Talk

Advanced search

To ask for suggestions of what to do on mat leave?

(77 Posts)
mum2Bomg Mon 07-Nov-16 19:04:24

It's my last day at work tomorrow and I'm a bit scared of being bored. Might sound stupid but I do 12hr days and a long commute and I'm worried I might struggle with things to do. Even considering cross stitch! Help!

lauryloo Mon 07-Nov-16 19:10:05

Depends how long you have before baby is due? With my 1st I did lots of batch cooking, and with no 2 I slept!

arethereanyleftatall Mon 07-Nov-16 19:10:15

I loved mat leave with my pfb. Probably the best year of my life. I got a sling, and had loads of lovely long walks with friends. I got a zoo pass. Read lots of books. Watched movies. Enjoy!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 07-Nov-16 19:10:33

Depends what youve got ready already. But as I never had any time before my first arrived and was still at work I'd say
- Rest
- Go to cinema / theatre / see friends
- Go on dates with your other half
- Batch cook easy meals
- Get ready for baby, hospital bag etc
Enjoy it

arethereanyleftatall Mon 07-Nov-16 19:11:25

Oh, did I read wrong - did yo mean before dc is born?

Trifleorbust Mon 07-Nov-16 19:12:35

So far I've done jobs I don't usually have time to do (cupboard under stairs, pantry), I've watched a lot of TV and I am making a start on that novel hmm

Note3 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:14:47

My best advice (other than to do stuff you enjoy and what not) is to do anything you want to get done housewise/organisational. If there's something you wanted to rearrange in a bedroom do it now, if there's something in your garden for the tip then do it now, if you have a couple of tops with holes in mend them now.

The reason I say this is I have 3 DC. Each has had varying levels of neediness as a baby and even with my least neediness I still did not have time or energy to do jobs I'd put off doing from before she arrived and boy oh boy was I kicking myself for watching back to back tv programmes instead of ticking off my job list! I had all the time in the world to watch TV once she was here!

spacefrog35 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:15:05

Before dc arrives: coffee shops, cinema, enjoy 'popping' out without planning it for hours & taking the contents of the house with you, batch cook & do all those little tidying/ organising jobs like filing the bank statements that you won't do once the baby is here!

EveOnline2016 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:15:51

On 1st born I rested and watched DVD, but mummy ankles was double the size and I have zero energy.

On 2nd I had a 3 year old to occupy me.

happypoobum Mon 07-Nov-16 19:16:21

Sleep, sleep and more sleep! Good luck!

DrWhy Mon 07-Nov-16 19:18:13

Before baby, batch cook, clean and tidy house, prepare hospital bag, read, walk, do relaxation exercises.
After baby, feed baby, change baby, try to soothe baby, walk with pram, walk with sling, drink and eat in coffee shops (mainly while feeding baby), change baby again, feed baby again, try to make baby sleep, throw some clothes at the washing machine, feed baby again.

GreatFuckability Mon 07-Nov-16 19:21:29

i''d have a baby.

<amuses oneself>

Muddlingalongalone Mon 07-Nov-16 19:29:58

Assuming you're sorted for baby's arrival
Christmas shopping - online for preference whilst watching a boxset/ reading & associated wrapping etc
If you think you might go once baby arrives go to your local bumps &babes group
Mostly though enjoy the peace & rest a lot.

Strawberrybonbons16 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:30:02

I'd relax, take allllll the lie ins you can and make the most of leaving the house on time and without having to plan the whole trip and enjoy just "popping" into the shops. Wish I'd sorted through all my wardrobes, drawers etc and had a good clear out, cause it just hasn't happened since DD was born 5 months ago grin

mum2Bomg Mon 07-Nov-16 19:33:02

Sorry before DD is here - 3 weeks (it's meant to be anyway)!

mum2Bomg Mon 07-Nov-16 19:35:47

I do have a couple (loads) or drawers full of crap I don't need... All the things for the baby are sorted though. Can't wait to meet her but THREE WEEKS - seems like such a long time!!!!

TataEs Mon 07-Nov-16 19:36:52

nest and nap!
watch a few box sets on netflix.
try and enjoy it. you will not be alone again for quite some time!

mum2Bomg Mon 07-Nov-16 19:39:06

Is it weird that it's making me a bit anxious? I feel a bit like I'm being ungrateful for the time off.

Littledrummergirl Mon 07-Nov-16 19:43:25

Rest, relax, read, listen to music. Leave the house for coffee and cake, meet friends. Have a long soak in the bath.
Enjoy hot meals.
Rest some more. Be very lazy and enjoy it.

puglife15 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:48:50

I didn't get any time off with DC2 and it was a fucking killer.

Agree with sorting out shit in the house - cupboards, drawers, massive clear out of clothes, plus shipping for Christmas and any birthdays coming up in the next few months etc etc. Obviously the more organised non hoarders might not have much to do.

Trifleorbust Mon 07-Nov-16 19:54:01

Try not to worry about filling up the time. You are entitled to it and you need it to rest.

FarAwayHills Mon 07-Nov-16 19:59:52

Batch cook
Shop for and wrap Christmas presents
Clean, declutter and do any admin stuff that needs to be done
Sleep, chill and enjoy me time because it will soon be a distance memory grin

Bin85 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:01:09

Get some cards for thank yous for presents
Get addresses and stamps sorted so you can send them straight away and not much too late and in a muddle like I did!
Organise everything that can be organised
Try to make some friends with people who will have similar aged child , this is probably most important

Terrifiedandregretful Mon 07-Nov-16 20:20:29

I went on lots of long walks and had lots of long naps. Met friends for lunch. Christmas shopping. Explored parts of town I didn't know. Those 5 weeks before dd was born were just bliss.

What saved my sanity after dd was born was the Mad Men box set which made marathon breast feeding almost bearable.

Flisspaps Mon 07-Nov-16 20:22:33

Do nothing, because in a few weeks time doing nothing is going to be a non-existent luxury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now