Talk

Advanced search

Doctor being difficult over medical records request

(4 Posts)
WhereHas1999DissappearedToo Sat 05-Nov-16 04:27:11

DD emailed her doctors clinic asking for a complete summary of her medical records in relation to physiotherapy she is undergoing, her GP has since emailed back saying that normally the Physio asks for the specific notes to the GP. The Physio only mentioned a few things about injury which is what we believe are related to prior medical issues DD had during the very late 1990s and early 2000s when she was an infant. (Plus we want to see if anything else has been noted over the years).

AIBU in thinking the GP should just oblige giving DD her medical records without DD having to explain why she has requested them herself, after all she is legally entitled to them.

I fear they may not have them not record and they are trying to buy time.

Rulerruler Sat 05-Nov-16 04:46:58

You'd be better to contact the practice manager. There will possibly be a fee involved for providing them if the request comes from you (as opposed to another medical practitioner). There will probably be a lot of work involved in copying everything - much of which will be totally irrelevant TBH. I can see where the GP is coming from - sorry!

HappyCamel Sat 05-Nov-16 05:06:22

GP is unlikely (and not obliged) to provide a summary or work out which notes are related to physio. There might be liability issues if your interpretation of relevance was different to theirs.

You can do a Subject Access Request for a fee (I think £10) and get a copy of everything.

Sosidges Sat 05-Nov-16 09:06:59

I am undergoing similar. Your Dd has to ask for the records and they should give it to her. Then she can pass it on to her physio. My GP was happy to oblige, the receptionist printed it and gave it straight away. They will not give it to a 3rd party, even if you request it, in case there is info on there that you may have forgotten and want to keep private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now