Talk

Advanced search

Ds brings home school toy...wth?

(199 Posts)
witchkat72 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:28:08

Ok new to this so forgive me if on wrong board. My ds who is 4 brings home the nursery toy. The idea is for him to take said toy/puppet out with us until Monday, where I am to take pictures and write a lengthy diary entry of what ds and puppet have done. Problem is so far ds has shown no interest in even going near it/him and has categorically said it /he is not ds' friendconfused what on earth do I do now? Take pictures of said puppet ostracized to corner of sofa? Write that its had a fab time being carted around by me in a duffle bag all weekend and ds has ignored itblush? Wwyd?

viques Tue 08-Nov-16 17:30:13

Maybe the toy will feel a little unwell and have to spend a few days in bed, resting very quietly.

wornoutboots Tue 08-Nov-16 17:32:06

toy meeting your kids' other cuddlies? Having a bath? (aka trip around the washing machine)

Meadows76 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:32:21

I would take it back and say your child wasn't interested. At 4yo it's perfectly acceptable not to take part in something

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Tue 08-Nov-16 17:33:50

My toy spent the whole weekend in the boot of the car once blush

Just make it up...... MN can help!

I'll start: On Tuesday, BoyToy wanted a takeaway, so he ordered Kung Po chicken from the Chinese.... (take photo of animal with takeaway menu)....

Please remember, the whole point of these diaries are to make the parents who come after you have a good laugh!

JellyWitch Tue 08-Nov-16 17:35:24

Just send it back with nothing written. There's no obligation.

catkind Tue 08-Nov-16 17:37:11

Take a picture of toy with one of DS' toys, write "NurseryBunny made friends with HomeTiger [while DS went to xyz]", then DS won't feel left out if he has a change of heart, the [] bit if you're doing something interesting at the weekend so DS also gets to talk about his weekend which is often the aim of the thing.

And all the other parents will bless you for being brief.

If it was my child they'd probably change their minds and decide it's their best friend the next morning, so don't rule out having to cart it around all day after all.

ProbablyMe Tue 08-Nov-16 17:37:37

Either send it back and tell the teacher he wasn't interested or create some kind of toy friendship bench for it?

User1234567891011 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:40:34

I remember having to do this. Just take it back, say he didn't like the toy and you didn't have time take it around everywhere with you and take photos and write a diary while looking after your FOUR year old. What the hell?

Sundance01 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:54:51

Make it up, ignore it and send it back uncompleted, take the photos with the rest of the family.......

Seriously do what you like - its hardly important.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 08-Nov-16 17:57:04

Ha yes, I remember this well. I always felt obliged to take Class Bear to a museum, or somewhere worthy unlike a normal weekend.

Iggi999 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:01:29

I have never had a class bear, but I did have the mumsnet bear for a visit which made me very happy (wonder whatever happened to him?)

Trifleorbust Tue 08-Nov-16 18:01:57

Hardly worth your time if he has no interest - just ignore it and send it back.

OlennasWimple Tue 08-Nov-16 18:03:48

My favourite school bear diary entry was when Daddy lost Mummy's keys down the drain and Bear got to see the fire brigade come and help. It was a masterpiece of barely controlled rage, totally misdirected!

HanYOLO Tue 08-Nov-16 18:06:08

I simply hand said smelly item back to teacher and say no thanks.

TeacherBob Tue 08-Nov-16 18:08:18

Haha I feel for you!

Just write what DS did, but as the puppet has done.

For instance,

On Saturday Bear went for a walk to the shop. He had fish and chips for tea.

Doesn't need to be anything ultra amazing, it is about recount.

Please don't do what someone else suggested and send it back with nothing because the chances are, when the teacher opens it to read with class, DS will be upset he has nothing to share at the regular time.
Teacher will read it 'with' him and he will likely enjoy telling his friends what he did at the weekend (talking from experience)

ThoraGruntwhistle Tue 08-Nov-16 18:09:46

Sit the toy with some of DS's toys, take a photo and say Ted/whoever had a picnic with his new toy friends, but that DS had a personality clash with him.

Greengoddess12 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:09:54

Blimey mine loved having the bloody toy and my childminded kids too.

However if he's up for it he's not. Either white lie or tell the truth.

With our kids dh wrote an alternate weekend and Bear was very very bad.

idontlikealdi Tue 08-Nov-16 18:10:00

Count yourself lucky it's relatively near the start of term and not the germ filled thing it is by the summer. First thing ours did was have a go in the washing machinesmile

SeasonalVag Tue 08-Nov-16 18:13:32

mine was involved in a drumming circle (toys arranged around the bongos), and another time had a teddy bear picnic. it gets quite competitive...sadly...my kids arent remotely interested in that stuff. pose him ona bike or slouched in fromt of the telly with a tinny

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 08-Nov-16 18:14:52

DD had the class bear once in reception. DH took it gritting with him one night and took photos of the bear sitting at the controls of his gritter grin then I took photos of the bear sitting on the sofa with a big bottle of vodka and a glass, then of him lying on the floor with an empty vodka bottle rolling around grin didn't put those in his diary!

HanYOLO Tue 08-Nov-16 18:17:23

Doesn't need to be anything ultra amazing, it is about recount.

This is another reason I don't do it. It is homework for parents. Ergo bollocks.

Please don't do what someone else suggested and send it back with nothing because the chances are, when the teacher opens it to read with class, DS will be upset he has nothing to share at the regular time.

Not if you tell them you are not doing it.

TeacherBob Tue 08-Nov-16 18:18:05

First thing ours did was have a go in the washing machine

I love parents like you!

HanYOLO Tue 08-Nov-16 18:18:12

Most times the bear seems to go to MacDonalds round here.

Drumming circle. Lol.

oldlaundbooth Tue 08-Nov-16 18:18:39

Do nurseries often do this?

They didn't have that in the 80's confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now