Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to buy this wedding dress?

(66 Posts)
JammyGem Sat 05-Nov-16 21:09:47

We're getting married next year and I've found my dream dress on Shillas, at a really affordable price. The dress is beautiful and just what I wanted but I'm a bit confused at ordering a wedding dress online.

The reviews on their website about the dress itself are all really positive, and there's quite a few of them. But when I looked for reviews of Shillas as a company, they are overwhelmingly negative.

i'm in a bit of a pickle as it's the perfect dress but now I'm worried that the company are a bit shit.
WIBU to chance it?

PuntasticUsername Sat 05-Nov-16 21:10:36

Don't do it!

Soubriquet Sat 05-Nov-16 21:12:00

Sometimes a risk pays off

I've already said this before but i bought a wedding dress from eBay which came from China

I was bricking it. Really panicking it was going to be rubbish and it was absolutely gorgeous

Smartiepants79 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:14:58

Do you have the luxury of time and money to replace it if it doesn't work out? If so, go for it. If not, think very carefully.
I'd only buy something I'd actually seen.

Ditsy4 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:15:03

If you pay with a credit card won't it be covered? Not sure as I don't buy things on line but visa I think covers you for any problems. Someone else is bound to know.

Ice3 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:21:39

It's got really bad ratings. I wouldn't.

I spent ages looking at wedding dresses this year and the amount of knock offs was shocking.

Ice3 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:23:52

Sorry for the Daily Fail link but it came up in a google

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3571157/Teenage-girl-ordered-dream-120-prom-dress-online-left-devastated-measure-gown-barely-fits.html

tupperwareAARGGH Sat 05-Nov-16 21:37:00

Well I ordered 6 bridesmaids dresses from china and they all fitted beautifully. I know of three other people who ordered dresses and they were all really pleased with them. I'm not saying that some people haven't had bodged ones but if you have the time to replace it if its right then do it.

JammyGem Sat 05-Nov-16 21:51:29

Well the wedding's in May and the dress is exactly what I wanted and only £150, when we originally budgeted £500 for my dress.

I'm thinking I may order it and chance it, and then at least if I don't like it I can sell it on, or if not, it's not a massive disaster financially and there's still time to get another if I need to.

I feel like I'm just talking myself into it because it's my dream dress

Kel1234 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:54:50

Personally I couldn't take the risk of ordering a dress online.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 05-Nov-16 21:57:52

Theres a reason it's only 150 quid though! The stitching, material etc is bound to be crap

MatildaTheCat Sat 05-Nov-16 21:58:29

That sounds fine if you can afford to lose the £150 and you will definitely still have time to get another dress if necessary. My friends dd bought a Chinese dress and it arrived looking shit, a bit grubby and crushed so she took it for professional cleaning and rewrapped it beautifully before the bride ever saw it and she looked a picture.

Please post a link,mwe all love a wedding dress.

JammyGem Sat 05-Nov-16 22:01:04

This is the dress. It does have good reviews! [clutching at straws]

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Sat 05-Nov-16 22:06:34

I really really wouldn't

theclockticksslowly Sat 05-Nov-16 22:07:06

It's a gorgeous dress but is that the actual dress or what their one is meant to look like? People can have good experiences buying online from China - unfortunately I didn't. I bought on the basis of a photo like this, my dream wedding dress. What turned up bared a vaguely passing resemblance to the photo and the fabric was clearly cheap and the dress was poorly made.

It cost just over £100 so I was wary of what was going to arrive and had left plenty of time to get a proper alternative!

So if you can afford a £150 loss to your budget (and are happy with then having only £350 to buy a proper dress should you need to) - and have plenty of time left - then go for it! If not, I wouldn't risk it!

3boys3dogshelp Sat 05-Nov-16 22:07:36

The reviews are awful op! If (when) you order it and it's wrong you're then down to £350 to get a dress and much less time. Could you get a seamstress to copy their design? A friend of mine had her dress made by a seamstress on the local market as she couldnt buy what she wanted from a bridal shop. She had a good idea in her head but couldn't find it. Her dress was beautiful and a bargain.
I wouldn't usually advise copying but in the circumstances I think it might be the only way to get a dress that looks like the photo.

Somerville Sat 05-Nov-16 22:10:14

Look around more, first. There are lots of dresses similar to that in bridal boutiques and available seconds hand. Look for sample sales and the like.

Areyoufree Sat 05-Nov-16 22:14:48

I bought my wedding dress from a Chinese eBay supplier, and it was fabulous. However, it had a bodice with lacing at the back, so could be adjusted to fit. The dress in your link looks like the type that has to fit perfectly, or it will look terrible. Plus the reviews are bad...I wouldn't risk it.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sat 05-Nov-16 22:20:17

But it won't look like that OP. It will be a cheap imitation.

There are hundreds of second hand dresses you could buy or look for a bridal sale. How do you know it's your dream dress? Have you ever actually tried any on? Bridal dresses are very different in real life.

Heirhelp Sat 05-Nov-16 22:28:37

That is/was my wedding dress. I would be suprised if it could be made for £150.

CocoLoco87 Sat 05-Nov-16 22:29:23

That dress is unbelievably gorgeous!! but don't do it. There's no way it will turn up looking like that for £150. That's a £800-£1000 dress

Mistoffelees Sat 05-Nov-16 22:30:03

Not sure if you realise but a reverse image search shows that that is a photo from the designer Mori Lee, possibly from the 2015 collection so you almost certainly wouldn't be getting the design in the photo. If you can find the name/number of the exact dress you'd most likely find it on Preloved or similar, or possibly be able to buy a sample one from the shop.

JammyGem Sat 05-Nov-16 22:30:29

I think you guys are right, I just got a bit swept away.

TBH this whole wedding dress thing is quite stressful for me! I just want to get it over and done with so we can concentrate on other stuff!

PedantPending Sat 05-Nov-16 22:30:36

Why can't you take a picture of the dress to a local dressmaker?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 05-Nov-16 22:36:01

Don't do it OP, please listen to all the logic on this thread!! This is just an image that the dress is loosely based on and it will not be the same dress. If it seems too good to be true then it probably is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now