AIBU not to want to go to this Christening

(13 Posts)
danceswith Mon 07-Nov-16 17:22:50

A young friend is having her baby Christened soon, I'm not religious haven't even had my DCs christened. Just not my thing but feel I should put in an appearance, but very uncomfortable. My friends partner is a traveller, not a problem he's lovely but it is going to be a a big fat gypsy christening (seen all the outfits, cake etc) just like on the the telly. Is it fair to say cant make it and just see her as I normally do and take her a lovely gift. I'm so far out of my comfort zone, not sure what to do. I've very uncomfortable in large groups anyway and will know very few people there apart from the stars of the show.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 07-Nov-16 17:26:04

I think its fine not to go. Christenings are usually more of a family affair imo, I've never been invited to a friend's baby's.

Lottapianos Mon 07-Nov-16 17:28:30

Totally fine to not go. I wouldn't fancy it either.

PurpleDaisies Mon 07-Nov-16 17:31:10

If you don't want to go, that's reason enough not to go.

PurpleDaisies Mon 07-Nov-16 17:34:05

Actually I might have already changed my mind-is it the religious aspect you're unhappy with or just the thought of going alone? If she's a really good friend I'd go alone, sit near the back, say congratulations and leave afterwards. If it's the religious thing, don't go and don't feel bad.

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 07-Nov-16 17:36:30

I don't attend Christenings. I believe the point of them is to welcome the child into the church, so as an atheist I don't see the point in me going. I don't make a song and dance about it, I usually just find an excuse of being busy that day etc, rather than offending the parents.

YABU for judging Travellers based on TV programmes though! I know quite a few (through my work) and they are nothing like god they are portrayed on TV!

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 07-Nov-16 17:37:06

*how not god

danceswith Mon 07-Nov-16 17:46:05

I know the travellers are not like portrayed on TV, that's just the tv programme hyping up as they do with everything, my friend however watches the gypsy programmes all day! I'm uncomfortable with religion, srangers and crowds, so just wondered how to get out of it gracefully

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 07-Nov-16 17:47:18

A sudden case of gastroenteritis is always a good excuse grin

danceswith Mon 07-Nov-16 18:00:03

Maybe that's the best idea. Pineapple milkshake, thanks

44PumpLane Mon 07-Nov-16 18:08:09

A sudden bout of something implies you'd accept the invite then give a last minute cancellation which I don't think is right if there will be some sort of "do" afterwards (as has been the case with all my pals).

I don't enjoy christenings, I'm not religious and to be honest I find them boring, but I go for my friends. We will be having our twins christened as my husband is CoE and religion is important to him- I would have no problem with a friend telling me they couldn't come (and wouldn't need any reason particularly).

It would be lovely of you to meet up another day and provide a gift, I'm sure that would be appreciated.

2014newme Mon 07-Nov-16 18:11:50

Definitely go for the hilarity factor alone. Christening gowns with remote control lights built in etc.

GentleOnMyMind Mon 07-Nov-16 18:43:07

If you don't want to go its fine to decline but do it now, don't say you'll go, knowing full well you have no intention of going. I think that's a bit shitty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now