To stop kidding myself and admit i have a problem

(72 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 05-Nov-16 16:13:16

with alcohol. Have spent the whole day in bed. vomiting and hallucinating.

am so angry and disgusted with myself sad

im not 18 im 46 blush

i drink wine most nights. i don't even enjoy it anymore.

Have any of you been able to just go cold turkey? i am actually scared now

PotteringAlong Sat 05-Nov-16 16:14:29

flowers the first and bravest step is admitting there's a problem and deciding to stop.

Mrsemcgregor Sat 05-Nov-16 16:16:38

Well done OP. It can be dangerous to stop alcohol cold turkey (it can cause seizures). Speak to your GP and good luck flowers

TheoriginalLEM Sat 05-Nov-16 16:16:40

Thankyou - i have been such an idiot

Mrsemcgregor Sat 05-Nov-16 16:17:37

No you haven't. Things have just got out of control and you are smart enough to recognise it and seek help.

gratesnakes Sat 05-Nov-16 16:17:48

My friend sobered up. She used AA. You can do it xxx

YvaineStormhold Sat 05-Nov-16 16:20:13

How much and how often?

Sometimes a hangover leads to The Fear.

But if you're regularly getting really drunk, then you'd be wise to cut down.

Good luck.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 05-Nov-16 16:24:50

ill try without the gp first. i think cold turkey is the wrong choice of words. i have no desire for it just now i can tell you! i have never felt so unwell from drink

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 05-Nov-16 16:52:44

You should be really proud of yourself for admitting you have a drink problem. I have family members with problems but won't curb the habit or admit it. It would be so good for their ds if they could.

Wishing you well with the strength to stop. flowers

queenofthepirates Sat 05-Nov-16 16:53:20

Don't be daft, ask for proper help from your GP or AA.

user1474627704 Sat 05-Nov-16 16:56:02

It can be dangerous to stop alcohol cold turkey (it can cause seizures)

I wish people would stop spouting this. It's rare, doesn't fit the pattern for the people posting about drinking too much wine on MN, and is dangerous as advice as you are telling people to NOT stop drinking.

ByeByeLilSebastian Sat 05-Nov-16 16:56:51

Dint go cold turkey op. Very dangerous.
Have you got a nice gp you can go to? tthey can be very supportive. There's lots of support here too with brave babe's (cutting down alcohol) and the Dry thread (stopping completely).

Well done on acknowledging it, that can be the hardest step! Sounds like it's turned in to a nasty habit for you.

walkerandtexasranger Sat 05-Nov-16 16:57:07

There is a thread called 'somewhere safe' in relationships that me and a few others are on. We are in varying stages of going sober. (Day 6 for me) I have drunk every day for the past 15 years barring my pregnancy. It can be done. Come over and say hi.

ByeByeLilSebastian Sat 05-Nov-16 16:57:51

User it is dangerous for someone who drinks most nights.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 05-Nov-16 16:58:23

For now, stop beating yourself up' Original and concentrate on getting yourself well. Try to drink lots of fluids and rest. brew

Good luck with cutting down or quitting, this may be your epiphany to turning things around. Your GP will definitely be able to advise if you need support.

Mindtrope Sat 05-Nov-16 17:01:41

user- sorry but I disgaree.

For heavy prolonged drinkers going cold turkey can be dangerous.

user1474627704 Sat 05-Nov-16 17:04:22

User it is dangerous for someone who drinks most nights

No, for the very very vast majority it is not. And stop giving medical advice online hmm

UncontrolledImmigrant Sat 05-Nov-16 17:05:23

LEM I've seen you on loads of threads and you always seem lovely

I have had my own struggles with things, I have nothing but empathy and kindness for you

flowers

iminshock Sat 05-Nov-16 17:05:40

Your GP might inform the DVLA.
Avoid if you can do it yourself
Good luck with giving up / reducing

EveOnline2016 Sat 05-Nov-16 17:05:56

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/2756292-Brave-Babes-braving-the-Autumn

I think this is the thread for you.

Got to admit giving up drinking you will get bored in the evening, so you need to change your routine.

I found getting some really nice soft drinks and talking online or playing computer games eased with the boredom.

I still drink but not to the point that I can't function the next day.

iminshock Sat 05-Nov-16 17:06:25

And what user said.

iminshock Sat 05-Nov-16 17:07:14

How much and how often ?

ByeByeLilSebastian Sat 05-Nov-16 17:07:46

I would be very surprised if your gp informed the dvla, unless you go in there boasting about how you love to drink and drive.

Monkeyface26 Sat 05-Nov-16 17:13:41

Perhaps check out soberistas.com website. I don't think I have a healthy relationship with alcohol but I am not an alcoholic. I find the soberistas site to be useful/supportive/inspiring etc.
Good luck op.

ashtrayheart Sat 05-Nov-16 17:14:02

I went from over 100 units a week to stopping. I started with sober October and still going, am determined I will never drink again. As for stopping suddenly being dangerous, are you likely to drink tonight? i personally don't agree that for 'every night drinkers' as opposed to all day every day drinkers it's dangerous but yes see gp if any doubt. I used AVRT (and always will) and a site called sober recovery. If you google AVRT alcohol recovery you will get info. Take care x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now