Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - work/career issue

(4 Posts)
Darmody Tue 08-Nov-16 13:16:02

About 18 months ago I left a firm I had been at for 14 years to take up a managerial role elsewhere. The new job was a boost in status and a small boost in pay, but the jump in responsibility is way out of proportion to the increased pay.

The company I am at right now is undergoing a major restructure, and due to other managers leaving I have been handed responsibility for areas of business I frankly know little about, and don't have the time or space to learn. The pressures of managing staff have made me very stressed and cost me a lot of sleepless nights (and some of my mental health, if I'm honest), and I'm not confident in the new management. On the plus side my current management have been flexible enough to allow me to work from home for childcare reasons.

The job I left to come here has come back up, and I have been told if I was to go for it I would be taken back. I had frustrations with the previous job, (including some interpersonal stuff) but nothing compared to this, and I feel the job would be less stress and better hours, with less responsibility.

I have two young DCs, one school age one preschool, so I am concerned about the drop in pay if I do go back, and the impact it might have on my career to be 'quitting' a management role.

Any thoughts?

FleurThomas Tue 08-Nov-16 21:35:24

I personally love wfh and will take a job which offers it even if it's stressful. Is there training you can do to get up to speed in your new company? You might be viewing your old company with rose tinted glasses & will prob want to leave again.

QueenLizIII Tue 08-Nov-16 21:37:29

go back.

i wish i could have my old job back.

Darmody Tue 15-Nov-16 17:52:05

I personally love wfh

I find it massively overrated personally - especially when I have DCs to look after too. It certainly saves on commuting, but I usually end up putting in longer days, as I get up at 5.30ish to get some work done before DCs get up, and then work from 8pm and on to make sure everything is getting done.

I'm going to have to make a decision on this soon - the organisation I'm at now is totally dysfunctional and I'm at the end of my tether with everything I have been landed with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now