Cleaners ruined my bath Matt

(80 Posts)
creamcheeseandlox Wed 09-Nov-16 22:26:19

I have my cleaners every week and over the past month or so I am getting a bit disillusioned with them. So much so that I am seeking a new one. Anyway, I came home today after they had been and I noticed white bleach spots on my charcoal bath Mat. The first of these appeared a while ago but I didn't say anything, but today there were noticeably a few more to the point where I am going to have to get a new one. AIBU to ask the cleaners to pay for a new one seeing as they were the Ones who spoiled it? I don't use bleach on the loo between visits so it's definitely not me who has marked the mat plus the shower is over the other side of the bathroom. Petty or principle?

CommunistLegoOoOoBloc Wed 09-Nov-16 22:35:54

Petty IMO. Buy a new one, hang it somewhere out of the line of fire. If it happens again then maybe you'd have cause to say something.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 09-Nov-16 22:36:44

Yabu

Nanny0gg Wed 09-Nov-16 22:37:05

Is it a company?

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 09-Nov-16 22:37:08

To make them pay

Oldraver Wed 09-Nov-16 22:37:12

Remove the bleach

creamcheeseandlox Wed 09-Nov-16 22:40:05

Not a company but an mother and daughter. It's questionable what they actually do as they come when I'm at work and they have been known for shirking in the past. As I said, I'm on the look out for a new one.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 22:41:40

I've done the same,accidents happen especially when you use bleach.

AgathaMystery Wed 09-Nov-16 22:43:32

They should have insurance. I have asked my cleaners to claim for a few towels they ruined and a kettle they smashed. It's no biggie, it's what insurance is for. They will probably not claim it - & it will likely never happen again.

creamcheeseandlox Wed 09-Nov-16 22:48:03

I understand accidents happen but this is the second or third time I've noticed new spots. I was going to say to them that I'll get a new one and take it out of next weeks money?? Is this not the done thing?

Liiinoo Wed 09-Nov-16 22:51:04

I would point it out to them and ask them to be more careful in future. I wouldn't expect them to pay this time but would say if it happens again you will expect them to replace.

I no longer let my cleaners use bleach. They seem to scatter it around like confetti and let it take the place of elbow grease.

tigerdriverII Wed 09-Nov-16 22:52:46

Why didn't you mention it the first time?

PippaPug Wed 09-Nov-16 22:53:33

No you can not do that, I'm sure it's a accident but why won't you speak to them about it?!

If they broke a glass would you ask them to replace it?

ElizabethHoney Wed 09-Nov-16 23:02:00

I wouldn't expect them to pay, but I'd definitely mention it to them - not least, so they're more careful with the new mat.

Lorelei76 Wed 09-Nov-16 23:02:07

Jeez, it's an accident. You should have just asked them the first time.

User1234567891011 Wed 09-Nov-16 23:02:12

Buy a new one and just say to them ''Do you mind moving the bath mat next time you're in here with bleach, it shows up a lot and I don't want my new one ruined as well.'' Don't ask them to replace but make sure you mention it when you do.

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 09-Nov-16 23:06:23

to the point where I am going to have to get a new one. AIBU to ask the cleaners to pay for a new one seeing as they were the Ones who spoiled it?

Really? You have to get a new mat because there are a couple of bleach spots on it? Do they render it unusable now or something? Also, why on earth are you leaving your bath mat on the floor between uses? Don't you hang it to dry out? Especially when you know you have people coming to clean the floor.

As for asking them to pay, bath mats are a couple of quid. Massively petty IMO to ask them for a couple of quid.

elephantoverthehill Wed 09-Nov-16 23:06:40

Who is Matt?

elephantoverthehill Wed 09-Nov-16 23:09:07

And why should he have to complain to the cleaners about your bath?

MaisieDotes Wed 09-Nov-16 23:16:20

I can't imagine leaving the bathmat on the floor or elsewhere in the bathroom while the bathroom is being cleaned. Does it not go off to be washed at that point?

gemmawinegum Wed 09-Nov-16 23:19:38

Probably a bit harsh to dock their wages but they surely must have known they did it and they should have owned up. Bleach is bleach though and accidents happen.

BerylStreep Wed 09-Nov-16 23:22:13

I think it is fair enough to point out the damage that has been caused and ask them to be more careful in future, especially if you are buying a new one.

I wouldn't ask them to replace on this occasion.

LIZS Wed 09-Nov-16 23:25:37

Let this one go and replace once they've gone. Do you provide the cleaning materials or do they? Have you stated no bleach? Has the mat been washed recently as bio powder can do the same.

shrunkenhead Wed 09-Nov-16 23:27:05

Surely you know the bathroom will be cleaned and remove bath mat to allow cleaners to vac and mop bathroom? It's an accident. Let it go. If you have bleach issues then don't provide it or ask them not to use it in future. It's beyond petty to charge them. Cleaners get peanuts as it is, especially if it's a company. You might pay £15 per hr but they'll only be getting min wage.

herethereandeverywhere Wed 09-Nov-16 23:32:57

It's an unwritten mumsnet rule that you can't have a cleaner AND dare to criticise what they do/don't do.

IMO it's not unreasonable to expect them to do their job without permanently damaging your property. They should also be switched on enough to notice and report any damage they cause accidentally. I think you should explain this to them and ask how the think it should be dealt with. Be fair, be honest about how great they are but also be straight about this problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now