AIBU to expect a warm meal

(47 Posts)
danceswith Sun 06-Nov-16 18:28:04

I cook 6 days out of 7 and cater for various dietary requirements, sometimes 4 different meals. Aibu on the odd day that someone else cooks to be grateful for food served at varying degrees of temperature , from cool to icy. Even when I've helped with prep and cooking. Is it really too much to ask to have warm food on warm plates.

TotallyOuting Sun 06-Nov-16 18:36:34

I find that if I/others don't cook for a while it's easy to forget the practical things in the kitchen, like timings of when to do what and what order to do things in to produce the least washing up and so on. Can you not cook less often?

ScarletOverkill Sun 06-Nov-16 18:40:12

If you want a warm plate while others aren't bothered I suggest you warm it yourself!

RhiWrites Sun 06-Nov-16 18:42:08

What are they making? Salad? Cheesecake? If not and its just that you like your food piping hot could you microwave it? I doubt people are deliberately serving you cold food.

MouseholeCat Sun 06-Nov-16 18:43:18

So the issue is that whoever is cooking on day 7 is unable to get everything out hot? Or that they are undercooking everything? Or that they don't want to warm the plates? Or that they are cooking you salad?

Difficult to say whether YABU based on details provided.

Bluntness100 Sun 06-Nov-16 18:44:47

I also doubt they are doing it on purpose, and it's nice they take the time to reciprocate. I can see why they don't do it more though.

Summerwood1 Sun 06-Nov-16 18:46:01

😛

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 06-Nov-16 18:46:56

My DH is actually incapable of serving hot food. He is actually a good cook but crap at coordinating. As soon as something is ready he dishes onto the (cold) plates and leaves it to sit getting cold while he faffs with the rest. V annoying!!

DrQuinzel Sun 06-Nov-16 18:51:05

I'll swap, DH incinerates everything as he's terrified of getting food poisoning.

witsender Sun 06-Nov-16 18:52:00

I never heat my plates. Food still tastes cracking though.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Sun 06-Nov-16 19:00:54

Nucky, your DH and mine were clearly in the same cooking lesson, then...

expatinscotland Sun 06-Nov-16 19:02:26

Don't see the point of warming plates. Warm them yourself if you want warm plates.

fraggle84 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:03:06

Ponders how to heat plates confused

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:04:27

In a microwave, in the oven, on top of the veg pan.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 06-Nov-16 19:04:51

My mother is obsessed with warm plates. Fucking obsessed. No one else cares. And she takes forever to eat so her food must be cold most of the time anyway. angry

witsender Sun 06-Nov-16 19:06:20

My mum has a special electric thing to heat her plates.

RobberBride Sun 06-Nov-16 19:06:44

I've always wondered what Jeremy Clarkson's Mumsnet name is, and now I know grin

Sorry OP. Seriously, I only know one person who likes a warm plate. The rest of us eat too fast for the food to get cold.

Buy the ones serving unintentionally icy food cooking lessons for Xmas?

theclick Sun 06-Nov-16 19:07:42

I don't really understand your post, so on the one day they cook they are serving cold food?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 06-Nov-16 19:09:24

My mum is obsessed with hot plates too. You were lucky not to end up with third degree burns in our house if you inadvertently touched your plate at mealtimes.

OP, I would zap the meal in the microwave to warm it up, assuming you're not a guest at a dinner party or something.

Draylon Sun 06-Nov-16 19:12:59

I think the OP, dances means warm food- it seems the food is cold, served on cold plates. I only warm my plates when I'm catering for >4, my family, so the food is warm on plate one by the time I've served plate 8.

Warm food should be within the reach of even a basic cook!

PlumsGalore Sun 06-Nov-16 19:18:59

YANBU, I get you. You spend all week making a selection of meals to please everyone that are hot and delcicous and on the one day someone else cooks it isn't cold and crap.

PlumsGalore Sun 06-Nov-16 19:20:38

Sorry if , I meant it IS cold and crap.

T0ldmywrath Sun 06-Nov-16 19:21:19

I really don't understand putting hot food on a cold plate either. YANBU OP.

danceswith Sun 06-Nov-16 19:22:31

Thanks knew I was being slightly unreasonable, but when OH insists on cooking Steak or sunday lunch as he does it better and it comes out clap cold, it's a waste of time effort and money. Wish I could cook less but OH works long hours, so it's only fair that he has a hot meal on table when he gets home.it's rare someone cooks at home other than me so would just be nice to be able to enjoy it Also know I'm OCD with warm food and plates, childhood memories of congealed indefinable food on plates!maybe on the odd night he does food should be a takeaway 😂

Mum2jenny Sun 06-Nov-16 19:22:46

Don't get the point of warming plates at all. We all eat very fast. I'd be more worried about young children burning themselves on hot plates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now