, ever worked. The other daughter is at least working towards independence, has a part-time job, sorts out her own books. Both of them treat DP as a taxi, cash point, and PA.

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:11:44

kerryob I don't see him that much, he works until 7.30pm, (and often picks up daughters! Or pops around on an 'errand') - and I don't drive.

Duck90 Thu 10-Nov-16 23:13:56

Does he prefer being in the role of father to older children? How old is the child you have together. Maybe you are going backwards, what age were the older 2 when he and his ex broke up?

BestZebbie Thu 10-Nov-16 23:15:18

If the kids weren't there, then you'd have more grounds for YANBU. As it is, he is going to see them, they take priority.
Surely his Ex must be a bit sick of having him constantly hanging around in her space as well, though?

GardenGeek Thu 10-Nov-16 23:16:30

Hmm if thats the case maybe best not to rise to it then.

The only person you could raise it with would be DP and maybe thats what they want. You bickering over this.

flowers hope it gets better

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:19:55

duck his kids were around 10 when they broke up. Our child is 3. I'm not the OW or younger than him.

His ExW loves having him around, she still thinks of him in a husband role. She texts him daily. confused

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:22:27

gardengeek Thanks for that, cheered me up the flowers smile. Interesting point that there might be an awareness from ExW/Kids or both that this would be difficult for me and DPs relationship. I feel quite excluded too myself, I did spend a few years with the daughters.

Duck90 Thu 10-Nov-16 23:23:52

Sun. Sorry I wasn't thinking you were the ow.

Sunflowerspread Thu 10-Nov-16 23:26:46

duck oh sorry too I actually didn't mean it at you. I was just adding just in case, as if OW that can affect how a family feels.

GreatFuckability Thu 10-Nov-16 23:29:40

My ex and I speak frequently about our children, but not about anything else, I know his girlfriend doesn't like it, but frankly my kids and their needs come first. If you didn't like the level of contact, why have a child with him?

Rainydayspending Thu 10-Nov-16 23:29:54

You're not my mum comments are fairly straightforward, lazy outlet for teenage grumps really.
How did your partner deal with those comments?
My 10 (and my 8 year old, but she's never said that) year old knows her stepdad might not be her dad but is a responsible adult interested in her welfare and supporting her therefore, yes, he can provide her with guidance and enforce rules.

Mummyme1987 Thu 10-Nov-16 23:30:31

Wtf? That's stupid. It's like the first family is more important.

Mummyme1987 Thu 10-Nov-16 23:31:24

If they were small but they are adults! Surely it's just not necessary.

perditalost Thu 10-Nov-16 23:33:47

has all her Uni books bought for her by DP

that is pretty usual. But amazon account and sent to their house.

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 10-Nov-16 23:34:20

If he likes taking them to uni and all that stuff I'm not sure why it should be an issue.

He's not going to have many more years when they will be that interested in him in the current dad role

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now