AIBU to have cold feet and back out of potential job interview?

(9 Posts)
PopcornFiend Tue 08-Nov-16 19:23:24

Ok need advice please as on the verge of emailing recruiter to pull out.

I work in sales. My current job is fine. Pays £30k, no bonus structure at present (this should be introduced shortly, though has been promised for 7 months and not yet implemented..) I've been doing the job 3 years, like my colleagues, like my customers, and I'm doing pretty well this year. Also the job fits v well around my home life (2 small DCs). Head office is also near by so convenient for meetings etc.

Call from headhunter out of the blue yesterday. New potential job pays £37k, good commission structure, better car. Similar geographical area. Head office 2hrs away. It's selling a product I haven't sold before, sort of related to what I sell now but no experience with - though company will train apparently. Went through telephone interview today, will find out tomorrow if selected for stage 1 interview.

I'm getting cold feet.

Not sure if it's silly to uproot and pursue this job when my current one is actually v suitable in terms of work life balance, and I am settled & doing well. All for a £7k pay rise?

Really tempted to email recruiter and back out. If I get to interview it means booking a day's holiday to get to their head office, then potentially another day's holiday if I get to 2nd interview.

It ain't broke. Should I fix it?
Totally confused.

theaveragewife Tue 08-Nov-16 19:25:52

It might not be broken, but it is fractured. Promises not being met would have me looking for something else.

Wouldn't hurt to find out what the other job is like and therefore your value? At best you could re-negotiate your own deal with current work and at worse you don't get it and carry on being relatively content.

PopcornFiend Tue 08-Nov-16 19:41:00

Thanks average. Yes true it couldn't hurt to see. I suppose I'm just terrified that I could end up shooting myself in the foot as my current job (whilst not without its problems) works so well around family life. Thanks for your thoughts though smile

PurplePen Tue 08-Nov-16 19:47:02

Go for the interview, see how far you get, treat it as a potential bargaining tool to get your current employer to pull their finger out and sort out what they've been promising for the past 7 months, and possibly negotiate a pay rise too.

MrsMozart Tue 08-Nov-16 19:50:16

No guarantee the new one would be any better in terms of promises met.

For all the positives of the current I'd stay put.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 08-Nov-16 19:55:06

You can still go for the interview. If you get and decide you want great. If you get it and dont want it great, too.
No one is going to hold you to ransom and force you to take it.
you can't need the extra money, as you're talking about 7k like its a fiver or something

Pettywoman Tue 08-Nov-16 20:09:00

Meet the people. It can't hurt to get a feel of the place to see if you like it.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 08-Nov-16 20:12:40

Id stay put

Flatbox Tue 08-Nov-16 20:15:52

Go for the interview, if you get offered it, then you can make a real choice to accept or refuse it. An interview is a two way process so make sure you ask them plenty of questions as well. What training is available, what are the progression opportunities, flexible working, etc. Is it a permanent position, pension and other benefits? It might help clarify what would make you move jobs even if you don't take this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now