Talk

Advanced search

Restoring your faith in humanity

(30 Posts)
PeanutButterJellyBeans Tue 08-Nov-16 21:59:35

What has happened to you that has proven their are many good people out there?

PeanutButterJellyBeans Tue 08-Nov-16 22:01:43

Perhaps not pointing out OP's grammatical error?! blush

WutheringFrights Tue 08-Nov-16 22:09:26

I work in a little farm shop and today a youngish chap came in to buy a slice of cake for his wife because he had bought the 'boys' out for lunch.
He looked out the window and said 'uh-oh here they come now, sorry about the invasion of sticks!'
I waited patiently expecting to see a stream of rowdy toddlers...
Who came round the corner?
Four immaculately dressed elderly gentlemen all beaming from ear to ear!

Flatbox Tue 08-Nov-16 22:10:42

Hmmm, I'm struggling to think of something... will post later if I ever think of anything..

MingeFog Tue 08-Nov-16 23:05:30

The last nice thing a stranger did was give me her carparking ticket, which had an hour left on it. I was just thinking to myself 'damn, why didn't I plot my change in advance' (machine doesn't give any) and a heavily-pregnant lady approached me and asked if I'd like her ticket. I do the same to others when I'm in that carpark, so it was nice to get it back grin

Haggisfish Tue 08-Nov-16 23:08:35

Lots of small examples like these.

dublingirl48653 Tue 08-Nov-16 23:13:10

being in an office with fab kind people who take the time to ask if I am ok and talk through strategies with me when my life is going pear shaped

Honeybadger01 Tue 08-Nov-16 23:14:09

I had a flat tyre recently and was stranded in a tesco car park near work becoming increasingly frustrated with my inability to open the jack, which had somehow got twisted and would not open. A man in the car park tried to help and when he could not open the jack either called friends of his who came in a van with a hydraulic jack and changed the tyre for me, wouldn't accept anything in thanks. I was so grateful.

AtSea1979 Wed 09-Nov-16 07:02:39

Place marking

hungryhippo90 Wed 09-Nov-16 07:24:16

The kindest thing someone did recently, was I'd ploughed into his parked van (the road has cars parked either side, becomes v narrow and you have to zigzag, I'd given the car to my right a bit of extra room, and didn't turn quickly enough to not hit his van) left a note. Fully expecting him to go bonkers at me. HIS VAN WAS PARKED. Obviously it was my fault.
When he finally contacted me a week later, he'd said ah yes, you did hit me, but Its just a light that needs replacing. I'll go to the breakers yard and get a new one, then he asked if me and my car were ok! I felt like he was really kind.

Pisssssedofff Wed 09-Nov-16 07:28:18

Somebody paid for my lunch when I got to the front of the que before spotting the cash only sign

DesignedForLife Wed 09-Nov-16 08:27:27

Several people donated blood and platelets a few weeks ago, and in doing so saved my life.

ShotsFired Wed 09-Nov-16 08:39:17

I was driving an unfamiliar car and was flagged down by another driver who'd spotted a flat tyre (I hadn't noticed! blush )

He changed it for me*, despite being on his way to meet someone, then made sure I was off safely, followed me for a bit to make sure there were no issues with the new one he'd put on, before he waved cheerfully and went off on his own travels. Wouldn't take anything except a thank you for his trouble.

* I do technically know how to change a tyre, but it would have taken me a LOT longer than the 10-15mins it took him! I'd probably just have called breakdown.

Thinkingblonde Wed 09-Nov-16 09:11:58

My car had broken down on a busy road, I opened the bonnet hoping to spot a loose connection or something. A silver coloured works van pulled up, three men in the front seats, the driver got out and asked what the problem wasI told him it had just come to stop, he shouted for his mates to 'bring the box'. The box was brought out connected to the battery. 'I'll get it going again but you need a new battery' says the driver. They did get my car going again and then followed me for quite some distance to make sure it kept going. I bought a new battery the following day.

KERALA1 Wed 09-Nov-16 09:16:04

When I had spd 8 months pregnant and on crutches so many kindnesses shown by every type of person, in central London too. Lifts given by builders in their van as I struggled to walk down street, shopping carried, seats given up.

Lovely lady in Cardiff paid for my bus ticket as they had ridiculous exact change only policy.

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Wed 09-Nov-16 09:16:11

A pet went missing
Everybody went out to look for him
In a large town
Heartwarming

Thinkingblonde Wed 09-Nov-16 09:34:34

Another one car related: One Christmas Eve on the way to delver presents to relatives the sliding door of a van in front of me opened and a an object fell out, I swerved to avoid it but still managed to clip it with my near side front tyre, shredding the tyre. I managed to keep the car under control and took the next available exit then pulled over to examine the damage. Unbeknown to me a Police car had seen what had happened, he missed the exit but took the next one and came back to help me, checked I wasn't hurt then asked me where my spare tyre was. I pointed to the pile of presents and said " underside of the car. But the latch is under that lot of presents" We emptied the boot, dropped the spare wheel housing and he kindly changed the tyre for me. Put the presents back and followed me for a bit then drove off. It was raining, where I'd pulled over was quite mucky, the tyre housing was filthy from the spray off the roads and by the time he'd finished his lovely clean uniform was filthy. I tried help by holding an umbrella over him but it didn't do much good.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 09-Nov-16 09:39:28

I'm running a sponsored 10K for pancreatic cancer research in May & was hoping to reach £500. People have been so generous that I'm way past that & heading for £1,000. It's not just the donations, it's the lovely encouraging messages that come with them.

Lucydogz Wed 09-Nov-16 10:09:49

I was on a walk in Japan and it was pouring with rain - I was soaked and very miserable. This guy walked past me with an umbrella, then walked back to me and gave the umbrella to me.

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:05:25

What a lovely idea tor a thread!

I recently had our first baby and wes over-whelmed by the thoughtfulness of both our loved ones and acquaintances. We received lovely gifts and wishes from some people we would never have expected which I thought was amazing!

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:08:36

What a lovely idea tor a thread!

I recently had our first baby and wes over-whelmed by the thoughtfulness of both our loved ones and acquaintances. We received lovely gifts and wishes from some people we would never have expected which I thought was amazing!

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:09:03

Sorry it said my post failed so I re-tried!

Ohyesiam Wed 09-Nov-16 15:07:30

The guy at the garage just mended my car for free. It didn't take him long, but he could easily have asked for £40.
I'm between young and gorgeous, and old an d helpless, so he is obviously just a nice guy.

Blossomdeary Wed 09-Nov-16 15:19:02

When I had surgery a couple of years ago, I was so poorly afterwards and had a very long recovery. I knew that my family would rally round, but was overwhelmed by kindnesses and still find the memory boosts my spirits.

Northernpowerhouse Wed 09-Nov-16 15:29:44

I love this thread. It is making me feel all warm and fuzzy!!! no examples that spring to mind but it makes me want to do someone a favour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now