Trump victory and citizenship worries

(23 Posts)
WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 18:33:44

Hi, my wife and stepson are from the United States but have been living in the U.K. For nearly 6 years. They have the legal right to live here but the terrible election result has caused a lot of worry for my wife and stepson.

My wife had British born grandparents would that increase the likelihood of citizenship.
My stepsons father is also a resident of this country.

So if anyone has any ideas a. Would my wife and son be entitiled or just one of them.

We obviously don't think that America is going to be wiped of the map. But my stepson is particularly worried as he is of Cuban-Italian American background through his dad's side and Trump rhetoric and Brexit has made him worried about his future.

Thanks Will

Creampastry Thu 10-Nov-16 18:49:15

What passports do they have?

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 18:51:38

They currently both have US passports.

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 18:52:39

I've been reading the gov uk page and I think my wife is most likely entitled but my stepson I am less sure about.

MuseumOfCurry Thu 10-Nov-16 18:53:49

Are you a UK citizen?

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 19:08:45

Yes I am a U.K. Citizen

WidowWadman Thu 10-Nov-16 19:14:48

Have a look at www.immigrationboards.com for advice.

Do they have ILTR or what is their immigration status?

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 19:16:08

Yes my wife has legal right to remain and so I assume her son does as weell

KateInKorea Thu 10-Nov-16 19:21:08

Don't assume! Check it out (also what age is he, and what is his fathers citizenship?).

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 19:23:17

He is 17 next month, his father has definitely US citizen and maybe Italian.

Out2pasture Thu 10-Nov-16 19:25:45

Due time to look into this. Not because of election results but just because it's important.

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 19:29:02

Okay so just to clarify his father has US and Italian citizenship, dss grandfather had Cuban citizenship (not sure if that affects anything).

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 20:02:49

Yes it is important regardless and it would be good if they could become citizens for many reasons.

lljkk Thu 10-Nov-16 20:38:12

Cuban part is irrelevant (I reckon).
Italian passport probably is an option, but may not be helpful.
Need to talk to UK Home Office about Right to Abode.
If your son leaves UK, what paperwork does he produce to re-enter UK?

lljkk Thu 10-Nov-16 20:39:16

ps: I think it's about £2.4k to go from ILR to citizenship right now, do you have ££££ available?

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 21:11:56

They both have permenant right to reside and would have US passports. It really is confusing.

EveOnline2016 Thu 10-Nov-16 21:12:13

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37941737

Going by this article trump and may wants to strengthen the special relationship between uk and USA.

BizzyFizzy Thu 10-Nov-16 21:14:11

What, specifically, are you worried about?

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 10-Nov-16 21:33:40

I don't really understand what you are worried about?

If your wife and stepson have indefinite leave to remain then there really is no problem.

My mum is Spanish, she has been in the U.K since she was nine years old and has indefinite leave to remain. She has never wanted or sought British citizenship and it has never adversely affected her or myself.

SquinkiesRule Thu 10-Nov-16 21:36:33

You might want to check out talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0 they know lots about US citizens living in the UK and the visas/citizenship and things like that.

WillMan Thu 10-Nov-16 21:54:53

I am not worried my stepson is, but with someone like trump in charge it would be best to prepare for the very worst/idiotic things to happen.

NorksAkimbo72 Thu 10-Nov-16 22:02:57

If they both have infinite leave to remain, then they both should be able to naturalise; I'm an American, married to a Brit, and once I had my ilr, I was able to apply for citizenship.

wildcoffeeandbeans Thu 10-Nov-16 22:20:44

I'm from the US and came to the UK on a marriage visa with my daughter. We both got UK citizenship last year. Unless they have criminal records, there's no reason why your wife and stepson couldn't pursue citizenship (though it is expensive, shame they didn't apply for it years ago). The only problem would be if your stepson's father didn't live in the UK, but you say he does so that's all fine then. Best for them to get it out of the way anyway, Trump/Brexit notwithstanding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now