Talk

Advanced search

To quote posters in my replies?

(102 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1478257085 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:31:15

Is there some sort of particular MN etiquette surrounding quotes on this forum?

The reason I ask is because I've been merrily quoting away and twice in about 15 minutes I've been asked if I'm doing this for fun or what's this childish repeating nonsense.

I am utterly perplexed. One of the people asking had already quoted several previous posters including me!

The way I've been quoting is to bold the quote. Should I be using " " or italics instead? I have seen all three being used with impunity here, so I am really not sure what has gone wrong in my case confused

It would be good to know what the etiquette is or even drop quotes altogether, though my reason for using them was because I thought it helped establish who was replying to whom.

When in Rome and all that.....

(I suspect this will be consider a TAAT and won't last long - that IS one rule of etiquette I am aware of. However, it may last long enough to find out what the heck is going on, at least smile )

WorraLiberty Fri 04-Nov-16 16:34:34

YANBU

I read that earlier and assumed I'd missed something.

Unless your name is causing confusion and they thought you'd quoted them from the same post more than once maybe?

User names with numbers all tend to look like the same poster to most of us if that makes sense?

Otherwise it's a case of fuckedifiknow grin

itsmine Fri 04-Nov-16 16:37:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1478257085 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:37:31

LOL smile

Thanks, *Worra"

Yes, I think there may be something in your theory. Numbers are just a jumble to me, so it's quite possible I am being mixed up with someone else. I'll try a name change - it surely can't hurt!

user1478257085 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:38:46

Thanks, itsmine

It's good to know I haven't made some terrible faux pas. I don't mean to come across as rude or anything.

RichardBucket Fri 04-Nov-16 16:38:48

YANBU. Like itsmine said, it's much more annoying when someone references something a poster said on a different page of the thread, but doesn't repeat the post.

TheNaze73 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:42:27

YANBU, I think if you are agreeing with someone above, in a thread, it's good to Friday reference to specify

Arfarfanarf Fri 04-Nov-16 16:43:15

ah, fuck it. No matter what you do, someone will moan.

including me. Star whinger up there with the best of them grin

There's nothing wrong with showing what you're responding to. Alternatively you could bold their name so they know it's them you're talking to. and anyone who's interested could scroll up and see what they wrote.

skilledintheartofnothing Fri 04-Nov-16 16:44:23

I like it when people do this, saves me scrolling back too trying to figure out who they are replying to

DixieWishbone Fri 04-Nov-16 16:47:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

legotits Fri 04-Nov-16 16:48:30

Quoting posts and the poster is ok if it's relevant.

I try and rtft so rereading a block of text requoted by the first ten replies can be a ball ache.

Addressing the poster by name is a very civilised bit of mnet I miss on other sites.

NavyandWhite Fri 04-Nov-16 16:52:07

That's strange. Were you quoting out of context or anything?

Soubriquet Fri 04-Nov-16 16:53:28

I would say it comes down to your user name..

user1478257085 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:56:46

This is all very helpful, thank you.

NavyandWhite I don't believe I was. I've re-read and don't think so.

NavyandWhite Fri 04-Nov-16 16:57:09

I read something once about bolding a posters name was arse licking shock

legotits Fri 04-Nov-16 16:58:23

Navy yes, yes it is. wink

SuperManStoleMyPants Fri 04-Nov-16 16:59:02

I was thinking username too.

WorraLiberty Fri 04-Nov-16 17:00:06

Change your name to BoldMumsnetter grin

NavyandWhite Fri 04-Nov-16 17:01:20

I don't bold due to lazyness unless I really want someone to read one of my posts and then I will.

NavyandWhite Fri 04-Nov-16 17:01:47

Laziness shock

PurpleDaisies Fri 04-Nov-16 17:02:18

How strange-on a fast moving thread it's pretty much the only way to make it obvious what you're replying to.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 04-Nov-16 17:04:48

No you have done nothing wrong. smile

I saw that post and I have no idea as to what they are on about tbh.

PurpleDaisies Fri 04-Nov-16 17:06:39

Just looked at the thread and I don't get it either, especially since it appears that the poster complaining you were quoting them had quoted other posters in their own posts. Really odd. That's mumsnet for you-you occasionally piss off people for no good reason at all. I wouldn't give it any more thought.

Arfarfanarf Fri 04-Nov-16 17:09:05

I went in search of that too.

fucking nuts

the OP was quoting merrily

suddenly you are wrong for quoting?

I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

but yes, change your name to something less anonymous. Otherwise every time a userblahblahblah is a dick, you'll get it in the neck too grin

grizzlybloomers Fri 04-Nov-16 17:09:12

My new username!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now