Talk

Advanced search

For being very angry

(22 Posts)
Borisrules Sun 06-Nov-16 22:21:15

Watching Have I Got News For You tonight and they made reference to an article where they try and "talk down" the judges involved in the recent Brexit decision. (That's right folks-Daily mail ).
One of the judges is described as "openly gay". Yeah I should bloody well hope so. That's exactly what modern society has quite rightly fought for (for all these years).
I mean, really? On another day maybe one was "openly Muslim" or openly wearing a hijab😞

I HATE THIS INTOLERANCE. I really hate it and I'm fearful for this country.

I mean, FFS, as a society we have come so far in making sure that as many people as possible have the right to freedom and equality as possible. Today, when I saw this description in the media it made me f£&king livid. How far backwards are we going?

Please help to stop this. Regardless of how you voted in the referendum. If you hear this kind of nonsense please challenge it.

😞

Sparlklesilverglitter Sun 06-Nov-16 22:26:57

"Openly gay" I think it was the daily mail that said that, what more do you expect from a paper that would have to look up the definition of journalism

If the worst "dirt" a paper can print on you is that your openly gay then they've clearly got nothing on you and are just trying to make a non story

Of course the fact the judge was gay shouldn't even of been mentioned as your sexuality has no bearing on being able to do a good job.

PlayOnWurtz Sun 06-Nov-16 22:29:01

If you get this angry about a descriptive turn of phrase that no more defines a person than their job title and house value (other descriptors the fail loves) how do you feel about major issues like war and famine? How do you cope when a restaurant mucks up your order?

TaterTots Sun 06-Nov-16 22:30:02

I've never understood why public figures who are 'openly gay' are described as such. If they're not openly gay, they're secretly gay - in which case it's not a matter for discussion.

user1478450549 Sun 06-Nov-16 22:33:55

If you get this angry about a descriptive turn of phrase that no more defines a person than their job title and house value

You spectacularly missed the point, didn't you? hmm

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 06-Nov-16 22:38:58

Can you image someone being described as openly heterosexual? I can't.

YANBU.

Borisrules Sun 06-Nov-16 22:39:14

Actually I wouldn't ever give a shiney shit if someone mucked up my restaurant order ... but hey ho!

PlayOnWurtz Sun 06-Nov-16 22:39:26

No I didn't.

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 06-Nov-16 22:52:12

YANBU. I saw this and thought it was appalling. Cant get them for being a closet gay? We'll get them for the next best thing, openly gay. It stinks

wasonthelist Sun 06-Nov-16 22:53:38

If everyone would stop buying the Daily Mail or clicking on the website it would be a start.

Alexandriaaaa Sun 06-Nov-16 22:54:49

I honestly can't believe they're allowed to print shit like that.

I'm not easily shocked, and I'm often eye-rolly when people are offended and outraged about things that don't concern them. But even I was appalled by that.

user1478450549 Sun 06-Nov-16 22:55:24

No I didn't

Yup, you did.

WorraLiberty Sun 06-Nov-16 23:00:46

YANBU OP, there were a few threads about it at the time the Mail printed it.

However, the Daily Mail is still the most widely read newspaper on Mumsnet it seems.

So, many people will not be outraged enough to stop buying it or reading it online.

PlayOnWurtz Sun 06-Nov-16 23:01:37

No I really didn't. You however missed the point of my post

Borisrules Sun 06-Nov-16 23:04:30

Just seen some of the other threads. I'm not a DM reader (which is why it's taken me so long to get to this)
Politics aside, legal judgement aside, terms like this can't be right?
Are we going back to the 1970s?

Hobbes8 Sun 06-Nov-16 23:04:31

It might be scant comfort, but the DM was mocked on Twitter and elsewhere for that "openly gay" headline, and deleted it from their website.

Trifleorbust Sun 06-Nov-16 23:05:28

YANBU. It doesn't matter if he is "openly" gay or secretly gay. A) not news and B) irrelevant to Brexit. Bizarre.

Pumpkintopf Sun 06-Nov-16 23:42:30

Yanbu op, totally agree with you.

IPityThePontipines Sun 06-Nov-16 23:46:56

YANBU OP. Worrying, worrying times.

I agree with the redundancy of the phrase "openly gay" too.

Memoires Mon 07-Nov-16 00:05:40

I hope at least one of the judges was openly female.

KwazyKupcakes Mon 07-Nov-16 00:41:02

To be fair, as JK Rowling posted on her Twitter, if the worst that can be said of you is that you are on openly gay, ex Olympic fencer top judge, you're pretty much winning at life.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 07-Nov-16 00:51:35

I do think the print media that went on the attack have made themselves look silly. They might appeal to a homophobic minority but who on earth finds 'ex-Olympian' offensive? I can't even imagine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now