Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Being Brave

(7 Posts)
FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Thu 03-Nov-16 19:22:58

Being brave and speaking up for yourself is hard, right? Saying exactly what you mean and being true to yourself takes a lot of gin and courage, no?

Tips welcome!

ditzychick34 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:20:51

Let me know how to when you find out smile

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Nov-16 20:24:52

I find this much easier if I feel something is unjust to other people funnily enough.

Meaning, I find it easier to speak up for others than myself.

I don't know why - maybe something to do with subconsciously thinking people will think I'm a right stroppy cow if I fight my own corner but they won't think that if I'm speaking for others? confused

OneMillionScovilles Thu 03-Nov-16 20:31:55

I'm with Salmotrutta - I'm a force to be feared if someone's wronged one of my friends, but tend to be quiet if it's about me.

Exception being if it's part of a broader "wrongdoing" - eg I'm bi and will call out homo-/biphobia whether it's directed at me or someone else. I suppose it still feels less about me personally...?

AmeliaJack Thu 03-Nov-16 20:34:22

Yes it is hard.

Do it anyway. Without the gin.

It's generally better than seething with resentment.

Don't use it as an excuse to be nasty though. Stay calm and sober and hold on to the moral high ground.

OneMillionScovilles Thu 03-Nov-16 20:37:30

Although, (and if anyone knows me this will be massively outing, but WTH) - in certain areas of my life lately I'm trying to adopt a policy of radical, Use Your Words honesty. It's terrifying and deeply uncomfortable - eg think about telling someone outright you're attracted to them rather than doing the standard British will-we-won't-we, better-order-more-wine, dance!

My life is better for having made that decision smile Advocate for yourself! - you deserve to be stood up for every bit as much as your friends do.

FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Fri 04-Nov-16 08:48:51

Yes! Yes, to all the comments.

It is difficult, and definitely not a reason to be nasty, but I really want to be true to myself and know that I am worth while sticking up for too.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now