Talk

Advanced search

To feel a little anxious?

(5 Posts)
tinkywinkyslover Sat 05-Nov-16 14:29:52

Friends close to me sold their house abroad and had their funds stolen as their solicitor (in another country) got an email saying that my friends' account details had changed. My friends didn't get the money and are now fighting to get it back.

I am completing on my house soon and I'm worried this will happen to me or someone in my chain and the move won't go ahead.

Please allay my fears!!! Is this common in the U.K. or are solicitors quite clued up on this?? In the country where it happened to my friends apparently it's rife.

tinkywinkyslover Sat 05-Nov-16 15:33:04

If no one responds I guess it means I don't need to worry. Are there any conveyances here?

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 05-Nov-16 15:57:34

Just tell your lawyers that if they receive any emails from you (allegedly) that suggest the money should go anywhere other than you have already instructed then they must contact you by phone to confirm. Will money not just go straight toward another house purchase.

WLF46 Sat 05-Nov-16 16:08:59

I don't think you need to worry, but put your details in writing and inform solicitors that they have to speak to you in person before they change them. I am surprised that their solicitor just accepted an email as confirmation of the change given the (presumably) large sum involved.

In the case you mention it is the solicitor's error so I am surprised that they are struggling to get the money. Laws are different around the world of course, but in the UK I can't see the solicitor having much of a defence - unless it was a co-owner / signatory / seller of a jointly-owned property who had lawful authority to change the payment details.

tinkywinkyslover Sat 05-Nov-16 16:41:51

My buyer is a cash buyer, so a lot of money there. But I can't exactly contact the buyers solicitor and ask them what they do to safeguard against fraud Can I? I don't want to rock the boat at the last minute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now