Talk

Advanced search

To worry about fitting in plane seat

(25 Posts)
Cheesetoasties11 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:45:13

Just before anyone leaves a snarky comment, I'm fat and aware of it. I am not in denial and I'm working on it.

I've just been invited on an exciting trip to Moscow with my best friend flying with British airways. I told her I was hesitant to say yes as I'm a size 24 and I worry that I won't fit in the plane seat. She told me I was worrying unduly but it's been a while since I've flown and was much smaller then

For reference I can fit in London Underground seats (the ones with fixed arms) and a seatbelt is not a problem.

Aibu to worry? I don't mind asking for an extended belt but would be mortifying to not fit in seat or be asked to buy another ticket sad

FleurThomas Tue 08-Nov-16 21:47:44

If you can fit into a london underground seat you should be fine as long as you're not in the middle seat. But that's easily solved by booking the aisle.

fussygalore118 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:51:15

You will be fine! You8h may need an extender belt bit you will fit in the seat! Have a fab time!

Aeroflotgirl Tue 08-Nov-16 21:52:12

You will be fine, my Mil is a size 28 and flies quite regularly.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 08-Nov-16 21:54:15

Have a lovely trip (you'll be fine but try for the aisle)

Starrystarrynight456 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:55:31

Have a friend your size Op. Don't worry you'll fit but yes make sure you're not in the middle seat. I know when I've travelled with my friend she always makes sure she is sat next to someone travelling with her so she can put the arm rest up if necessary. Depending on who you're travelling with it may mean paying extra to book seats next to each other but probably worth it for peace of mind.

fourquenelles Tue 08-Nov-16 21:56:36

I flew all over the place when I was a size 24/26 and the only squeeze was the middle seat on a Virgin Atlantic flight. You may not need an extender either, it depends on the airline and how many seats they cram into the cabin.

Cheesetoasties11 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:07:48

Thank you so much everyone!

Wolfiefan Tue 08-Nov-16 22:10:00

Good luck with the weight loss!
If you're worried could you contact the airline to ask advice. Maybe that way they could reassure you and if necessary have an extender belt ready for you.
Moscow sounds amazing. Enjoy!

SparklyLeprechaun Tue 08-Nov-16 22:12:04

You'll be fine, don't worry. My mum is about that size and fits no problem. Enjoy your trip!

glueandstick Tue 08-Nov-16 22:23:04

I flew at 31 weeks pregnant and didn't need an extended seat belt. You'll be fine smile

Have a fabulous time! Wear warm clothes and buy a furry hat.

HotMilkVolcano Tue 08-Nov-16 22:24:09

Flew long haul last year at the same size as you and I was fine for 11 hours smile

It was with United and although the seat belt was at its limit I got away without using an extender too. I was feeling exactly the same as you right up until I actually sat on the plane!

Recently flew easyjet and fit in their seats too but absolutely had to have an extension which was given to me without so much as a second glance. Makes me wish I'd have asked on the long haul for comfort!

Honestly OP you'll be absolutely fine. I was and I'm short and fat!! Haha Enjoy your fantastic holiday!

YelloDraw Tue 08-Nov-16 22:27:29

If you can fit in the underground seats you will fit in a plane seat.

Book prem economy if you are too worried.

Pay to choose seat ahead of time and try and keep your arms crossed in front of you so you aren't pressing your arm into the person next to you too much.

joangray38 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:33:08

My mum is a size 22 and she had no problem even with the arm rests down . Moscow is a fab place. So jealous . Have a great time and wrap up warm!

Llamallann Tue 08-Nov-16 23:36:59

You will be fine. I am the same size as you and v short. I have had no problem, travel often and only ever had to have the extension on the airlines that cram seats in (like easyJet) even then no one cared they just passed it over. Have a really good trip smile

AlpacaPicnic Wed 09-Nov-16 03:13:40

Oh, op, I feel the same way as you! I'm flying to west coast USA next year and I've booked into a Premium Economy seat just in case, plus I've started walking home from work to lose weight! I'm a 24 too. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

OlennasWimple Wed 09-Nov-16 03:21:44

OP - the SeatGuru site is great for giving the detail, seat by seat, of different flights

Skittlesss Wed 09-Nov-16 08:00:43

I'm and 18/20 and was worried too on my last flight as I hadn't flown for 6 years. Just wanted to say you're not alone in your worry, but don't stress too much - I saw the air hostess giving out a couple of extenders but it was discreet and they didn't make any big announcements or anything. My belt was nearly at the limit but I do seem to have more flab when sat down. I flew with Monarch and if you are too then feel free to PM me and I can send waist measurements if that makes you feel better smile

EBearhug Wed 09-Nov-16 08:06:02

I'm size 22 and Easyjet is no problem. I'm about the limit of the seat belt length, but the woman next to me was handed an extender with no fuss. You will be fine.

Cheesynightmare Wed 09-Nov-16 08:10:24

at size 24 your bottom will fit in the seat BUT you may need a seatbelt extender (ask stewards as they pass) and you may find the table in front doesn't come down full. so that means no hot drinks as nowhere to put them them. in the past I used to fold my jumper under the tray so it didn't lean on my tummy. that said this is worse possible scenario so enjoy your lovely holiday.

Fluffyears Wed 09-Nov-16 08:43:52

You'ok guy no problem and I've seen them give out extenders and it's fairly run if the milk they don'5 draw attention to it.

TheMaddHugger Wed 09-Nov-16 08:48:04

My Sis and I are both size 24 au. She has traveled a few time on a plane, she didnt have any trouble. and she was in 'cattle classs'

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) Sweetie

MrsJayy Wed 09-Nov-16 08:48:19

My husband is a big chap and seatbelt fits fine on budget airline he does book aisle seats see if you can do that you will be ok.

JustCallMeKate Wed 09-Nov-16 08:51:05

I fly regularly with a friend who's a size 20ish. She bought a seatbelt extender from Amazon as some airlines belts were fine and others weren't. They're also black instead of the red orangey ones the airline give out and she doesn't need to ask for one now.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Wed 09-Nov-16 09:00:37

It's it just fitting your bum into the seat though. Your upper body needs to fit in the seat and not spill into your neighbours space or the aisle. Also the space between your stomach and the seat in front isnt very big. You may be unable to put your tray down at mealtimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now