AIBU to think it's too early to put your tree up

(41 Posts)
Dizzybintess Wed 09-Nov-16 11:16:15

I have at least 3 friends on FB who all put their trees up last week. It's the first week in November for the love of god! I would be sick to death of the sight of it by xmas. Mine goes up 12 days before xmas and back down 12 days after x

PurpleDaisies Wed 09-Nov-16 11:16:45

I totally agree. I don't think shops should be playing Christmas music yet either.

pictish Wed 09-Nov-16 11:20:34

Ach it's a new trend that's been building strength for a few years now.

To each their own. I love Christmas but only in December. I think I'd be heartily sick of my tree and all things Christmas if I started now or any time in November.

Dizzybintess Wed 09-Nov-16 11:21:16

The music is ridiculous I used to work for Tesco and by the time xmas came I was so over it!!!

LagunaBubbles Wed 09-Nov-16 11:22:50

It's the first week in November for the love of god! I would be sick to death of the sight of it by xmas

But everyones different - mine isnt up yet but if it was I wouldnt be sick of the sight of it by Christmas.

AlexaTwoAtT Wed 09-Nov-16 11:23:02

The trees must be fake?

Dizzybintess Wed 09-Nov-16 11:23:28

My parents have a lady in their street who puts her decorations up in September the whole garden filled with light up crap
The whole street calls her Mrs Christmas

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 09-Nov-16 11:24:55

YANBU. I couldn't be doing with having to dust my Christmas tree.

I love Christmas and will happily put the tree up on 1st December - or the first weekend after 1st December if we are getting a real one. Not November though.

ObsidianWinter Wed 09-Nov-16 11:25:31

Our tree goes up on Christmas Eve, and comes down on New Year's Day. I get sick of it if it's up for longer.

Beth2511 Wed 09-Nov-16 11:26:17

I would put mine up on the 1st December but this year I have a 'spirited' two year old and even more 'spirited' cat so it's going up on the 23rd to save my sanity on how many times it will be pulled over

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 09-Nov-16 11:28:29

Nope, that is ridiculous. Tree up the weekend before Christmas, down on 12th night.
In my experience those who put the tree up early have it down on boxing day!

Dizzybintess Wed 09-Nov-16 11:29:01

I totally appreciate that we are all different and we all have different excitement levels for Christmas but putting up decorations for something that's essentially 2 months away is extreme.m

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 09-Nov-16 11:31:10

A GP I know used to have a very elderly patient who kept hers up all year round. He said he found it rather cheerful and wondered why more people didn't do it.

I put mine up 1st December and keep them up until the party I have towards the end of January.

I read somewhere that the whole "get them down by 12th Night" was a Victorian invention to remind factory workers the fun was well and truly over.

MauiWest Wed 09-Nov-16 11:34:33

My tree would be dead by Christmas!

I think it's very sad, people spend so much time focusing on one day and wish their lives away. They try to completely ignore at least a month of the year. I like Christmas, but it's ONE day! You can stretch it to a week if you have time off, but that's it.

Artandco Wed 09-Nov-16 11:35:35

Mine would be dead by Christmas also

TeenAndTween Wed 09-Nov-16 11:54:10

Ours goes up on the last day of term and comes down the day before term restarts. No way can I cope with school and Christmas simultaneously!

LunaLoveg00d Wed 09-Nov-16 12:07:02

I think it's very sad, people spend so much time focusing on one day and wish their lives away. They try to completely ignore at least a month of the year. I like Christmas, but it's ONE day! You can stretch it to a week if you have time off, but that's it.

Could not agree more. For some people, it's Halloween then immediately into 8 weeks of Christmas. November ceases to exist. I do think there's something really sad about not living in the moment and enjoying what you have, and you're constantly planning the best Christmas ever from about April and working yourself into a frenzy over pigs in blankets and tinsel.

People need to chill the fuck out. When I'm Queen of the World it will be against the law to put up your tree, eat a mince pie or play Merry Christmas Everybody until 15th December. And that's being generous.

FleurThomas Wed 09-Nov-16 12:10:16

I'm asking myself the same question. All the xmas decorations in shops has made me feel festive.

NathanBarleyrocks Wed 09-Nov-16 12:15:41

I wish Christmas wasn't mentioned anywhere until December. If you want to start your shopping early, there's nothing to stop you. No need for Christmas songs/stock in shops or advertising before December though. I'm sure it wasn't like this 20 years ago?

LunaLoveg00d Wed 09-Nov-16 12:20:36

It's a race to the bottom. I volunteer in a charity shop a couple of times a week and we've had our Christmas cards out since mid-October because all the other charity shops in the town have too. We can't risk sales because someone comes looking for cards and they're not there. We'd have to get everyone to agree no CHristmas items until 1st December, and that's not going to happen.

AuntieStella Wed 09-Nov-16 12:22:43

I think it's too early, because I like to celebrate Christmas for the full 12 Days so putting the tree up about a week before Christmas means it's up for about 3 weeks which seems about right to me.

(I also think it's too early to be starting Christmas threads outside the topic)

PilkoPumpPants Wed 09-Nov-16 12:26:17

Mine usually goes up pretty early(last day of the month in November so it's ready for Dec 1st), but I always take down all the Christmas stuff on boxing day, including the treegrin.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 09-Nov-16 12:27:33

I completely agree with absolutely everything you've said LunaLoveG00d.

I can't stand going to the shops at this time of year, it makes me feel miserable and anxious. It is just so WRONG.

Changingagain Wed 09-Nov-16 12:28:27

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, YABU. It makes people happy and doesn't affect you, so let them be. Not that I'm one of those people, mine won't be up until December.

Dizzybintess Wed 09-Nov-16 13:34:10

I have not bought a single xmas gift yet so shops are making me super anxious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now