Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about this confused rabbit?

(56 Posts)
ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 10:44:05

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here, and need to consult the sensible MN heads (poems also welcome).

So I have always struggled for money (plays tiny violin) but decided I wanted to buy myself an original painting by an artist I love. I don't really buy myself "fun" stuff much, but I saved hard for a year, kept checking his website and finally found The One. Bought it, much excitement. Then it arrived damaged (devastated) and they said they couldn't repair it, but the artist very kindly offered to paint a new one.

They've now sent me a picture of the new one and its beautiful (and I so appreciate them going to these lengths) - but there's something wrong with it. I've attached the original and the new one, and in the new one, the rabbit is...kind of not pointing at anything when in the original he's pointing at the heart, which is supposed to be a gift for the other rabbit. (God I sound stupid but it doesn't "make sense" and it's bothering me.)

Maybe I just need a virtual telling off for being fussy, but...AIBU to be a bit upset that my big treat for myself isn't quite right? I need to let them know if I'm taking it ASAP, it cost a lot (for me anyway) and when I asked my friend he put his head on one side and said "hmmm" which really didn't help. grin

fairgame84 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:48:51

YANBU
That would bother me as well.
What is wrong with the first one?

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 10:52:52

Thanks for replying FairGame smile The first one must have got damaged during delivery - there was a hole punched right through the cardboard and bubble wrap, and it had sort of punched into the back of the painting and made a raised lump. The paint has noticeably cracked around it. You can sort of make out a white line (above the heart) running vertically down - doesn't look so bad there but unfortunately it looks a lot worse in reality. I would have been happy with a patch job but the artist said you'd always know the damage was there.

fairgame84 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:55:44

That's a real shame. I spent 3 years searching for 'the one' piece of art so I can understand how disappointed you are.

PigPigTrotters Sat 05-Nov-16 10:57:36

Its pointing at a one eyed smiley face in the tree trunk.

PigPigTrotters Sat 05-Nov-16 10:59:09

That looks a little bit like a dog if the branches are ears.
The big rabbit is saying "look, forget the moon and the heart, there's a dog's face in that tree"

PigPigTrotters Sat 05-Nov-16 11:00:17

In the original there is no dog face, so the rabbit has to point at the heart instead.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:02:08

Thanks FairGame smile I feel pretty bad that I'm considering not taking it after he's gone to so much effort, but I'm also a bit surprised that he felt it was OK like that.

PigPig, I can't unsee that grin

SuePerkins Sat 05-Nov-16 11:02:31

Yes, the second one is no where near as nice. The scale is off compared to the sizes in the first one and the colours are not as nice.

Katisha Sat 05-Nov-16 11:05:04

I think the artists needs to know what attracted you to the original and how that is missing from the replacement.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:11:34

I'm relieved you haven't all called me a muppet, thanks everyone grin

Katisha, I can't ask him to paint it again (can I?) - I would never have thought to ask once if he hadn't offered. Plus I was a bit worried that he might not exactly put his heart (heh) into it on the second attempt, and it looks like I may have been right to worry sad so a third attempt might end up looking like a couple of stick-bunnies under a daisy. shock

Katisha Sat 05-Nov-16 11:21:20

Will he refund you if you don't take the new one?

SaagMasala Sat 05-Nov-16 11:24:48

I really like that first picture, but the second does absolutely nothing for me. (I think its the colour palette rather than the actual placement of the rabbits etc.)

I don't know how much money you are talking about, but I would be inclined to keep the first picture and not have a replacement. Was it insured during transit - can the artist claim for the loss of value due to the damage?

You say the artist said it can't be repaired properly, but has he actually seen it? As long as the damaged area doesn't jump out & hit you so much that it detracts from the picture itself, personally I could live with it, even if you can see it close up.

haveacupoftea Sat 05-Nov-16 11:26:01

If it were me I think I would grow to treasure the second one due to its little imperfections smile but if you aren't happy with it, don't keep it.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:29:13

I don't see why he wouldn't - they have a 30 day returns policy if you're unhappy...which sadly I think I am.

At least I can save the money for the next The One.

Theselittlelightsofmineshine Sat 05-Nov-16 11:30:52

Can you send me the artists details please OP.

The second pic does not make it clear what the rabbit it actually pointing at.

IamaBluebird Sat 05-Nov-16 11:31:00

I actually prefer the second one. Not even sure why. It's very nice Op. smile

ThePeoplesChamp Sat 05-Nov-16 11:32:49

No, I dont think you can ask him to paint it again!

He has a living to make like anyone else, it's not like the 2nd painting is low quality, and in fairness it was not absolutely his fault that the first one was damaged, just one of those things. He probably could made it more awkward and have tried to of said for you to take it up with delivery and have you chasing your tail with no painting while it was all sorted. I would accept it as the goodwill gesture it really is.

Hillbilly71 Sat 05-Nov-16 11:32:59

Don't keep the second one. The first - as someone else suggested, see if you can live with it for some money off. Else send both back and keep looking. Remember your aim is to buy something to treasure - you haven't got that with the second painting, in fact the opposite.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:34:08

Sorry Tea and Masala, cross post smile

I'm far more inclined to make do with the original (which I absolutely loved) than to take the second one that bugs me when I look at it - it's more than a little imperfection to me, which is sort of why I came here to ask if I was BU. I considered keeping the original anyway when I thought it was either that or a refund, because I liked it so much.

But then I also think, maybe I shouldn't accept a damaged or lesser painting at all. I wouldn't have bought a damaged one if I was starting from scratch now.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:36:36

PeoplesChamp, I wouldn't ask him to redo it. I was bowled over when he offered once smile Even if I felt it was reasonable to ask, I don't think he would enjoy the process and feel it would show.

ConfusedRabbit Sat 05-Nov-16 11:38:47

...and I really do appreciate how kind he was, but it's going to be years before I can afford another painting and I really want it to be right. I don't think he'll struggle to resell it if I don't take it - in fact if I keep the original he can make some money off the damaged one and sell the new one at full price.

QuimReaper Sat 05-Nov-16 11:40:13

The second one is completely different. I can see why you're disappointed and it's a really tricky situation.

I think I would just come clean - return the second one and send a note thanking him for taking the time but pointing out the differences and just explain that it was a big investment for you and the first one had totally Stolen your heart. Ask for a partial refund and to keep the damaged original, and use the difference to get it professionally restored. I'm sure he's right that it won't be perfect but I'm sure it can be much improved.

He can sell on the do-over, then he won't be out of pocket for any of his work.

QuimReaper Sat 05-Nov-16 11:41:09

Cross-post!

gratefully Sat 05-Nov-16 11:51:42

Ca you sell them and buy something else with the proceeds?

Can I ask how much you paid? I might buy one off you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now