To add fake bids to all the greedy bastards selling hatchimals on ebay?

(24 Posts)
thefourgp Tue 08-Nov-16 19:33:01

There's 22 pages of them. Bought for the sole purpose of selling on for up to £1k!!!!!???? (£60 toy) by some greedy bastards preying on parents struggling to get one in time for Christmas. I've been trying for a month with no luck. Sold out within minutes of becoming available because a few assholes have all the time in the world to sit with their laptop open waiting for them to become available. Do you think the toy manufacturers purposely release less than they think will sell to increase the publicity? I know there's plenty of other products available but that's not the point i'm making.

witsender Tue 08-Nov-16 19:59:39

I think it is hard to know which will sell and which won't, there are so many toys coming out all the time. I doubt they restrict it, they would sell tonnes more so by doing it this way the profit goes to those selling them on not the producers!

I hadn't heard of them until this post, but have just googled. Surely they're kind of a 'one trick pony'? Doesn't look like a lot for £60.

Cocklodger Tue 08-Nov-16 20:00:55

Why would adding fake bids do anything?
Other than damaging your own ebay account.

twobambinos Tue 08-Nov-16 20:01:16

I ordered 3 in the hope that two would show up and I ended up with 3 so I returned one to smyths. They are due back in store the end of November so Hopefully you will be able to get one by then.

swoonmacaroon Tue 08-Nov-16 20:04:50

Just keep tying Tesco Direct I got one a week ago and they stayed in stock for a few hours.

crje Tue 08-Nov-16 20:08:51

It's a bit early to panic
The supply with catch up with demand.

I think they are robbery at any price!

NeeNahh Tue 08-Nov-16 20:19:29

I don't think it's that people selling are greedy. I think it's that people willing to pay 1000 have more money than sense. If there wasn't a demand there would be no supply.

thefourgp Tue 08-Nov-16 21:02:59

Thanks for the replies. Checking online at least twice a day for a month was causing me to get a bit angry. I wasn't going to use my real eBay account. I was thinking of creating a fake one and placing high bids then not paying so the sellers have to relist them but I've calmed down and i can see how pointless and petty that would be. One lovely mumsnetter sent me a pm link to a company called bol.com in the Netherlands that ships internationally. That's one of the reasons i love this site. There's a lot of kind people on it. I know it's still early but I like to have all my Christmas shopping done by 1st December. Saves me from getting stressed! Lol. Xx

Shakirawannabe Tue 08-Nov-16 21:30:05

There seems to be quite a few for sale on eBay at the £70-£80 mark, I doubt anyone will get £1000 for one

Lea060398 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:47:05

I got mine from Amazon a few weeks ago but they seem to be retailing at silly prices on there at the moment. In my opinion nothing can beat a Furby and I've seen a Star Wars Furbacca on Amazon for £60! In fact, just going back there now to get it (for DD of course...) grin

665TheNeighbourOfTheBeast Tue 08-Nov-16 22:52:43

They're in stock in tescos..can't see someone paying £1000 on eBay as an alternative to that

KaosReigns Tue 08-Nov-16 22:56:13

They're available in NZ, try order online from somewhere like The Warehouse will cost a bit more but not 4 digits.

I don't think they've caught on here so much.

FireSquirrel Tue 08-Nov-16 22:58:20

Absolute waste of money at the original price, let alone the ridiculous prices on ebay. It can only 'hatch' out of it's egg once, egg is not reusable, and then all you're left with is a fairly mediocre talking toy. Whoever designed it must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Catsize Tue 08-Nov-16 22:59:03

Saw some in Holland. Drat. Am never business savvy enough. wink

neonrainbow Tue 08-Nov-16 23:01:47

They look like the shittest toy in the world. More fool you if you waste your money on one at any price. You're buying into all the massive hype that's creating a demand for them so you're part of the problem.

BananaInPyjama Tue 08-Nov-16 23:05:10

never heard of them - but googling shows they are available in Big W Australia, as well as Toyr R Us...so you could order from there (AuD75-100) and slightly cheaper than UK.

Manumission Tue 08-Nov-16 23:26:48

Step back and deep breaths might be less hassle in the long run?

user1477282676 Tue 08-Nov-16 23:34:23

It's disgusting and the toy manufactuers and Ebay should stop it!

Your thread made me think though as DD wants one and I've not got one...I'm in Oz and last week our Toys r us had loads and just checked...all gone!

I phoned a small independent toy shop and they informed me they just got a delivery of them in and would keep one back for me till Friday. Can't believe the kindness of them.

Maybe it's worth calling smaller shops in the UK too?

Andrewofgg Wed 09-Nov-16 01:00:09

Law of supply and demand, anybody?

It's a crap toy, not an essential for life. If you can't find one buy something else.

MidniteScribbler Wed 09-Nov-16 01:48:03

It's not mandatory to buy whatever the current new fad is.

pipsqueak25 Wed 09-Nov-16 08:03:28

give it a week or two after christmas and charity shops won't be able to give them away grin

JustHereIGuess Wed 09-Nov-16 08:06:29

Petty much??

ZoeTurtle Wed 09-Nov-16 08:58:04

YABU

Teach your kids they can't always have what they want??

londonrach Wed 09-Nov-16 09:04:53

Over priced at £60. Seems very limited in play value. Alot will be for sale in January in our local fb pages i think. Don't vote only encourage others to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now