Talk

Advanced search

To Have a day off work and go aWol?

(43 Posts)
clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:27:10

I have a flexi day I have to take off between now and next week. So no reason to cover school holidays or stuff like that.

I am planning on meeting a friend for dinner but have the whole day to myself. Aibu not to tell dh or family that I have the day off and to just spend it on my own?

I will be in London, have posted on chat for ideas of stuff to do but no response.

WipsGlitter Thu 03-Nov-16 21:29:08

I took a day off last week and went to a spa and out for lunch by myself. Was lovely

altiara Thu 03-Nov-16 21:30:36

Do it YANBU smile
My ideas: Shopping
Museums
Afternoon tea
Walking around a park
Lying in bed
Going to the cinema
Watching a musical

Hotwaterbottle1 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:32:52

I did this for 2 days last month! Bliss!

clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:34:29

Museums I am tempted by. Need to be in Chelsea area by 5 ish. But would it be weird for a lone woman to wanted round the national history museum or science museum and are some kids still off school so likely to be packed ?????

Mum2jenny Thu 03-Nov-16 21:34:59

As you have the option, I'd go for it. I wish I did though!

NapQueen Thu 03-Nov-16 21:35:19

Won't your own dh be at work? So why can't he know.

clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:39:18

I suppose if I am off and he is at work I feel like I will be expected to do life admin stuff. And tbh work and life is pretty stressful right now and I just want some time when nobody wants a piece of me!

clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:39:56

He does know about me meeting my friend for dinner though

HamSandwichKiller Thu 03-Nov-16 21:42:36

Sounds fantastic. Tell no one and have a fabulous day.

Threepumpkins Thu 03-Nov-16 21:42:55

You could do an art gallery or the V & A. I would absolutely spend a day by myself there!

clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:47:13

I've only ever been in the v&a once. (The preserved bomb damage outside is weirdly only of my favorite things in london) what things to I need to see in there?

Art gallery is tempting but don't really know where to start

CrotchetQuaverMinim Thu 03-Nov-16 21:50:27

If it's weird for a lone woman to wander around museums or galleries, then those of us who are single, no children, and not many friends would have a very lonely life waiting til someone else was free to come do something with us! smile Channel the spirit of someone like that and just go wherever takes your fancy. Lunchtime concert? Museum of London? Kew Gardens? Somewhere for coffee and cake all to yourself?

MegBusset Thu 03-Nov-16 21:50:47

Sounds amazing. Definitely the V&A, there are so many different things to see, just wander around and see what takes your fancy.

I would also go for a long walk through the parks - Holland Park, Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park etc

clmustard Thu 03-Nov-16 21:56:50

Oh crochet I didn't mean I thought it was weird in general I just meant the science museum and nhm in particular. They seem quite child orientated ....but I am a science nerd

Chottie Thu 03-Nov-16 21:57:52

Just do it!

I love, love. love having a day to relax.

V&A is fab. There is a wonderful 60s exhibition on at the moment. There are also galleries on practically everything, so whatever your interest is there is a gallery. The coffee is good too smile

KickAssAngel Thu 03-Nov-16 21:59:24

museums are MADE for people on their own, particularly during the day!

If you want to do art, go the the Tate Britain. Go in numerical order (the rooms are numbered) as then it goes in chronological order, or join one of their free tours. It's my favourite art museum in the world. I very rarely get time in London on my own, and always go there.

Mistletoekids Thu 03-Nov-16 22:00:41

Ohhhhh yes! Do it!
I'd have a big lie in then go to a spa and maybe cinema if it were me

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 03-Nov-16 22:00:56

the science museum and nhm in particular. They seem quite child orientated ....but I am a science nerd

I've not been to the science museum yet but plenty of my colleagues go on their own. I have been to the NHM a few times, both alone and with friends/DP - Never with children. I think it's totally fine, they aren't overly childish, we saw plenty of other adults/couples without children.

Have a lovely time!

PuppetInParadize Thu 03-Nov-16 22:05:41

Definitely not weird to go to a gallery or museum alone. It's a great idea and it sounds like you need a break. Just do it!! Hope you have a lovely day.

BlackNo1 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:08:06

Lots of good ideas above.

Agree to [you] telling no one.
Would love a day like this. For me it would be a museum, light lunch then maybe cinemas (depending on an early start versus a lie-in)
Yes I would love a day such as this. It would be like Christmas, only not, better.

BlueBlueSkies Thu 03-Nov-16 22:10:28

I love going to art galleries on my own. The National Portrait Gallery is great and so interesting. I can spend hours in there.

The Victoria exhibition at Kensington Palace is good too.

Cinema on your own also feels quite decadent too.

Absolutely do not tell them what you are doing, they will find chores for you to do and you will get no time to yourself.

Sara107 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:13:42

Go for it, awol is a great idea. Places like the science museum are family friendly, but there is plenty there for adults - I love it. There's also the Wellcome Trust museum (medical type stuff, I've never been myself). Another place I'ld like to go is the Foundling hospital at Coram's Fields. Most of the museum's have decent cafes for lunch/cake stops. Hope you have a lovely day.

cakedup Thu 03-Nov-16 22:15:38

I am a Londoner and have been to Science museum and NHM loads (always with DS though) but no, it wouldn't be weird to go alone at all, and barely noticeable. Both places are massive and loads of people wandering about. Personally though, I'd rather go somewhere that isn't child-orientated or that DC don't want to go to if I wanted to treat myself. You can always go to SM or NHM with your DC. I'd go V&A as whenever we're in that area, DS would always rather go SM/NHM.

cakedup Thu 03-Nov-16 22:18:35

Having said that...Science Museum and NHM are complete MADNESS during half terms/weekends. I only ever take DS on inset days or on a hot day in the summer holidays (even then it can be pretty packed). So yeh, not a bad idea to go now, I think all kids are back at school now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now