To think soup and bread is an adequate dinner?

(206 Posts)
FlapsTie Tue 08-Nov-16 18:17:34

Our shopping turned up late and I'd lost all will to cook. The kids wanted soup (tinned!) and bread. So I've done soup for all. They've had chicken, we've had oxtail. One tin each.

I've also heated up four loaves of frozen bread, the Demi baguette ones.

DH says this isn't a proper dinner and he'll have something else after. I'm stuffed. It's a fuck ton of bread and butter and a whole tin of soup ffs.

Who is BU? Me and the kids, or DH?

TeaBelle Tue 08-Nov-16 18:19:06

Neither - it will fill.some but not others. I would love it but wouldn't want to eat loads of bread so if I was having a day where I had an ounce of self control , I wouldn't eat it

PurplePen Tue 08-Nov-16 18:20:51

Neither.

If your DH is still hungry and wants to make himself something later what's the problem?

Crispbutty Tue 08-Nov-16 18:21:39

My dp wouldn't find that enough food after he's been working all day.

Trifleorbust Tue 08-Nov-16 18:22:07

If he's still hungry then he's still hungry, isn't he? No unreasonable about it.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 08-Nov-16 18:22:21

Neither is unreasonable. Soup and bread is fine for me, DS (12) would probably need yoghurt and a packet of crisps afterwards, DH would be starving. None of us are wrong, we just have different appetites.

Liiinoo Tue 08-Nov-16 18:22:58

I wouldn't think that is a full meal and I am a tiny eater. Tinned soup is mainly water so although it would fill me up (and I couldn't cram in a whole tin) for a short while it wouldn't satisfy me long term. I would want some protein too , maybe some cheese and some sort of fruit or veg.

SweetChickadee Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:15

No way could I eat a whole tin of soup!

PurpleBirch Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:17

Sounds fine to me but DH would probably same the same as yours!

bikerlou Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:43

I would consider that a proper dinner.

RockyBird Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:53

We have homemade soup with crusty bread as a dinner. Being homemade there's plenty of opportunities to go back for seconds.

I'd be happy with tinned soup with or without bread as an evening meal but it wouldn't keep DH going til bedtime.

Pickthatup Tue 08-Nov-16 18:25:02

Why has tinned got an explanation mark, is that an mn thing indicating the horror of non carton / non homemade ?
I had a whole tin of soup for lunch. No bread tho.

FlapsTie Tue 08-Nov-16 18:26:41

Purplepen, there's no problem! We were just debating whether it counts as dinner. DH reckons it's an ok lunch or light supper, but dinner should be more substantial.

He's now having a bowl of breakfast cornflakes so I don't really think he's got a leg to stand on here.

SaltySeaBird Tue 08-Nov-16 18:26:46

I'm not sure a tin of soup would fill me up in the same way a thick home made one does. That is what both DH and I had for dinner last night without bread. Was tasty! I find tinned soup watery and less filling so not sure that would be dinner if I had been busy all day.

FlapsTie Tue 08-Nov-16 18:27:58

Yes I was anticipating judgement on my slackness in serving a tin of water and preservatives grin

Bluntness100 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:29:39

I think saying it's a "whole tin of soup" like that's enormous or something, is maybe a little unreasonable, people do normally eat a tin. Then bagging out on bread isn't so great really,

I would not see this as dinner, more a light supper. I don't see the issue, if he's hungry he's hungry.

BabyGanoush Tue 08-Nov-16 18:30:02

It's not dinner here

Lunch yes

For dinner some carbs+ veg+ protein is required.

That's not a rule of law though grin, just our preference

J0kersSmile Tue 08-Nov-16 18:30:33

My dc love tinned tomato soup and French stick, on days where I do this I usually make a cake/crumble with custard to add more calories and fill them up more.

Scribblegirl Tue 08-Nov-16 18:30:44

I don't know - I make a prawn noodle soup (sort of like a laksa but no coconut milk, more a water based broth) and that totally fills us up of an eve, no one being unreasonable but that would suit me, especially with the bread.

I am still fat though because wine

FlapsTie Tue 08-Nov-16 18:31:10

Tbf DH doesn't think any meal counts as dinner if it doesn't have meat. So I thought oxtail soup would count...

rookiemere Tue 08-Nov-16 18:32:46

Kind of depends what you had for lunch.

If it was a big roast or main meal then YANBU, if it was sandwiches then no I don't think it's a proper meal.

One decent meal and one snack type meal per day is my rule, although DH would happily trough through 2 main meals in a day.

HanYOLO Tue 08-Nov-16 18:33:31

YANBU

It's fine.

If he's still hungry cereal is a perfectly acceptable second course

NavyandWhite Tue 08-Nov-16 18:33:43

Agree with your H but if you're all full up it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things!

oldlaundbooth Tue 08-Nov-16 18:33:51

I don't see the problem.

ThePinkOcelot Tue 08-Nov-16 18:35:47

That would be fine for me and dds but it wouldn't be for DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now