Advanced search

To want to do something about my neighbour's treatment of his kids

(11 Posts)
NeonPinkNails Thu 03-Nov-16 20:29:35

The house next to us is rented and the current tenants have been there maybe 6 months. We don't know much about them, however we constantly hear the father (?) shouting at the children who look to be about 8, maybe a bit younger. He gets really nasty and goes on for ages at them, the other day we also think we heard one of them say 'stop hitting me' sad.

I've definitely shouted at my DD before and I know kids can be hard work but this sounds more than that. I know it's probably none of my business but I don't feel right just ignoring it. I don't fancy speaking to them as the only time I have (when I had to ask them to turn their music down) the woman behaved like a sulky teenager. We do know the owners of the house but when we've had issues with tenants before they've made it clear they don't really want to get involved.

WWYD? I don't like hearing kids treated like this and don't think we should have to listen to their intrusive yelling either but I'm not sure if we'd be within our rights to do or say something.

Ratbagcatbag Thu 03-Nov-16 20:31:12

Ring social services. That's what I'd do. And maybe their school if you know which it is. As they would also look out for them and will have safe guarding procedures in place.

SingaSong12 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:35:07

If you are concerned you could report concerns to social services, details on Council website. If you aren't confident whether to do that please phone NSPCC for advice-

Get advice and support
Talk to our experts on 0808 800 5000 if you're worried about a child or need advice or information about child protection

Reallycbawiththat Thu 03-Nov-16 20:36:08

Really you need to phone social services. We all have responsibility for safeguarding children. The family may already be known to them. If there is no problem there really is no harm done. Do it.

Sweets101 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:37:09

If you have concerns you should definitely report it, as per the advice above

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Thu 03-Nov-16 20:38:11

Ring social services and tell them what you've heard, particularly the 'stop hitting me' comment. Keep a log of anything you hear from now onwards.

You say it's not your business but it's everyone's business when it comes to safeguarding children. If you don't say anything and the next person says nothing and then the next person - well, that potentially leaves vulnerable children suffering.

Hopefully your concerns are unfounded - but leave that to social services to ascertain.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Thu 03-Nov-16 20:39:31

Absolutely report to social services. Anyone can report a concern, you don't have to be in a "position of authority".

btfly2 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:24:51

Don't hesitate and ring the social services or the nspcc children charity organisation. Not a single child deserves that kind of treatment. Thanks for your concern and help the kids , you won't regret it.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 03-Nov-16 21:27:24

Yes op

Keep a diary
Ring and report

Poor kids and brave you for addressing this

Lostmyunicorn Thu 03-Nov-16 21:54:28

Please report it. Do it now. We are all responsible for keeping children safe. Let the authorities or maybe the nspcc make the call about what needs to be done following that. You can report anonymously. You might be the one person who helps these children and keeps them safe.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 03-Nov-16 22:12:21

It's possible that this family are already known to Social Services, but if not they should be.

Please do your bit to safeguard these children by making the necessary phone call. If you're worried about repercussions call the NSPCC tonight and report anonymously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now