Talk

Advanced search

To want to get a new birth certificate for DS?

(38 Posts)
user1471519931 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:07:51

After DS was born, we duly took him to be registered, but I wasn't thinking straight and instead of going to the central office (in the middle of the city), we went to a smaller office in a suburb (with a bad rep but it's not all bad). Now on his birth certificate, it say born in [name of suburb, name of capital city]... AIBU to want to get it changed to just state the name of the city...?

Bringmewineandcake Fri 04-Nov-16 17:13:37

How old is he? And are you sure it would actually be changed if you did do this? Otherwise if it bothers you then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Decanter Fri 04-Nov-16 17:14:55

Surely you're born where you're born? In that the location of birth doesn't change regardless of where you register the birth confused

lokivonpoki Fri 04-Nov-16 17:15:21

Honestly?

Yes yabu. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to anything in life where it says you were born on a birth certificate.

Although I can't understand why it says he was born there if he wasn't confused

KayTee87 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:15:45

Am i missing something? Why does it matter? I thought they all said the name of hospital they were born in ( unless home birth).

Groovee Fri 04-Nov-16 17:15:52

Is place of birth where they are born?

AndNowItsSeven Fri 04-Nov-16 17:16:52

Its the suburb he was born innot the place of registration that makes the difference.

NerrSnerr Fri 04-Nov-16 17:17:48

I think YABU, does it really matter. It reminds me of when I lived in Cirencester and I was chatting to the man installing our TV and he had just had a baby. He told us they decided to have the baby in Cheltenham even though Swindon had a better reputation because he didn't want his child to have Swindon on the birth certificate.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 04-Nov-16 17:18:31

The place of birth is taken from doctors/midwives/hospital records isn't it? So if he was born in Suburb it will say Suburb no matter where you register him.

SavoyCabbage Fri 04-Nov-16 17:20:02

I don't understand. In the place of birth it says 'bad-suburb, Birmingham' because that's where he was registered? But he wasn't born there he was just born in Birmingham?

user1471519931 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:26:10

Okay, sorry to drip-feed, but I'm in Scotland, so maybe different rules apply? Baby was born in the main hospital and there are several offices around the city where you can register the birth... if I'd gone to the main office it would just say "city's name"....however, because we went along to a smaller office in a bad suburb but that is closer to our home, but not even where we live... it says name of dodgy suburb as well... I know it's a bit ridiculous but we have no affiliation with this place and it is infamous for its bad reputation...

Decanter Fri 04-Nov-16 17:29:46

I'm in Scotland too. As my earlier post says, the location of the birth (hospital, I presume) doesn't change regardless of where the birth is registered.

GreatFuckability Fri 04-Nov-16 17:34:05

Why do you even care??

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Fri 04-Nov-16 17:35:29

YANBU, it could be very important to him in later life

Soubriquet Fri 04-Nov-16 17:37:20

Eh?

It doesn't matter where you register

Both of my children were born in different counties

Their BC still say the county in which they were born

SavoyCabbage Fri 04-Nov-16 17:40:33

So is he listed as being born in a suburb he wasn't born in?

user1471519931 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:42:01

Well it says born in X hospital, registered in dodgy, suburb, city...

Squirmy65ghyg Fri 04-Nov-16 17:44:18

How could it be important?

guinnessguzzler Fri 04-Nov-16 17:44:32

There's plenty of proud Hibees would be delighted to have Leith on their birth certificate. Why not offer it up for auction?! grin

GruochMacAlpin Fri 04-Nov-16 17:46:16

I'm not sure that's right. I'm Scottish and our DC were born in X city but registered in Y town (where we live) birth certificate still says X city.

Why not go to your local registrar and check.

I'm not sure why it would matter in later life really? Who cares where you were born?

LongtimeLurkerNowPokemonHunter Fri 04-Nov-16 17:47:12

I kinda see your point OP I'm also in Scotland

Was ill as a baby and 10 weeks premature. I was born in a large city, not our local hospital or even the two large maternity units between us and the city.

When I was ready to be registered, my dad travelled from the city to my hometown to register me. It still states the city as my place of birth, but has the registration in my hometown and county. He wanted the connection to my county, despite me not being born there.

Now, the only reason I know this is that he told me it's why I was registered there. It's a cute story to me, and I can imagine his local connection meant this was important for him. However, it has no relevance to anyone else. I've only ever been asked for "county of registration" on stupid disclosure/pvg forms.

Your choice, but as someone who has a "different" location I could bet my mortgage on not a single colleague or friend knowing or caring where I was registered.

Groovee Fri 04-Nov-16 17:48:09

I had both my children in Livingston but Registered them in Edinburgh and place of birth is Livingston while the registry office is just the Edinburgh one. Nothing snobby about it but I didn't have a clue where the registry office was when they were born but knew where I needed to go in Edinburgh.

VanillaSpiceCandle Fri 04-Nov-16 17:48:45

I really don't think it matters. I think the only time I've used my birth certificate is to get my first passport so unlikely that anyone apart from you and the passport office will see it anyway.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 04-Nov-16 17:49:35

So it's the registration district shown rather than his actual place of birth that's the problem because you think people will think he lived there?

But that presumes all sorts of things about the small number of people who will read his birth certificate over his life. Most people don't know your city well and most people will read the city not the suburb and the suburb may change its reputation. Think of somewhere like Clapham. Fifty years ago it was a cheaper bit of London that trendy young things were moving into.

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 04-Nov-16 18:04:14

Just looking at ds2's birth certificate and had to look hard for the bit that says where the birth was registered the where born bit has my old home address because that's where he was born.
Really it doesn't matter. The only time I've ever been asked where my birth was actually registered was when I applied for student loans I honestly don't think anyone else has ever noticed or cared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now