Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Or is the Daily Mail front web page getting worse?

(36 Posts)
Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 09:38:31

I read the Daily Mail because it's a good gauge for the political development (at least with the Tories) in Britain but I find myself almost incapable of even opening the front web page now. They were bad but bearable before but right know it's like watching a rabid spitting cobra on speed.
The amount of xenophobia, prejudice and scaremongering more than doubled in the previous week and you can almost see poison dripping from the screen. At this pace they could be BNP's posher version any time soon.

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Nov-16 09:42:15

I agree, in fact I actually commented to my husband this morning that they were well out of line, they have an article about the three judges thinking they know better than the general public on brexit when clearly the judges simply ruled on the legalities of an exit process.

The headlines and articles are hugely misleading and verging on hysterical. It's getting worse, a complete lack of journalistic integrity. We all know the media doesn't always report factually , but it's not often so transparently bad that you read an article and think "that's total bullshit and misleading the public" .

Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 10:04:48

The headlines and articles are hugely misleading and verging on hysterical. It's getting worse, a complete lack of journalistic integrity.

Today's headlines are like the worst witch hunt ever. Awful.

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Nov-16 10:07:16

Yes, that was my exact thought, co incedentally, I looked at the headlines and then just closed it down.

TaraCarter Fri 04-Nov-16 10:08:12

I nearly exploded when I saw the hard copy of the DM in the supermarket just now.

May should never have tried to skip over parliament in the first place!

icanteven Fri 04-Nov-16 11:14:52

But that's crazy! The judges aren't triggering a constitutional crisis, the government is.

ZaraW Fri 04-Nov-16 12:09:13

It's always been vile haven't looked at it for years. I find it depressing so many people read it.

WorraLiberty Fri 04-Nov-16 12:17:50

Why do so many Daily Mail readers complain about the Daily Mail?

I genuinely don't get it.

I know it tends to be the newspaper of choice for a large amount of Mumsnetters, but still the amount of people reading it, only to complain about it seems disproportionate.

I've yet to see anywhere near the same amount of Sun readers (for example), starting threads about their choice of tabloid.

Just stop funding it. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for elsewhere.

Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 12:18:45

But that's crazy! The judges aren't triggering a constitutional crisis, the government is.

They can't even trigger a constitutional crisis because there is no constitution. Hence there's nowhere written that a referendum has a legal standing. The judges did the right thing.

Notso Fri 04-Nov-16 12:28:19

What WorraLiberty said.

GrinchyMcGrincherson Fri 04-Nov-16 12:35:46

Daily mail is a disgrace to journalism and always has been. I don't read it but I saw the headlines pulled out (the BBC helpfully round up headlines) this just shows them for the total fuckwits they are.

If people channelled their outrage properly and stopped reading the bloody thing (like a LOT of us did with the Sun) the world would be a better place.

PortiaCastis Fri 04-Nov-16 12:40:30

Why read the Daily Mail and then come on here to comment on it. Do they have a comments section you could use ?

Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 12:45:58

Why read the Daily Mail and then come on here to comment on it. Do they have a comments section you could use ?

I think you will soon find out that Daily Mail is good at filtering comments they don't appreciate.

As for funding - I read Daily Mail because I found that their comments are extremely good at indicating which direction the Tory government will go. It's actually spookily precise. And if you open their webpage today, you will be scared.

Twixandlatte Fri 04-Nov-16 12:46:39

Their current obsession with Prince Harry and his new girlfriend because she is shock horror not white is amazing in 2017. Bigots but what shocks me is the amount of people that resonate with their opinions it's a good reality check for me living in a metropolitan area that people have these views (in case any one asks me why I bother to go on there).

Twixandlatte Fri 04-Nov-16 12:48:47

I think a lot of people complain about the internet site rather than the physical newspaper as it is easily accessible in comparison to other news websites and you can gauge public opinion through the comment section which is a bit more advanced in comparison to its competitors.

ego147 Fri 04-Nov-16 12:50:43

and you can gauge public opinion through the comment section

Gauge the opinion of certain members of the public, you mean grin

Or does the most green arrowed comments truly reflect the "great British public"

MuseumOfCurry Fri 04-Nov-16 12:52:44

OP, does it bother you to know that the DM must surely profit from MN's obsession with it? I had never heard of the DM before I came to MN. I'm forrin.

userformallyknownasuser1475360 Fri 04-Nov-16 12:53:04

Op you spelt Andrex wrong

ZaraW Fri 04-Nov-16 12:56:52

Loving how people are justifying their reasons for reading it.

MaliceInWonderland78 Fri 04-Nov-16 13:01:22

My STBXW reads the Mail Online. From what I can gather it's one of the most widely 'read' sites in the English speaking world (I think).

Regardless of what people think, it's obviously very popular. There's something about the layout and content that appeals I suppose.

If I'm honest, I do like the fact that it seems to exorcise some of the posters on here though.

MuseumOfCurry Fri 04-Nov-16 13:17:12

To remain abreast of how crude the plebs are.

Twixandlatte Fri 04-Nov-16 13:23:45

Didn't mean the vast majority but there is a significant amount of people who support their views it worries me tbh. Since all of these anti-pc articles are getting liked and shared I feel there is more confidence amongst people to be brass and rude in real life. Until a couple of years ago I never had experienced proper racism, I have been called a gollywog and told to go back to my own country and I feel websites like daily mail help give these sort of people confidence to do so. I don't want to be ignorant to a significant portion of society so definitely cath up with it once in a while as well as other news sites too.

Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 13:39:22

I'm by no means justifying it and trying to excuse it. Yes, I read it. It's one of the most read newspapers in the English speaking world, it reflects the opinion of a significant part of society. Just like I read the Guardian, The Times, The Independent. I want to be informed, not selectively read what I like and agree with.
I read the Bible and I'm not Christian.
I read the Quran and I'm not a Muslim.
I simply wanted to know what's written there. I apply the same logic to newspapers I read.

Clandestino Fri 04-Nov-16 13:46:52

OP, does it bother you to know that the DM must surely profit from MN's obsession with it? I had never heard of the DM before I came to MN. I'm forrin.

I'd heard of Daily Mail before I ever heard about MN. It took me some time on MN to realise that some people on MN are obsessed with DM (just like DM seems to be obsessed with MN). It doesn't bother me.

ZaraW Fri 04-Nov-16 13:52:01

Clandestino don't complain about it getting worse you have a choice not to read it. I'll stick to my opinion it's vile and not worth looking at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now