Talk

Advanced search

To be honest?

(11 Posts)
Tilliebean Tue 08-Nov-16 18:58:31

I have dilemma. I am currently working on a years contract at a local charity. I took a massive pay cut to do it but had just taken redundancy after mat leave and wanted something simple. An old workmate was the manager so seemed a good option.
Fast forward 6 months. It is just not for me. Not the right job and not the right company. So I've applied for a few jobs.
Last week I was off for 4 days with D&V. It was horrific. Went back yesterday after a good weekend and ended the day throwing up in the bin. Very unlucky to get D&V again. So off again today. I'll go back tomorrow but here's the dilemma. I've been offered 2 interviews for next week. Both good jobs with 50% more money. I made an excuse for the first one but I just don't know what to do about the second. If I hadn't had all this time off for illness I think it would be easier. I am tempted just to be upfront about one with my boss. He knows how much of a pay cut I took and he knows I'm not happy. However I wouldn't say we are friends... Am I stupid to consider just being honest?

BackforGood Tue 08-Nov-16 23:14:16

Of course not.
I would just say you are going for an interview.
Unfortunate you've been off this last few days but not related.
If they are only offering you a year's contract in the first place then they can assume you will be keeping an eye on the jobs market.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Tue 08-Nov-16 23:16:51

Just let them know and ask for the time off, short notice leave.

Good luck flowers

IMissGrannyW Wed 09-Nov-16 00:26:05

it's ALWAYS better to be honest.

You'll feel better about yourself.

Tryingtostayyoung Wed 09-Nov-16 06:20:47

I don't know if it's wrong but I probably wouldn't tell them and would make up an excuse/lie. This is only because I got stung doing this a couple years ago... told the truth as I had a few interviews lined up during working hours, they didn't work out for various reasons and my work started interviewing people for my job (I had no idea) they then gave me notice and I hadn't found anything yet.

Ahickiefromkinickie Wed 09-Nov-16 07:05:05

I really wouldn't tell them. I usually take a half day off for interviews. CAN YOU DO THIS?

It's unfortunate timing but I would just say you have a doctor's appt and offer to come in early / stay late the next day.

Ahickiefromkinickie Wed 09-Nov-16 07:06:17

Sorry for the caps, I added that bit in at the end blush

passingcloud Wed 09-Nov-16 08:11:09

I really wouldn't tell them. Hope you get one of the jobs - but if you don't, you'll be left there with them knowing you don't want to be. It'll colour the day to day, and anytime you need to leave early or call in sick they'll wonder whether it's cos your heart's not in it or you're meeting elsewhere...

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:10:36

Honesty is the best policy! Explain why you have decided this is not a good fit but you are committed to doing the best job you can until you secure/start a new position

19lottie82 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:12:46

Don't tell them you're going for an interview! You might not even get the job.

No harm in a white lie. I'd say you had a follow up doctors apt and use a half days holiday.

Tilliebean Wed 09-Nov-16 19:18:04

Well I did tell them. I would have needed 1.5 days off due to travelling to interviews and my dr is 5 minutes away from the office, which they know. I got told I have to take unpaid leave. I was a bit frustrated as I feel I'm being punished for my honesty but I still think it was the right thing to do. There isn't a lot of money in the place and I think it's right to prepare them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now