Talk

Advanced search

to be upset about this?

(5 Posts)
cinderbunny Sat 05-Nov-16 00:52:32

I started a grad scheme in late August and as part of it have recently had to complete some tough exams. I took four in three days, along with a few others, and was required to come into work the day after. I am not one for sick days but vomited several times the morning/day after and woke up with a banging headache. I think it was the combination of a prolonged lack of sleep, the stress and anxiety, and not looking after myself during the exams; I had not drunk to celebrate after the exam and came home that day to have an early night; anyway it culminated in me taking a day off sick.

On coming back to work however I have detected a vibe that some people maybe think I was hungover and couldn't be bothered to come into work that day - this really was not the case! I informed my manager about my absence, who accepted it, however the next day he came over and didn't enquire at all about how I felt - it probably didn't help that by this point I was well rested and felt significantly better... I am really paranoid and anxious about it :s

FleurThomas Sat 05-Nov-16 00:55:19

Sometimes in high pressured corporate environments it's often a good idea to come in sick once in your company, pass out/vomit all over your desk, and then be sent home. Managers will never doubt your story again & you will also be encouraged to go home if you look a little peaky.

Eevee77 Sat 05-Nov-16 00:55:47

Forget about it and move on. Too can't change their minds and I wouldn't stress over one day.

FleurThomas Sat 05-Nov-16 00:55:52

*Once during your tenure at the company

GnomeDePlume Sat 05-Nov-16 04:07:48

You are over thinking this. You are new to the workplace. Most line managers arent really that interested in the details of someone being off sick for a day. The assumption would be that you had some sort of bug. I would be glad you hadnt brought it into the work place and I certainly wouldnt want to know your ghastly symptoms!

The most you would get out of me would be a 'feeling better?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now