Talk

Advanced search

Would IBU to issue everyone their own teaspoon?

(42 Posts)
Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Mon 07-Nov-16 22:23:54

Ok so for the second time this year we have no teaspoons, none not a single bloody teaspoon. DH swears it's the DDs they swear it isn't I'm even glaring at the bloody bunny how is this possible ?
So do I buy more and go through this again in 12 weeks or do I issue everyone with their own colour coded spoon and make them do the vow
" this is my teaspoon there are many like it but this one is mine, I will defend and love my teaspoon, I will clean my teaspoon in soapy water and I will never bin my teaspoon after eating a fucking yoghurt."

Any other ideas
Apart from joining them on a rope like mittens

honeysucklejasmine Mon 07-Nov-16 22:25:26

YANBU at all. Ridiculous to throw one away, even if it's an "accident"

LoveMyPatio Mon 07-Nov-16 22:28:22

Chain them to the dining table like those pens in banks...

OP I feel for you. We have similar here. My parents had it worse however - we would spend holidays on the family (fucking tiny, a caravan is spacious in comparison) boat. Washing up with water boiled in a kettle and in a bowl in the cockpit. Every time the washing up water git ditched overboard there would guaranteed be another teaspoon lost to the bottom of the English Channel.... One day, archeologists will wonder at these list teaspoons....

LoveMyPatio Mon 07-Nov-16 22:29:16

Argh typos. You get my drift however, I'm sure.

jeaux90 Mon 07-Nov-16 22:29:54

Are the kids taking them to school in their packed lunches for yoghurts? Then losing them or binning them? I can't fathom this one and it's the only thing I could think of. Maybe the husband is building a life size model of winston Churchill in the attic out of spoons and is going to surprise you grin

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Mon 07-Nov-16 22:30:22

Oh I like that idea, chaining them is a plan grin

TiggyD Mon 07-Nov-16 22:31:00

I've gone long handled. I can't go back to the old style now.

ItsJustNotRight Mon 07-Nov-16 22:32:19

Buy dozens of really cheap ones , I used to do this at work, God knows where they went.

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Mon 07-Nov-16 22:32:51

Jeaux DH surprised me by knowing which drawer they belonged in hmmI think packed lunches may be partly to blame but that's why I buy the reusable picnic ones !! Also fecking gone

ItsJustNotRight Mon 07-Nov-16 22:33:51

... we are always losing potato peelers and small knives, I think they just get chucked put with veg peelings

HardcoreLadyType Mon 07-Nov-16 22:34:58

Have you looked in your DDs' rooms?

ijustwannadance Mon 07-Nov-16 22:35:01

Joblot of plastic ones.
I bought 6 metal teaspoons for 40p in asda. Smartprice range.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Mon 07-Nov-16 22:36:16

Binning them?? I'd go ape if I found any of mine doing this.

How about deducting pocket money to pay for new ones - and keep a couple for your own use, hidden away. If they lose the other new ones, that's their lookout - they'll have to do without or buy new ones themselves.

ferriswheel Mon 07-Nov-16 22:36:52

I am in two minds...

Buy a million and forget about it.

On the other hand, at work, when there are loads of pens they all go missing. When there are hardly any people look after them carefully.

I'd be inclined to have no teaspoons for about a month, then put out one or two and see what happens.

elephantoverthehill Mon 07-Nov-16 22:38:16

I had a new kitchen floor put down in the summer, I found two missing teaspoons under the fridge. Tesco value line teaspoons for packed lunch or calpol spoons.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Mon 07-Nov-16 22:38:42

We have this at work, grown up qualified doctors incapable of not throwing a spoon in the bin with their yogurt.
Or wandering off with them in a soup cup.

Then stand at the kettle looking bewildered when they can't make a coffee without using one of the hundreds of soup spoons we apparently have! Rant over.

llangennith Mon 07-Nov-16 22:40:20

I've gone long handled too. Those tiny teaspoons were invented when we used tiny teacups. No bloody use for a good mug of coffee. (Or for stirring stuff in jugs).
I still buy normal teaspoons...and they still go missing!
I buy six at a time from John Lewis. They don't match the other cutlery exactly but it'll do.

ClinkyMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 23:02:49

Make them eat the yoghurt with their fingers. I ended up buying plastic spoons, more because DS kept leaving his lunch bag in school, particularly over bank holiday weekends and other assorted holidays. Then the spoon would come back to me with some very interesting penicillin colonies growing on it. Oh well, at least it came back!

44PumpLane Mon 07-Nov-16 23:40:19

Nail varnish the handles different colours so everyone in the household gets 2 teaspoons- if you lose yours you pay to replace.
If you're caught using someone else's there is an agreed punishment (loss of wifi for a day, 50p in the Christmas fund tin etc)

IMissGrannyW Mon 07-Nov-16 23:45:36

stop buying yogurts?

Mummyme1987 Tue 08-Nov-16 03:03:30

Straws for yoghurts in packed lunches if they are the smooth ones. Can get hundreds for pennies.

Peanutandphoenix Tue 08-Nov-16 03:27:20

I'm with you OP only mine don't go missing because of kids the fucking cats think they are toys seriously considering chaining my teaspoon to the kitchen side. grin

OzzieFem Tue 08-Nov-16 07:09:20

It's a well known fact that teaspoons disappear. There has even been research articles published. One place found that for every 70 employees they had, they would need to buy 250 teaspoons per year.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051223123246.htm

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Tue 08-Nov-16 07:10:11

44pump I like your thinking, I don't think yoghurts are the only thing to blame here, and they are the frube type so they shouldn't even need a spoonconfusedbut apparently the teacher told them it's massively unhygienic to slurp from the tubeangry--b----loody intelligent people--
So I've slept on it and decided to buy new teaspoons but I shall keep them on me attached to a heavy wooden block, they may borrow a spoon but it has to be returned before anyone else can use it wink

Redglitter Tue 08-Nov-16 07:12:59

I think my tea spoons have grown up and changed into dessert spoons. I've got about 3 teaspoons now and about 100 dessert spoons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now